Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1933 Goudey

Thinking of collecting this classic set. Any advice?

I'd like to shoot for PSA 3, but realistically will have to select some twos. What average price (big 6 aside) do you think is reasonable?

Would you risk ungraded cards that appear 2+ in scans?

Thanks,

Collecting Rockies, HOFers, and my favorites from the 70s through today.

Comments

• Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    I started my set 3 grade psa level a year ago. Has worked out well so far. I have graded a few but all came back lower than I hoped. But still got a okay grade. I like the set. The next one I am going focus on . I have one card psa 6 level of the 1955 topps left. Good luck
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I am working on the set as well with a PSA 3 grade goal, no Lajoie. I plan to get the Ruths and Gehrigs in 1s and make up the points by picking up other stars in 4-6 when affordable. Such has worked out thus far. I am a little over 20 percent done with two Ruths and one Gehrig in my set. I generally try to look for good deals on commons in the 3-5 range.

Matt
  • Options
    Hi -
    I happen to have a 1933 Babe Ruth Goudey up for auction right now in Julien's Sports Auction. Bidding is taking place now through June 9th. My Babe Ruth was graded a 3.

I also have a Mickey Mantle 1958, a Reggie Jackson rookie (1969) and a few other vintage cards.

Anyway, check out the link to the auction? Maybe you can start your 1933 Goudey collection with my Ruth card image

Here is a link to the current, online auction at Julien's:

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/127/

Lot # 6, on the very first page, is my 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth card.

Lot # 185 is my 1958 Topps Mickey Mantle

Lot # 411 is my Lucius Appling card

Lot # 419 is my 1969 mint Reggie Jackson rookie card.

Check them out?

Thanks!

image LHS
    Lawrence
  • Options
    Hi Lawrence,
    I checked out the auction. Does it really have a 28% buyer's premium?
    Thanks,
    Jim
  • Options
    hi - not sure about the premium. but everything is authenticated and graded and it might be a good chance to pick up some good deals?
    Lawrence
  • Options
    mbz430embz430e Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Just a thought, 1910 p2 pins are a really cool collectible. Talk about a set that is affordable in a 3 and bursting with baseball lore. Cobb, Young, Johnson, Collins just to name a few. Nice thing about the pins, there is still a good deal of raw material that you can grade yourself. I am in the process of completing a PSA 8+ set and it may be the coolest set I have collected. Large letter, small letter and variations make it equally challenging. The Damn things are over a hundred years old, that is cool in itself. Check them out before you decide. 33 Goudeys are sweet too. Good luck!
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I love P2 pins, but go for a few grades higher than a 3. I recommend looking at 6 or higher, because on commons, seldom does anything less get submitted, and they're not that expensive in that grade.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    mbz430embz430e Posts: 237 ✭✭
    I would agree, you can build a set in a 6 without too much of an issue. There are some low pop's that will be tough even in a 6. Worth a hard look.

John
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....