Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCExchange RSS Feed

I'm new to the forums (but not the the Internet) image

For those of you that use RSS feeds, you might find this interesting:
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=e44d9474551a540b3d1cd6247deedc89&_render=rss&searchfor=1975+Topps

I created a Yahoo Pipe to take a BBCExchange search and turn it into an RSS feed. This way you will be able to keep up with BBCE's inventory in real time. If you add that URL into your favorite RSS reader, it should allow you to keep tabs on items as they are stocked. All you have to do is change the small part in the URL after "searchfor"

For example, if you wanted to keep a tabs on 1989 Donruss (not sure why you would), then you could use a url like this:
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=e44d9474551a540b3d1cd6247deedc89&_render=rss&searchfor=1989+Donruss

Use a + sign instead of a space in your search query.

I know this may be a bit technical for some, but give it a go and see what happens.

Happy hunting!

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Very cool! Works like a charm. Thanks for sharing.

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Thanks and welcome to the boards.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    thanks ! it worked I think Is there a way to do something like this to be alerted whenever any new product is added to the site ?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    keats .. that's pretty cool. I am not very computer savvy ... So can you tell me what the difference is doing it this way as opposed to going to Steve's site and just put "1975 Topps" in the Search Box? Thank You.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Doug,

The difference is the RSS feed is proactive, sitting idle while constantly monitoring the site for new offerings that meet your search criteria in "real time".

It's automatic versus you having to monitor the site manually all day hoping you happen to be on the site the moment the item you want is listed.

Pretty cool, Keats, I will definitely check this out... thank you!

Snorto~
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Snortman ... so you would keep the RSS window open and it would add/delete items that match your search automatically? If Steve added and sold items, they would automatically appear/disappear?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Doug,

If you use Google Chrome as your browser, you can install add-ins. One RSS example is:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rss-feed-reader

This will add a little icon to your main browser toolbar that looks like a radio signal. You can then add your custom BBCE search to the reader tool. The feed reader will run your search every 10 minutes (or faster if you like). As soon as it detects a change in the RSS feed, it will show a little icon to let you know that there is a new "hit" in your search. All you do then is click the Feed Icon in your browser bar and it will show you what was added to BBCE and give you a link.

I know there are similar tools for Firefox (probably Internet Explorer as well). Tell me your browser of choice and I'll see if I can help set you up.

Thnx,
    Mike
  • Options
    Cool. It looks like Internet Explorer has a built in feed reader. If you're using IE then you can type the feed URL into the url bar, e.g.:
    http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=e44d9474551a540b3d1cd6247deedc89&_render=rss&searchfor=1975+Topps+mini

IE will give you a prompt at the top of the window to ask you if you would like to "subscribe to this feed", say yes, and it will be added to your feeds tab. You can then right click on the feed and say "add to favorites bar" and now you'll have it listed on your favorites toolbar!