Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Son graduating from USAFA:)) Card shops

My son graduates from USAFA on wednesday and i will be in Colorado Springs for the week. Can anyone recommend any good vintage carrying card shops there or nearby?

Comments

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Congrats as that is quite an honor! I hope to get back to Colorado Springs at some point in my next few assignments. A great place. You have to visit Dalez Kardz.

www.dalezkardz.com

What's his specialty code going to be?
  • Options
    Can't help with the card shops, but congratulations!!!
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

<< <i>Congrats as that is quite an honor! I hope to get back to Colorado Springs at some point in my next few assignments. A great place. You have to visit Dalez Kardz.

www.dalezkardz.com

What's his specialty code going to be? >>

He is a top 10% of class with 3.8 Gpa in biology. He was selected by them as a decathalete. His assignment will be at FT. Peterson,CO as Requisition Manager.
  • Options
    Thanks for the congrats. I'm proud he has chosen to serve our country. I did 7 years myself for the Army. Our youngest son of 4 age 20 now wants to follow his brotherimage)
  • Options
    Very cool. Similar lines of work as me if he lands in Space Command.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

He is a top 10% of class with 3.8 Gpa in biology. He was selected by them as a decathalete. His assignment will be at FT. Peterson,CO as Requisition Manager. >>

Awesome! I can almost see you smiling as you typed that image
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to your son.

In Denver off I-25 and broadway is Bills Sports Collectibles. You won't be disappointed. About an hour drive from AFA

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats to your son.

In Denver off I-25 and broadway is Bills Sports Collectibles. You won't be disappointed. About an hour drive from AFA

John >>

Definitely
    This is the place to go if you're anywhere near Denver
    Been there many times, going back to early 90s
    I always find something I like
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>My son graduates from USAFA on wednesday and i will be in Colorado Springs for the week. Can anyone recommend any good vintage carrying card shops there or nearby? >>

I can't help with the card shop ... but CONGRATS to your son, you and your entire family. Top 10% from any of the military academies is AMAZING! Wishing him the best that life has to offer. May he serve his country well.

................ENJOY THE DAY DAD!!!!............
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to your son on graduating from the Air Force Academyimage

I was stationed at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs from 1995 to 1998, and can definitely vouch for both Dalez Cards and Bill's Sports Collectibles. Both are among the absolute best card shops I've ever been to. In fact, Bill's is the best shop I've ever seen.

Bill's is at 2335 South Broadway (west/south of I-25) in Denver, and Dalez is a block or two north of the intersection at Academy and Austin Bluffs in Colorado Springs.

Steve
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't help with the card shops, but congratulations!!! >>

+1
    Steve
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Congratulation on your son's great effort . I'm hoping and I'm sure you must be VERY proud of him . Our oldest son graduated 37th the year he left West Point . I know how hard he worked and as you , was very proud .

Best wishes and highest hopes for his future .------ Sonny

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

Yeah... come wednesday...you won't be able to wipe the smile off my face!! My wife and youngest son soon to be USAF..will be pinning the bars on his UNI at graduation.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations. I know you are proud. My oldest son is currently in Afghanistan. FaceTime and text help a lot!!!!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

Our nephew just came back from there (Afghanistan) and has been transferred from FT.Stewart,GA to FT. Carson,CO....so it's a win-win this week.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Our nephew just came back from there (Afghanistan) and has been transferred from FT.Stewart,GA to FT. Carson,CO....so it's a win-win this week. >>

That is great! My son will return to Ft. Carson when he returns. Small world.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>My son graduates from USAFA on wednesday and i will be in Colorado Springs for the week. >>

Congrats to your son on his graduation, as well as my gratitude for his service to our great nation. You've got every reason to be a proud father.

I get to Denver at least once a quarter... it sounds like I need to check out Bills one of these times.

Snorto~
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on your son. When I am going to a new place I always use google i.e: baseball card shops Colorado springs
  • Options

Amazing time this week with 2 of my 4 sons. My wife and youngest son got to pin him with his 2nd LT Bars on tuesday and then wednesday was grad day. i will try and post a few photos.

I also had to buy an extra suitcase due to my excessive purchases of cards from both card shopsimage
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!
  • Options
    here ya go

image[/URL]
    image[/URL]

BTW..it was a brisk 86 degrees at 7000 ft.. in the stands for 4 hrs!!!
  • Options
    Congrats! Such an honor. What did you think of the shops?
  • Options

read my comment on the bottom of page 1image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats once again. Great pic! Are we getting THAT old, or does your son look way too young to be a college graduate! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Tell me about it!! He's 22 and Nate next him 20. We have 23 and 26 year old son's as well. I'm 53 and they keep me young!!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great picture, and congratulations to you, your son and the rest of your family!!!

Your son looks like another baby-faced lieutenant. When I was on active duty, we'd always joke about going up to one of them and asking them "excuse me, but does your daddy know your playing dressup with his uniform? image

Of course, I never did, since I was enlisted, but it still makes me laugh today to see a lieutenant who looks like he's not yet ready to shave (or even drive a car) (or maybe it just makes me feel too darned old!imageimageimage And I'm only 51 image

Steve
  • Options
    Just spent a few days at the Academy and CSprings for my friend's retirement. Stopped by Dalez cards and was fun to browse their wares. Ended up with some 1970s Japanese Gundam Mini Cards. Was tempted to buy some of their older stock for ripping, but nothing jumped out at me. Might swing by again before I leave.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Visiting my Mom in Colorado Springs, had to come back and look up this thread. I will have to make a couple of stops while I'm in town. image
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the congrats. I'm proud he has chosen to serve our country. I did 7 years myself for the Army. Our youngest son of 4 age 20 now wants to follow his brotherimage) >>

From my family to yours, thanks for your commitment to service.

As for your son....the sky is the limit (literally).

Travel safely and good luck finding a good LCS.

<edit - having read the entire thread after posting above, I realize my timing may be off, but my sentiment rings true 24/7/365 = THANK YOU!>
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i>Visiting my Mom in Colorado Springs, had to come back and look up this thread. I will have to make a couple of stops while I'm in town. image >>

Sweet! Let us know if you come with anything.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I just read this thread for the first time. Congratulations Carew. Best wishes to you and your family.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Here are some photos of Dale'z Kardz in Colorado Springs. The store was very well organized. They had plenty of raw, unopened and supplies. The shop owner knew exactly where everything was and was very knowledgeable. Initially he said he didn't think he could help with anything in my focus but as I looked around he found a 1987 Topps American UK wax box (empty) that was in nice shape. I took that for a few dollars and then just for fun a box of 1990 Topps Heads Up unopened (not empty, lol). He also had a good amount of non-sport and magic cards. Enjoy!

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow great store! It looks so organized. Thanks for posting the pics.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow great store! It looks so organized. Thanks for posting the pics. >>

+1
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for sharing Marc - and congratulations.

I have zero pics when I graduated from OCS - very sad.
    Mike
  • Options
    I think Dalez stays in business because they have a diverse inventory. When I was in there browsing the other day, they had people buying boxes of baseball, Star Wars figures for a game. A group was playing magic in the back room and I was searching for random stuff.
  • Options
    My son called me up last night and explains to me how he kept two satellites from crashing into each other in outer space. 1) didn't realize this was a problem...lol. 2) Atta Boy!!!