Home Sports Talk
Options

Could the Red Sox possibly make it interesting this year playing with the kids.

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
We need a new thread to celebrate Workman's return even though it will only be for one day.

Then it's off to Atlanta to continue their winning streak.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like your idea worked! image
  • Options
    3 in a row over a very good national league team is a big plus. Bogaerds and Bradley seem to be doing much better.
  • Options
    Four in a row from the Braves.
    Nice!
    DeLarosa is coming up to pitch Saturday.
    Could this be the end of Buchholz?
  • Options
    What a game! I have never seen 3 Red Sox managers thrown out of a game before. Three boston players hit by pitches and they come through in the bottom of the tenth for the win which makes 5 in a row and they picked up a game on everyone else besides. Bogaert's is on fire. Depending on how bad Pedroia is hurt we may see Mookie Betts tomorrow or in my case not see him as they will put the Dodgers game on here. That $uck$ big time!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not tracking it, but yes, Bogaerts is en fuego! Seems he has two hits every day for the past week. LOVE it when a farm-system prospect pans out.
  • Options
    Bogearts is just the 1st of a lot of changes the Red Sox will be making this year.

Bradley is a great fielder and hopefully will improve as a hitter.

The kids will not allow them to "keep them down on the farm" much longer as they are rapidly getting to the point that they have to come up to the bigs.

Renauldo, Webster, DeLarosa and Betts are just a few of them that will be up this year.

Lester had better work out a contract soon as his playing days with the Sox could be in jeopardy.

It's time for the old guard to be moved on to teams that need help this year and I think you will see that happen as we get closer to the trade deadline and not for more has-beens either.

We are in a great position to pick up some young talent which is a few years away from development in exchange for these guys.

Just my 2 cents worth.
  • Options
    Buchholz, Doubront?

Are they in Japan yet?

Did you see De La Rosa tonight?

• Options
    Now they are bringing up Cecchini to play 3rd base. I guess I am missing something here.

Are they trying to showcase some young players for a possible trade or what?

There are just too many good young players and too few places for them to play in my opinion.

Is it time to move some of the old guard?

I say yes!
  • Options
    Continue moving the old guard . It is time!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did all you "rah, rah" guys go?

The thread was rapidly heading off page two...no comments on what they need to do, or how the team is doing in general?

• Options
    Only page 2, it should be on page 22.

It sure does not look like a good year other than bringing up all the kids to see what they can do.
  • Options

<< <i>Where did all you "rah, rah" guys go?

The thread was rapidly heading off page two...no comments on what they need to do, or how the team is doing in general? >>

Mediocre so far. Not looking for much as hitters are having sub par year, barring Holt; pitchers are limited to Lester and Lackey; and the spirit seems absent
  • Options

<< <i>Where did all you "rah, rah" guys go?

The thread was rapidly heading off page two...no comments on what they need to do, or how the team is doing in general? >>

I'm still here though and watching every game, hoping for the best.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red Sox should stay the course, mixing in the kids and when the time is right, grab Stanton for a run again next season. I sure hope they re-sign Lester, I would hate to see him following Tanaka next year.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Red Sox should stay the course, mixing in the kids and when the time is right, grab Stanton for a run again next season. I sure hope they re-sign Lester, I would hate to see him following Tanaka next year. >>

That would sure be a disaster!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one-run loss,...gotta be close to a record. Twelve maybe?

I have no clue what's wrong with this team other than the obvious. They ain't winning games and are steadily sinking. Sad to say, I've just totally lost interest. Grossly overpaid and grossly under performing bunch of dysfunctional players...brief positive performances overshadowed by inexplicable streaks one would expect by a single A team.

So guys, I have nothing good to say about the team and this will be my last post about them.

Happy Father's Day to all, have a great Summer.

Al
  • Options
    Hi Al,
    Hopefully you will be posting again this year if they can ever get themselves straighted out. I know how hard it is to watch them at times but I am a true follower and will not give up watching them.

It will be interesting this week to see who gets bumped with Victorino and Buchholz coming back to the team.

I am very interested in seeing the young guns all lining up to come into the majors and want to see where all the veterans end up.

Hopefully not with the dreaded Yankees.

Stay with us guy through thick and thin!

I will always be there God willing.

Did any of you guys get some of the hall of fame coins?

They are a real neat coin.

• Options
    There is still some fire left as NAPOLIi STEALS HOME in tonights win.

How improbable is that.

He also hit a home run.

