Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Great in-person experience!

I meant to post this last week but life got in the way, as it always seems to do. My 10 year old and I went to a charity auction and in attendance was Bobby Cox. In the two and a half hours or so we were there, I don't think I ever saw him stop smiling. He was the most genuine, friendly "celebrity" I've ever met in my entire life and was great with my son. He was engaging and entertaining and really made you feel like he enjoyed talking with you. I can't say enough about the guy. As a Yankees fan who has lived in Alabama all my life (I was a catcher in little league and Thurman Munson was my favorite player - never was north of Tennessee until my early 20s), I have gone to tons of Braves games and my sons are Braves fans first. I have an even greater appreciation for the Bobby Cox Braves era now as I understand what you hear so many players say about him.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
www.questfortherookiecup.com

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pic. It's nice to hear there are still good people out there.
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    That's awesome stuff! Much deserving of his induction this summer!
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    That's great! Nice photo too
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. Must have been a fun dad/son day!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Where was the banquet? Dwight gooden is suppose to be at rickwood field next month for the classic.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's GREAT!

Thanks for sharing.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    love to see posts like this.
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    I like it when when goods guys get some love
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Awesome picture!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Almost to a man, anyone who played for him loves him unreservedly.

Did you ask him about Thurman? Bobby was the first base coach for the '77 Yankees.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where was the banquet? Dwight gooden is suppose to be at rickwood field next month for the classic. >>

Thanks for all the comments guys. I met him at the Chris Hammond Youth Foundation charity auction in Birmingham. That's awesome to hear Dwight Gooden is going to be at the Classic. I've been to a few of those and they always have a former player - I've seen Dale Murphy and Gaylord Perry that I can recall. Thanks for the heads up on the Doctor! I'll try and catch that one.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
  • Options

<< <i>Almost to a man, anyone who played for him loves him unreservedly.

Did you ask him about Thurman? Bobby was the first base coach for the '77 Yankees. >>

I actually didn't. I wish I'd thought of that. Beleive it or not I spoke to him mostly about a common acquaintance we have that is a neighbor of his at his farm.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I like hearing stories like this, ya hear too much of the other kind of stories where athletes & such try to avoid the public.

• Options

<< <i>I like hearing stories like this, ya hear too much of the other kind of stories where athletes & such try to avoid the public. >>

I agree. I've had the opposite experience as well (like many others have said Willie Mays is on that list for me). Bobby Cox definitely made two huge fans that night for sure. Thanks again for all the comments.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Awesome picture!!! Glad you and your son had a great experience with Bobby. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.