Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the average lifespan of a registry collection?

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
This thread probably belongs on the registry forum, but there isn't much traffic there.

In looking through the registry I'm intrigued by the large number of retired sets. I'm a relatively new player to the game but I'm already seeing plenty of "churn" when it comes to the sets I follow. I can think of numerous examples of watching a flurry of upgrades, only to see the set retired a short time later. A huge weakness for me is a complete absence from the hobby for a couple of decades between being a YN and my return to collecting. Was this sort of thing happening before the development of the registry? In snowmobiling we call this "highmarking". The guy who can put the highest track on the mountain "wins." Has the onset of TPGs and the registry itself created this sort of buy/sell/flip behavior?

While there are certainly fine sets that are created and maintained, there are others which come and go in a short period. I'd love to see what a statistician would find.

Comments

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea on the average lifespan ...
    but I like using the Registry/Showcase to help keep track of what I have in my collection, so I find it valuable on an inventory level.

"Color of Money" Showcase

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot less than the person putting together in most cases. And yes I have seem a few dealer's do that high marking. But I liken it to what the mutt does to trees.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess a high percentage of the registry sets never make it 10 years. No solid data, just from my observations. I know both sets I sold (Lincoln/Jefferson) lasted 5+ years after deciding to move on
    to something else. I've seen a lot of people on these forums do the same.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image yeah I used to have over 50 sets now have 4 complete and playing with about six. None will ever be Top Row.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PCGS all time high (archive) of best ever sets tends to encourage this quick-ish pull-together, get your mark on the board, and then dismantle. The NGC registry doesn't have this "hall of fame" listing of previous top sets -- and so to remain "#1" you have to keep your set together.

Regardless of the flavor of choice, most of the registry competitive stuff is just ego stroking as far as I can tell. I use the registries as a way to organize and display my coins -- not a means to get bragging rights. Collecting isn't about a competition for me. To each his/her own.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file