Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My unopened collection

Certainly nowhere near the value of the other collections posted but the stuff that brings back memories for me is more in the junk wax era than anything else. These are the top shelfs of my walk-in closet and it's an easy way to quickly get transported back to a time when this stuff would have brought about a frenzied reaction from my 10-year old self. Apologies for the poor photo, I decided to take the lazy approach.

The left side is all Canadian with a few exceptions. A 1990 Fleer cello box (the bad kind, before I learned which ones had the Soaring Stars in them), a 1994 Pacific Prism football box, a 1992 UD French, a 1991 UD French, a stack of 1989 Donruss Canadian boxes, some loose rack packs (1982 E.T., was trying to find a rack with the Spielberg card on top) and some early-/mid-80s racks. The blue racks are ESB grocery wax pack racks, with 5 1990 Topps retail jumbos on top of those (all either showing Frank Thomas or showing a card in the Thomas sequence). Behind all of those are a bunch of O-Pee-Chee wax boxes -- 1981-1994 -- as well as a few 1987 Leaf boxes BBCE wrapped. A stack of 1988 Leaf boxes closes out the left side.

Left corner has a few more bad 1990 Fleer cellos boxes on top of a 1990 Fleer Canadian wax case and a 1990 Donruss Canadian wax case. Next to those, center left, if a stack of PSA graded OPC wax packs from the 1970s. Behind those are 2 1989 Topps Michigan boxes and 2 1991 Topps Michigan wax boxes. Behind the stacks of loose cards next to that are some 1998 and 1999 Skybox baseball boxes. Next to those on the right are four bait & tackle boxes housing a bunch of loose and raw wax packs from the 1970s and 1980s -- lots of nonsport in there like 1977 Star Wars, both Topps and O-Pee-Chee. To the right of those are a 1990 Bowman rack and 1990 Bowman cello box, with two 1990 Fleer cellos boxes (the good kind) and a 1987 Topps cello box.

Right corner are four sealed Topps 100-card jumbo cases, the ones with the Glossy Rookie inserts (1987, 1988, and 2 1989). To the right of those are two 1987 Topps rack cases, with a few random boxes on top -- 1990 Donruss cello, 1989 Donruss cello, 1982 Tops Superman II rack box, 1992 Fleer cello box. Next to those are 4 1986 Topps rack boxes with a 1977 Fleer Gong Show box and Pro Set Music Super Stars box on top. Then a 1991 Topps rack case with a 1987 Ting Uranus Strikes wax box on top.

Far right are my nonsport wax boxes. The left column are all O-Pee-Chee -- two 1978 Superman, 1979 Moonraker, two 1978 Jaws 2, 1983 Return of the Jedi, and two 1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark. I really love those OPC boxes. The next two columns are all Topps -- 1985 Rambo (BBCE sealed), 4 1978 Close Encounters of the Third Kind (all BBCE sealed), 1984 Temple of Doom, 1990 Robocop 2, and the white box on top is a 1987 Piedmont Candy Terrorist Attacks box. Far right column is 1982 E.T., 1983 Donruss Magnum P.I. (BBCE sealed), 1979 Topps Alien, two 1984 He-Man Masters of the Universe, 1978 Topps Jaws 2, and a 1984 Gremlins.

Not pictured is a case of 1990 Fleer (the good kind) and a bunch of more loose racks/cellos/wax packs/graded wax packs..

I sort of oscillate between OPC baseball, junk wax era, and nonsport from the 70s and 80s. Like I said, sorry about the poor photo but laziness trumps presentation.

If anyone has any stuff that fits these areas feel free to post some scans. I'd love to see more junk wax and nonsport unopened. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like that photo. Like a panoramic shot of your stash. Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't scanned a lot of my stuff but I just looked and I do have some of it scanned. Here's some better pics.

Old school BBCE wrapped

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Arthur, that is very impressive! As a fan of OPC & Leaf products, I love that you've got lots of Canadians mixed in there. Thank you for sharing!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice variety. I don't collect non-sports, but if I had more in the budget I think I would. Nice stash of unopened you have there.
    Steve
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't scanned a lot of my stuff but I just looked and I do have some of it scanned. Here's some better pics.

I didnt know Fleer (or anybody) made Ripleys believe it or not cards! I used to love that show!!! Havent seen it in years.
    I wonder if anybody is still airing it? Sweet collection for sureimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Very acceptable Arthur!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>image >>

Great stuff, Arthur. I've always admired some of the non-sports stuff from a distance to date.

What's the story with the Greek Olympiada pack?

Snorto~
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the OPC run of packs too. Any reason why OPC and not Topps? I have started picking up some OPC packs. My motivation is because it looks much the same and is about half the price image.
    Steve
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Love the whole collection Aurthur. Excellent work sneaking in some non-sport on the front page too. A closer pic of a non-sport rack or two might be fun. If you have that kind of thing of course.

How did you come to love the Canadian stuff so much? I pick something up every now and then, but you're all in.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nice collection. I particularly like the OPC and the 6 Million Dollar Man pack. Very Cool!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying the non-sport items.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.

ElSnorto, I don't know much more about the Olympiada pack than you probably already do. Like you said, it's a set from Greece released in 1980 and depicts Empire Strikes Back scenes and characters. I know there are variations, although it's been a while since I read up on it so can't name them now off the top of my head. Star Wars was such a big part of my youth that I've tried to collect a lot of the different packs that were issued over the years. I once found a 1977 Topps Mexican Star Wars pack but the USPS lost it on me and it's stuck in my craw ever since. Never thought I'd find one of those. Of course, that's one of the things that the USPS loses on me, not the 1995 Topps Embossed Mike Greenwell raw card. image

I decided to go with OPC for baseball (and for nonsport I guess, as well) because they're much tougher to find. I grew up with Donruss, Fleer, Sportflics, UD, Score, Bowman, etc so I don't have the brand loyalty to Topps that many others have. Depending on the year, OPC has a 3-5% production run compared to Topps so when I started I figured doing those would be the best way to add a bit of challenge to the unopened project. The 1988-1990 OPC packs/boxes are some of the toughest unopened products to find from that era. The fact that OPC usually sells for half of Topps just sealed the deal for me. The UD French boxes aren't difficult to find at all and there's no premium for those. The Donruss Canadian are extremely difficult. I've seen them come up for sale a few times and it was only myself and another person going after them so we both ended up with a good amount. There's no difference on the Donruss cards so they're really only a niche product for unopened collectors that like variations.

The Fleer Canadian set is one that's always interested me. Those cards actually are different and have PRNTD. IN CANADA on the back instead of the U.S. version. I was able to find a case from a Canadian seller. I track the prices of the boxes when they come up. Since May of 2012, twelve boxes have come up for sale with the average price being $93.73.