Comments

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattTheRiley said:
    Can I get some help identifying this generation of slab? It looks to fall between 10.3 and 11.

Missing the two dots and the green hologram, but still has the PCGS printing on the back of the label.

...it is my understanding that this was done to bulk-orders only...the DuPont stickers went to retail-customers ;)

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@MattTheRiley said:
    Can I get some help identifying this generation of slab? It looks to fall between 10.3 and 11.

Missing the two dots and the green hologram, but still has the PCGS printing on the back of the label.

...it is my understanding that this was done to bulk-orders only...the DuPont stickers went to retail-customers ;)

But it's missing the dots too. It appears to be an old slab, new label. Before the plastic with the dots were used and the DuPont hologram, but they started using the new inside labels.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattTheRiley said:

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@MattTheRiley said:

But it's missing the dots too. It appears to be an old slab, new label. Before the plastic with the dots were used and the DuPont hologram, but they started using the new inside labels.

...you want a $7 hot dog...you get a freshly boiled all-beef frank with steamed bun and all the fixings...you want 300 of them???...k let me see what’s already cut up and available in the back of the house...you will get your 300 but they might not all be equally created and dressed...it will cost you only $3 per hot dog though ;)

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm told the management at PCGS was frugal and they liked to use up what they had rather than throw it away - there are several examples of transitional slabs using parts of the old and the new and this looks like another of them.

Wonder if they still have a few Regency parts laying around..... :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Curious what your take is on this:

Elements of a Generation 4 and 6 (PCGS numbering). Rather confusing. No prongs, QR code but no bottom hologram, old style hologram on the outside of the plastic covering the QR code, weight is 51.6g.

That IS an interesting slab - looks like they cleaned out the warehouse and found some old parts again. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    That IS an interesting slab - looks like they cleaned out the warehouse and found some old parts again. :D

Could this be a counterfeit or a slab that was put together outside of PCGS using two different slab halves.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

That was my first thought when seeing the cracks on the sides of the obverse, but then talked myself into it being real.

edited January 8, 2020 9:42PM

@Lakesammman Do you know when this reverse label began to be used? Is this a gen13 sub type?

My Lincoln Registry

• 86Saab86Saab Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@coinbuf ~ I estimate that label was used Apr/May 2019 - Feb 2020. I've been working to put together a PCGS list, like my ANACS list by fusing the PCGS Museum of holders list and @Lakesammman list posted here as I was thoroughly confused trying to reconcile the two in my head. I wanted a downloadable printable list for myself so here it is, I hope it's useful to others as well. I am happy to have you all look it over and let me know if I messed anything up or left anything out. Keep in mind I haven't proofed it yet so there are probably grammar errors and such. No stepping on toes intended, I just wanted to have a more complete chronological list for myself and I thought I'd share it.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12RHOtMZhCCOB7GmAu1VDvBClS_UNNyI-VfYzN5KXq5o/edit?usp=sharing

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Continued kudos to Lakes for making this thread something of historical importance.

Drunner

@86Saab Great presentation, I have the different generation version listed together but not in such a nicely formatted way. Well done!

My Lincoln Registry

Just thought I'd post this one. I just picked up because it's the same "transition" holder as @MattTheRiley's Morgan but was used at least a year after this holder was supposed to have been discontinued. Is it possible they found some old holders lying around and just used them? Or if they were used for bulk submissions, were they still being used over a year into the "new" Dupont holder? Can it still be called a transition holder a year after the holder was discontinued?

Finally acquired the latest slab with the chip technology and added it to the thread.

As always, if you see errors or have a interesting transitional slab, PM me. :+1:

86Saab - thanks for the link - not sure how I overlooked it in April - looking forward to reading/digesting it!!

Added 2 Gen. 13 slabs to the thread today.

@Lakesammman No problem, I look forward to hearing what you think of my attempt. I'm not easily upset so please feel free to make suggestions or point out any mistakes I've made. If I disagree with anything I'll just ignore it! ;)

• mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Really cool thread, Instant primer on PCGS holders! Looks like they still offer the "Generations Series" holder for +$7 a coin these days. What do folks around here think of those?
    https://pcgs.com/labels/GenerationSeries

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree Mothra. This thread is a great resource.
    I like the looks of the Gen 2 labels. The gold shield looks great with the green background.

• joelazjoelaz Posts: 11 ✭✭

I see a couple coins on Ebay now that have the Certification number on the Reverse under the PCGS hologram, instead of the usual cert number on obverse label. PCGS cert verification says they are valid, are they in fact good to go?

@joelaz Do you have a link or photo to one of them?

joelaz:

That's a promotional piece from 2010 with a "special promotion" label rather than a PCGS "generation" label. It's not a label you would receive, for example, with a type coin.

• joelazjoelaz Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 6:12AM

So is it legit? PCGS certification lookup says Okay, just wanted to be sure. I'd never seen a cert number on the back before, but have been out of coins for awhile.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file