Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Yet another unopened collection!

Hey Everyone,

I've been inspired by the most recent posts by everyone with their collections, and while mine pales in comparison to those, I thought I would continue with "show your unopened collection sunday" with some of my favorite things in my collection...

Its weird that I start off this thread with this card, but it really got me back in collecting about four years ago. I grew up in the 80's and 90's listening to my dad tell me stories about the great Mickey Mantle. He was by far my dad's favorite player and I grew to admire him as well. I had always wanted a 1956 topps mickey mantle card. In fact, I saved for a while to get this card. It still is, and probably will always be the cornerstone to my collection. I cant afford his rookie so I thought this would be the next best thing. image

Well, I thought, why not just do the whole set in 1956 topps psa 7? So, its been a labor of love, but I'm about 20% complete. Here is my progress so far.

image[/URL]

I joined these message boards and starting to read, with interest, a lot of the unopened threads. On one of the group breaks, I dived in and purchased these three boxes, with all intent and purposes of ripping them. They still live....

[image

Then came the next group break and I bought these...81 topps and 82 topps cello boxes!

Then came this.....also from a sealed case!

At this point, I'm thinking, what to do....keep on working on the set, or just start buying unopened like its going out of style.....well, we can let the pictures give you the answer! image

Ahhh...what the heck, lets get some football too....

Love my 81 topps cello box, non x-out

Also, a big fan of these two!!

1983 is one of my favorite years for baseball, especially since its the rookie year of my childhood idol, ryne sandberg. A few boxes from the exchange...

[image

I started to read more and more on these boards, and really starting to get a liking for wax trays. Here is the only one that I have....so far image

[image

There is so much to learn, and thankfully I gained interest in unopened before the prices absolutely skyrocketed, which, in turn, has limited my budget on purchases. I think of all the things that I have enjoyed the most is learning from others here. If you would have asked me four years ago what roller marks were, what corner folds were, who the baseball card exchange was, I would have had no clue. I still have SO MUCH to learn. I'm excited as my collection grows. My 56 set gives me a project to work on and I'm always interested in talking about and listening to others about the current state of affairs in the unopened market.

Oh, I have opened some packs. Usually, the single packs purchased from BBCE get ripped (sorry Mike), and this is my best pull.

Still, sometimes, its about being a kid. I remember when I got this starting lineup for christmas when I was about 12 years old. I was so excited, and still have it today.

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed posting it!

Jeremy

Comments

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    That is awesome stuff. I have always loved that 56 Mantle card since I was a kid. Triple crown MVP year and a beautiful card with the portrait in front of the action shot. Very nice unopened assortment too. Are you going to submit that Marino? At first glance it looks really nice.
    Steve
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Great boxes! Always loved me some Ryno too. But that PSA 7 set is going to be awesome!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME looking Mantle. Very clean!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice assortment of boxes~some sweet unopened product there!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! The Marino is going to go in on my next PSA submission. I'm excited to see what it grades. Realistically, a 9 would be nice on it.

Baz, here is a little more Ryno. It took me forever to find this team lineup in box, but I found it.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, that brings back some memories! Oh for the Cubs to be that competitive again. Great piece in an already great collection!
  • Options
    Great mantle
    Nice unopened too
    Congrats and enjoy
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Very nice,