Home Autographs Forum
Options

Have an authentication question....

Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
It's been ages since I've been here. I recently acquired this over sized postcard (8x10) and want to get the sigs authenticated. Will PSA actually accept and/or slab something like this?

http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/Jarhead/startrek.jpg

Comments

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hello,

Can't see your pic. Classic Trek? I see now - bad link.
    Yes, they would certainly examine an 8x10 (it is a standard size).
    Unfortunately, these are poor forgeries - several are misspelled: "M(?)ichelle" (what kind of "N" is that? Where is the second "N"? Last name??? Can you read it?), "Nimoy"(how many letters can one fit between "N" and "oy"?), the "Leonard" (again, how many letters?), and they are incorrectly formed (all).
    I have never seen a Shatner end with an "r" like that (or start with a combo "W" like yours for that matter).
    By the time this item claims to be signed (this is felt tip pen mind you) Shatner was abbreviating his name - he stopped signing his full name which looks nothing like this, by around 1970 and started to sign most of his name again around 1980 but then he turned back to abbreviation again (but even his earlier sigs, unless a contract etc., are often abbreviated with just a "W", "i" "ll" and a dash for "William").
    The "S" in "Shatner", poor shape it is, should connect to the "h" here...but at that point in time the "D" in "De Forest" should not quite be this curly thing (also wrong shape/formation - should start with a down stroke) but a more readily identifiable simpler cursive "D" (C. 1975).
    The Nimoy is nothing like his mid 1970's form - it appears to be later yet in the same pen and by the same hand as Shatner & Nichols. The Kelley appears by a different hand than the others and drawn by someone who at least looked at a Kelley signature. They are all mixed up time-wise, show hesitance and exhibit spelling and formation problems and all end very oddly. Sorry.

I post my own vintage collection ( I know I need bigger scans):

All vintage Star Trek set. Earliest signature forms I have seen for Kirk/Spock/McCoy on Trek material. The Shatner is 1967/68 as well as the Spock and McCoy (those are Fan Club 5x7's). Now completed with 1968 Majel Barrett (in b/w, not shown here) and several Langley & Assoc. publicity lithographs which are also not shown here.
    Took me about 10 years to get this where I want it. As many in character signatures as I could get (McCoy, Scotty, Spock) - the Kelley/McCoy was signed and dedicated to the on-set nurse. The matching 8x10 went on about having to drop his pants every time he saw this nurse for injections, so I sold it as I did not really care for the inscription and it was not signed "Dr. McCoy". The whole set was obtained from eBay for very little $ apart from the Scotty which I bought in NYC from a dealer friend ($30). I have met these Bridge folks as well and they signed, but I collect vintage sigs so that's what you see. image
    Authentication by yours truly.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    Thanks. Not much of an auto collector. Came across these by chance and because they were not authenticated, the seller let me have cheap. The pic is really bad. Took it with a my phone right after I put it in a frame (which didn't help the quality of the pic). I figured it'd make a good conversation piece at the minimum, but it would be nice I could get an expert opinion. Supposedly, it came from a larger collection where the original owner acquired these sigs at conventions. There were other photos of misc sci-fic related actors in the group, some with certification, others without. Obviously, this one didn't have it.
  • Options
    Here are some blow-ups of the pic. Sorry, but Angelfire will not allow me to directly link an image.

http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/Jarhead/st_autos/st.htm
  • Options
    Hi,

No problem. Just leave off HTTP:// on your links and they work fine image
    If you are looking for some vintage Trek I have a signed poetry book all about making Star Trek by De Kelley - you could only get it in person- he self published it.

Eric
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the OP's photos:

I've been collecting Star Trek autographs for over 20 years, and unfortunately, none of these look good to me.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Here are the OP's photos:

I've been collecting Star Trek autographs for over 20 years, and unfortunately, none of these look good to me.

Seve >>

Yes, those are really quite terrible forgeries. To someone unfamiliar with the early signature forms these may all look bad, including my genuine examples.

Eric

• Options
    Well, Angelfire, whatever it is, seems to be a big POS!

When I originally got the photos to appear, everything was fine, then the Nimoy and Shatner disappeared. I then got them all to appear again, only for the Nichols and Kelley to disappear. Now the Nichols and Kelley are there, but the Nimoy and Shatner won't show up.

My advise is to stick to photobucket!

Steve

And now, they're all there!

WTF!!!

• Options
    I got news for you - they are all back down! image

ERic
  • Options
    Ah, maybe post some of your stuff SDSportsFan? image

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>Ah, maybe post some of your stuff SDSportsFan? image

Eric >>

I'll give it a shot Eric, but it could take a while. I've gone to a few of the conventions over the years, and have a 3" D-ring binder full of signed 8x10s from all five series.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ah, maybe post some of your stuff SDSportsFan? image

Eric >>

I'll give it a shot Eric, but it could take a while. I've gone to a few of the conventions over the years, and have a 3" D-ring binder full of signed 8x10s from all five series.

Steve >>

No problem - Really interested in the first show. Nothing more. The first few films..

Thanks! Will keep an eye out.

Eric