They are only 6 1/2 games out and are not to the half way point yet so if they can get it together they COULD make a run for it yet.
  • Options

<< <i>There is still some fire left as NAPOLIi STEALS HOME in tonights win.

How improbable is that.

He also hit a home run.

They are only 6 1/2 games out and are not to the half way point yet so if they can get it together they COULD make a run for it yet. >>

They need a bat, a "big" bat.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    That is so true but one bat is not going to change what I see going on. They are losing in too many different ways and need a housecleaning. Go with the kids, as I have been saying all year, and live with their mistakes for the rest of the season. They just might be surprised at the results.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    I went to the opener in Safeco last night and noticed a few things. Holt is not a RF. He looked horrible more than once - misplayed a couple balls. It didn't impact the game because Lackey lost all focus in the 4th inning. After a 13 pitch battle with the .220 hitting Ackley - he failed to cover 1st on what would have been an inning ending DP - then after tossing a wild pitch - he barely left the mound to cover home as another run came in. After almost getting swept in OAK for that 4 gm series, they looked flat and unenthused - less Pedroia who hustled and showed the only life for the team in the game.
  • Options

<< <i>I went to the opener in Safeco last night and noticed a few things. Holt is not a RF. He looked horrible more than once - misplayed a couple balls. It didn't impact the game because Lackey lost all focus in the 4th inning. After a 13 pitch battle with the .220 hitting Ackley - he failed to cover 1st on what would have been an inning ending DP - then after tossing a wild pitch - he barely left the mound to cover home as another run came in. After almost getting swept in OAK for that 4 gm series, they looked flat and unenthused - less Pedroia who hustled and showed the only life for the team in the game. >>

sounds just like a description that could have been written of the 2012 team. Pedroia was the only one hustling all the time and Lackey was too concerned with chicken and beer.
  • Options
    The time is here to dump both Lackey and Peavy!

Maybe they can find somebody who would pay some of this years salary for them even if they get nothing else.

Neither one is worth keeping at this point even if they have to eat salary.

Workman and De La Rosa have shown they are ready to contribute at this point.

Lets get going and prepare for next year and who knows maybe something good could still happen this year if they act now.
  • Options

<< <i>The time is here to dump both Lackey and Peavy!

Maybe they can find somebody who would pay some of this years salary for them even if they get nothing else.

Neither one is worth keeping at this point even if they have to eat salary.

Workman and De La Rosa have shown they are ready to contribute at this point.

Lets get going and prepare for next year and who knows maybe something good could still happen this year if they act now. >>

Lackey had a bad game, but he is a valuable commodity now because the Sox owe him just the major league minimum salary for all of the 2015 season.
  • Options
    That is why now is a good time to get rid of him while they can get something for him.

Give the kids a shot at it, they deserve it, and they will not cost much.

Find out now what they can do while there is no pressure on them.
  • Options
    Lackey had a bad game, but he is a valuable commodity now because the Sox owe him just the major league minimum salary for all of the 2015 season. >>

I totally agree, Lackey with a 2015 minimum salary, is a very attractive center piece possibly to a small market club that is looking for a 1-2 starter for next year that has a player on their club that is approaching FA in a year knowing they can't sign that player. Teams like Tampa Bay with David Price or the Marlins with Giancarlo Stanton come to mind. Of course Lackey would have to accompany a top prospect and a ML position player to most likely get a trade done.
  • Options
    Sounds like panic time for the Red
    Sox has finally set in with the call up today of Mookie Betts. Who are they releasing today?
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like panic time for the Red
    Sox has finally set in with the call up today of Mookie Betts. Who are they releasing today? >>

They're pretty awful, amazing worst to first to maybe worst again turn of events, so it will be nice to see how Betts does.
  • Options
    It has to be Workman going down right now as they have an extra pitcher and he pitched yesterday but they will have to make a trade or release somebody soon as this up and down thing is not good for the kids.
  • Options

<< <i>It has to be Workman going down right now as they have an extra pitcher and he pitched yesterday but they will have to make a trade or release somebody soon as this up and down thing is not good for the kids. >>

Peavy!
  • Options
    That would be the smart thing to do, he just does not have it anymore.
  • Options
    Rubby Carlos De La Rosa back to Triple A
  • Options
    Thinking with their pocketbook again.

I am sure they are going to make some moves in the next month and do not want to give anybody away at this time.
  • Options
    Still say they have to eat some contracts before the trade deadline.

