Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I Must Be Missing Something... 1976 Ryan 7?

Saw this card on the bay for my Ryan run; looked way better than the assigned grade so pulled the trigger. Gets to the crib, and for the life of me under light and loupe I cannot see why the grade. Gonna put it beside the 53B Mick in my favorite low grade pile!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Looks Fantastic!

you've got me wanting to do this too! LOL
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PSA grades this card really tough, especially more for the dark area of the focal area than the corners and edges. It does look great. I know it doesn't help for registry or value...but this is a great example of the card being nicer than the "technical" grade on the slab! image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High end for the grade, no question. Looks like a solid 8 to me. I foresee Matty cracking this one out in the near future. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    is that dugout wall very proved to "snow"?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>is that dugout wall very proved to "snow"? >>

I'm guessing that is why it was net graded NM 7, but it still looks good enough for an 8, imo.

Registration is one factor most collectors minimize in favor of centering and corners, but PSA weighs it fairly significantly when assigning the grade.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, had no prob crushing the VCP avg on this one-- not when I saw the 9s would've cost a couple hundo. This little guy ran me just 44 bucks and to my eye, it beat the tar out of a bunch of 9s I'd passed on, LOL.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    yeah, that card has all sorts of differing background flaws, which is why a PSA 9 or 10 costs a small fortune. my old days vending experience with '76 Topps included several Ryans which had what i like to call "fluttering birds" in that background. none earned better than 8.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for comparison...

9 with rugged surface bubble on right side...

9 with rugged PD in text...

9 with rugged snow...