Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"Security Strip" across top load holders

To prevent card swapping out by buyers. Is it wise to seal the top load across the top with a sticker of sorts and mark it so if it's removed it will be obvious? Can you state in your EBAY listing that if the seal is broken there are no returns? Will EBAY approve of this condition of sale? Before I got a computer, a friend of mine sold my 10 McGwire rookies for me when he broke Maris record with an applied security strip across the top load with the notation if seal is broken, return voided. These sold through EBAY. Did not have to worry on returns, as none wanted to return them. But what are the rules now, if any denoting a security seal. I suppose on older cards a buyer would want to take the card out to verify any evidence of trimming. This I could understand. So what to do. How do you deal with this? Any opinions would be appreciated as in the future I will start using the BST/EBAY sites, and want to know the ground rules.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    With eBay and Paypal, it means nothing. What's to stop unscrupulous people from top loading reprints/fakes, putting a security seal on it and mailing it out?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i just received a 200+ dollar raw card in a Card Saver with the security/void sticker across the top. what the heck good does that do for a seller with a 14-day return policy?
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The "security strip" isn't going to hold any water if the buyer files a SNAD case.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. All good points. I guess when the time comes will just have to trust the buyers like everyone else has to.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i just received a 200+ dollar raw card in a Card Saver with the security/void sticker across the top. what the heck good does that do for a seller with a 14-day return policy? >>

So what is the purpose of putting one on in the first place?
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So what is the purpose of putting one on in the first place? >>

The same reason people lock their houses. It keeps honest people honest. A real criminal will find a way to take what he wants, no matter what.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    no. there is no logical purpose to putting a security sticker on a Card Saver, which theoretically denies the recipient the right to automatically approve the item. instead, that person would theoretically be required to take a risk of opening said Card Saver to PROPERLY examine a card, which is impossible if it can't be removed from the Card Saver. as eBay buyers, we know that we are entitled to approval of items we receive. anyone who wishes to question motives can go right ahead. i personally would not accept such a proposal if it meant that i had no recourse once the sticker was removed.

in short, it's a stupid ploy by any eBay seller to anticipate bullying buyers into accepting goods without complete inspection.

now if you prefer to discuss a card which is already professionally slabbed, then there is a security method in place which we've been trained to accept.