Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you seen the new NGC super-fat standard holder yet??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up my most recent SC$ purchase at the PO this morning, an HK-667 that has quite high relief. Much to my surprise it's in a holder which is almost 5/8'ths of an inch thick. It makes the old no-line fatty look sveldt by comparison. I can't get a picture, but has anyone else seen one yet?? Got a picture??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Probably won't either.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to say these have been around for maybe 4 or more years?

Prior to the introduction of these NGC encapsulated many SCD's which are thicker so tightly in their standard holder that the clear acrylic bulged.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple but no pics with me, they are quite useful for some of the very high relief medals and ancients also.
  • Options
    Just checked as I bought my first in late 2010 and believe these were introduced early that year.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just checked as I bought my first in late 2010 and believe these were introduced early that year. >>

They have been around for longer than that. NEN posted a thread here back in 2008 on them with a picture included.

Link here

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    holy cow, how did I miss the boat on this??imageimage

I know back around 2004-5 I had NGC encapsulate an HK-12 Pacific Railroad that suffered what Frank described w/the bulge. another that is really high relief is the HK-471 Italian Dollar but this new medal, the Catskill Aqueduct, is by far the highest relief I have seen. without the thicker holder it would have needed to go in something else, maybe the really big ones for larger medals. that would not have looked good. way to go NGC.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the super fat PCGS holders? I've seen the Baseball HOF coins and UHRs in them.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you seen the super fat PCGS holders? I've seen the Baseball HOF coins and UHRs in them.

-Paul >>

Picked up the Cal Ripken Jr Label ( part of the signature series ? ) in NGC holders, of the new HOF silver dollars recently released through the mint in those thick holders from MCM a couple weeks ago. They're meaty, no doubt.

And I personally think , as FAT goes, they are PHAT.

Slap the modern crap outta me, will ya ? image
  • Options
    hey, how are you guys storing these NewGenFatties??
  • Options

<< <i>hey, how are you guys storing these NewGenFatties?? >>

NEN sent me a storage box that has no interior dividers which is great for these chubby slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file