Peavy has to go.

Mijares (however its spelled) has to go.

Lackey needs to go. ( not has to go)

Perezinski needs to go.

Lester needs to either sign a contract or get traded now while he is worth something.

If Lester signs a contract then Doubront can be traded.

This will make room for the kids that need to be brought up for seasoning THIS YEAR.

My 2 1/2 cents worth.
  • Options
    Wow, how far the mighty have fallen. Swept by the lowly Cubs.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow, how far the mighty have fallen. Swept by the lowly Cubs. >>

Look at the good side. They are still the 30th best team in the world.
    Capecards
  • Options
    Is there really that good a draft this next time around to be going for the top draft pic?

When they are pitching they are not hitting and when hitting they are not pitching.

Wow!

Time to blow them up.

I stopped watching last night and played POGO.
  • Options
    the media has decided that when they are mediocre, they are performing well.

The headline said this (emphasis added by me): The Sox were denied a twin-bill sweep as Burke Badenhop allowed two inherited runners to score, spoiling an effective start by John Lackey.

But the box score said this:

Boston IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Lackey 5.1 10 5 5 1 11 2 3.84
  • Options
    I would really like the sox to sign John Lester, we then can make the move of packaging John Lackey, a current major league roster position player (Middlebrooks) and a top prospect (One of the AAA pitchers) to Florida for Stanton. Florida will not part with Stanton unless the pieces they receive are low cost with team control years of service. We can't score runs, we have to acquire a bat. Stanton batting in front of Ortiz would change our lineup for the better. We also would add a true outfielder to our defense that currently is lacking forced to play two infielders (Betts and Holt). Holt needs to find a position, his bat is too good. Bring up Ruby to take the place of Lackey in the rotation. Our lineup both offensively and defensively immediately improves.
  • Options
    That game tonight is exactly what I have been talking about for a couple of months. Bring the kids up and give them a shot. Betts speed is a sight to see running the bases and Bradley in center is going to be a great one. Finally get rid of the cancer behind the plate and that is good. Five rookies starting tonight provided the needed spark. May or may not be too late for this season but at least we are seeing some good baseball played.
  • Options
    The kids are at least making these game a little more fun to watch. Holt with 5 hits today including a home run.
  • Options
    remember how Bogaerts was red hot earlier this year and JBJ was hovering at the Mendoza line? Looks like JBJ has a chance to finish the year with a higher BA than Bogaerts these days!
  • Options
    Ya he found out what he was doing wrong, Bogaerts is going through the same thing now.

How about what the other kids are doing Holt, Betts, De La Rosa,the new catcher.

They still need to figure out who they want to keep for next year and clean out the rest of the deadwood ( Lackey, Peavy, Doubront, Mejita,Drew) for five and maybe a few more).
  • Options

<< <i>Ya he found out what he was doing wrong, Bogaerts is going through the same thing now.

How about what the other kids are doing Holt, Betts, De La Rosa,the new catcher.

They still need to figure out who they want to keep for next year and clean out the rest of the deadwood ( Lackey, Peavy, Doubront, Mejita,Drew) for five and maybe a few more). >>

I would be quite surprised if Peavy and Doubront were around in August. The bullpen has some safe bets like Uehara, Tazawa, Miller, etc, but yeah, using a chip like Mujica or even Badenhop could get them some decent returns. Would not mind a bit seeing Drew go somewhere else and if the Sox could get great return for Lackey due to his ultra low salary next year, I'm up for it. Would not mind seeing Lackey around next year though. I expect he will perform very well in his contract year!
  • Options
    Lackey is not a real problem.

They could even trade Napoli if they could get something good for him.

Anybody can play 1st base for now and he is really not doing that great .

They have Carp right now and time to teach someone in the minors 1st base this year.

How about that young catcher Swihart in Portland that can hit a ton?

They have a good looking catcher now in Vazquez and need to give him a good shot .
  • Options
    hadn't thought of Napoli, but agree! If you can get a good return, get it!
  • Options
    So we have a list of to go's as:
    Drew

Mijica
    Peavy
    2 or 3 other relievers

Possible trades:

Doubront
    Napoli
    Lester
    Carp
    Lackey
    Gomes

We shall see what happens over the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    The Sox would trade Lester? What kind of return would they want for him? I thought he was a #2 starter?
  • Options
    He is their number 1 starter but if he won.t sign then they have to do what they have to do. i think he will sign but what do I know.
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    They seem to be in the thick of it