Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collecting trends

I have been some what active on this board since around 2006-7 and I have noticed some trends in the collecting habits of the members here.

When I first became active on this board, the soup du jour of collecting then was the Set Registery Fever. This fever still exists today, it just seems that it isn't quite at the same level as it once was. Now, I maybe way off base on my diagnosing the decrease of the fever, it just doesn't seem that their are as many people chasing humpteen million different sets.

We had a TTM stage. There used to be about three or four threads about TTMs on the first page all the time. Now, one has to dig to find a single thread about any auto'ed older common. I always liked those threads.

Next, the wrestling phase. My least favorite so far. No knock on the collectors who have the passion, just not my cup of tea. However, I do have mad respect for their passion and that is what collecting is all about!

Unopened Madness! This is where we are today. Some have been focused on this for years, some are new to the game. It will be interesting to see how this trend goes. I have to take a back seat to this, for I lack the ability to NOT rip any unopened material to shreds.

Anyone willing to take any stabs at will be the Hot collecting habits in 2016?
Scoreboard Malfunction

Comments

• Options
    I'm not around as long but based on my time here my bet is on an uptick in focus on mid grade, strong eye appeal vintage cards as supply of ultra high grade cards gets pricier and unopened soars.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Broder Fever!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the nature of forums is to fuel crazes. When people see pictures of cool stuff, it fires them up to get in on it. It's happened to me a couple of times here, and it's definitely happening now with unopened.

I love unopened vintage material and have for over a decade. I can't really understand the desire to own pallets of junk wax, but chaque un a son gout.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Game Used Undergarments!
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Game Used Undergarments! >>

We've already had that. Its so yesterday....

(I knew I saved that pic for a reasonimage )
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting topic.

You also have to throw the signed rookie card boom into the mix. I haven't seen a lot of active discussion on that topic in a while.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ah. i know now everything i need to know about Albert. how much? imageimage
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i think:
    1) agree that mid-range graded is a good place to focus on vintage across the board but especially in baseball, it's much more affordable than high ends so you can really collect and still presents plenty of opportunities for some really nice looking cards
    2) i think we're likely to see 70s and 80s basketball HOFers tick up even further as those guys start to pass - we still have 40+ of the NBA 50 greatest guys around, but some of them are getting up there and so are the lesser knowns from that era - plus they're tough cards in high grades and they just aren't that plentiful anyway
    3) I'm hoping that the cut up memorabilia phase is about over, there's nothing worse than taking nice game used jerseys and cutting them up into 1 inch pieces, and that all assumes the thing was actually game used in the first place (so many articles and "discoveries" of things not being what they were represented to be)
    4) I've believed for 5+ years now that golf autographs are due to move much higher - I remember collecting the 2001-2004 UD and SP stuff back then, you could have Nicklaus/Palmer/Tiger autos for $150-200 each until you ran out of money. Those have moved up a fair bit since, if Tiger can get back on track toward that Majors record I suspect we'll recover any ground lost, and again the greats are getting pretty old now (Arnie 84, Gary 78, Jack is 74). I also think Major winners theme pieces (even if it's just signed cards of say US Open Champs) will start to find their way into more collections, the star power for the dollar is pretty enticing still. If you've ever tried to get Tiger or Jack in person, then you'll know how hard it is to collect this stuff.
    5) Lower grade signed RCs of HOFers is something I see more and more of now, I suspect that holds true going forward. You'd never have put a Bart Starr signature on a PSA 8 or better RC, but a nice looking 5 with a signature is a really awesome piece.
    6) I think some of the steroids era guys are an interesting look right now - guys like McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, etc. were not particularly easy signatures to get and they don't do a ton of signings now, and when they do turn up they are crazy expensive. Same for their cards, you could probably start accumulating some good high end stuff at decent or depressed prices. Just look how late 70s unopened is exploding right now, we're only 4-5 years away from hitting some of these guys RCs. Yes, production is super increased, but the high end is still the high end. I could see these things rebounding in a BIG way over the next 5-10 years if somehow people start getting in the Hall, or if grading standards get tougher it could nullify the increased production numbers.

Interested to hear from others
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the great Patrick Bateman once said...

I

JUST

WANT

TO

FIT

IN.

Thus, I am going to wait for trends to start up, then rush in to buy the stuff and brandish it for props. Then sell it when the next trend starts up.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the star on top craze. Of course, most of it was/is fake IMHO. I'm sure somebody is working on replicating BBCE wrap as we speak.

The big bucks on the wax craze will bring out the scammers.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure somebody is working on replicating BBCE wrap as we speak. >>

Unfortunately I agree with this statement. I don't collect or buy vintage unopened but if I did I would likely only buy from BBCE directly. Which is no different than before they started shrink wrapping product. How long till we see an ebay listing for 1979 topps baseball empty box, wrappers, gum, carefully removed BBCE shrinkwrap and a BBCE business card? Please correct me if I am not aware of something that would prevent this from happening. Edited to note that I can't even get regular saran wrap to work when trying to wrap a sandwich so dealing with previously used shrink wrap is likely not easy but the possibility exists for fraud in a big way.
  • Options
    i'll give you 10 dollars if you take that picture of the Pujols package holder down imageimage
  • Options
    Errors and variations.
    Wrong backs Blank backs.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I'd venture that this forum will never be a "player collector's" oasis. The crazes of TTM, non-sport/obscure sport rookies, and vintage unopened product will be hard to top; no CU site trend has ever compared to any of these in my time here.

Through all of this time though, this forum centered on high grade vintage singles and set building; I suspect that will remain constant.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm sure somebody is working on replicating BBCE wrap as we speak. >>

Unfortunately I agree with this statement. I don't collect or buy vintage unopened but if I did I would likely only buy from BBCE directly. Which is no different than before they started shrink wrapping product. How long till we see an ebay listing for 1979 topps baseball empty box, wrappers, gum, carefully removed BBCE shrinkwrap and a BBCE business card? Please correct me if I am not aware of something that would prevent this from happening. Edited to note that I can't even get regular saran wrap to work when trying to wrap a sandwich so dealing with previously used shrink wrap is likely not easy but the possibility exists for fraud in a big way. >>

Suddenly, the idea of keeping the already authenticated box in the original BBCE packaging seems like a good idea. I'd venture to say some type of BBCE hologram with a unique serial number will exist down the line? Heck, maybe do an AFA type thing for BBCE and put them in plastic tombs? Of course they'd have to update their website first! image
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90s inserts/parallels/unopened - as early 80s and before gets too expensive to rip and late 80s-1992ish has no chance of anything useful, rippers gotta rip and have something to chase

+1 for bounce's #4, golf in general is heavily undervalued outside of early Bobby Jones in top grade.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd venture that this forum will never be a "player collector's" oasis. >>

Except for Bo.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Interesting post. I have been oblivious to changes in trends. My focus is, and always has been on completing sets from 59-72 in PSA 8. I my never get there, but I have enjoyed the journey. One change I have notices is that many commons, even in the early and mid sixties, are barely worth the grading fees in PSA 8.
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    I think the graded market will continue to improve. People like me that just got back in a few years ago have extra money and time. Young enough to grow collection. Old enough to enjoy what collecting brings to each of us. I am 49 by the way.
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    What does ttm mean?
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What does ttm mean? >>

Through the mail, as in autographs.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    i like the guess of mid-90s inserts, and will add premium 90s unopened to the mix.