Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

From Mulan's Purse

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mulan, best known these days for the Disneyfiled version, may have sprung from the folklore of the Northern Wei dynasty period, late 4th to early 6th centuries in northern China.
This one is quite corroded. CNG had a beautiful one up for auction a few days ago, but I was outbid by someone who seemed to be snapping up the fine examples of Chinese cast coinage.

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know so little about Chinese cash, despite having once purchased a big bulk lot which stretched back to the Han dynasty.

I like the patinas one sees on them.

I am ashamed to admit I knew nothing of Mulan before Disney, and not even then, as I never saw the movie, despite having a young daughter of the Disney target age.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disney is educational.

I never heard of Mary Poppins until Walt Disney introduced us.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nice thing about ancient Chinese coins they are so flipping common that you can collect 2000 year old coins for pennies.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>Disney is educational.

image >>

Oh, crap. You mean to tell me there was a pre-Disney incarnation of Mary Poppins, too?

Again, I had no idea.

At least I read the original Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows books.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Disney is educational.

image >>

Oh, crap. You mean to tell me there was a pre-Disney incarnation of Mary Poppins, too?

Again, I had no idea.

At least I read the original Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows books. >>

I suggest watching the movie "Saving Mr. Banks" - I just watched it a few days ago and loved it.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What SmEagle1795 said. image
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a kid in California when I saw the Disney "Mary Poppins" film.
    I had never heard of the character or the British author P.L. Travers before.

I have since read a couple of her books and a biography, I also saw the "Saving Mr. Banks" film.
    P.L. Travers was quite a character, much more than was portrayed in the "Mr. Banks" film.

In 1981, almost 50 years after she wrote the first book, Mrs. Travers was ordered by the publisher
    to revise one of the chapters for political correctness reasons.

The Disney film has a nice numismatic reference, "Tuppence a bag".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>The nice thing about ancient Chinese coins they are so flipping common that you can collect 2000 year old coins for pennies. >>

I have liked that about them, too. The big lot/old collection of them I bought for about 25c a pop contained quite a few different reigns and many early Han Dynasty and Wang Mang pieces, which were interesting. I thought I might try to find other reigns and types and fill in the gaps in both the collection and my knowledge, but I never did.