Home Sports Talk
Options

Rate the sport talk radio shows.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Favorites on down.

Freddie Coleman.......Good clean voice and zero hype.

Dibble & VanDyken. Looks like they got bounced. Always enjoy persepective of those that played the game.

JT the Brick.......though his sidekick Looney is an idiot.

Mike and Mike........Not great but tolerable in the AM

Jim Rome.........great interviewer but schtick is getting real old.

Dan Patrick..........Smooth....maybe a bit too smooth.

Colin Cowherd............would rather listen to Muzak.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Jim Rome.........great interviewer but schtick is getting real old >>

Its been old and moldy for years. The guy annoys me to death.

Where's Jim Everett when you need him?

Colin Cowherd............would rather listen to Muzak. >>

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure on the whole list, but Jim Rome's interviews are near or at the top. Then his sports takes are on the middle. Then his callers are on Page 116 of this thread if it gets that long. Then the smack off belongs right behind the last number in Pi.

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure on the whole list, but Jim Rome's interviews are near or at the top. Then his sports takes are on the middle. Then his callers are on Page 116 of this thread if it gets that long. Then the smack off belongs right behind the last number in Pi. >>

He and Cowherd are non listenable. Too bad as they come on at the same time.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    At least you get a choice. We have the David Glenn show, which is all about ACC sports. Now, David is a great host and has a wonderful show, but since I didn't grow up in ACC territory, my interest in the topic is very small. And this is 3 hours a day, throughout North Carolina.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I have been listening to Rome on and off since 1996. I still enjoy him. Schtick is very old but still funny to me. However, I don't listen often. Probably once a week for 15-20 minutes.

I really like Colin Cowherd. I think he has fresh takes. He has contrarian takes which I like.

I am especially happy with Xm86 Mad Dog Sports. I think they have some of the most sports knowledgeable hosts I can remember hearing. Adam Shine, Chris Russo, and one other guy (can't remember his name). I really like them. Good callers too.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    In the south, Paul Finebaum rules. I do not listen to any sports talk shows; I find them to be a waste of time.
  • Options

<< <i>In the south, Paul Finebaum rules. I do not listen to any sports talk shows; I find them to be a waste of time. >>

I am down to maybe 20 minutes a day. Too bad, I used to like the Papa Joe, Arnie Spanier etc lineup of a decade ago,
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the south, Paul Finebaum rules. I do not listen to any sports talk shows; I find them to be a waste of time. >>

+1

On the rare occasion I listen to them, it's for entertainment purposes only~sort of like watching Jerry Springer, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Mike and Mike. I think Greenie has a great talent for framing a discussion, plus the show is funny and not saddled with annoying callers.

On a national level, I dislike everyone else.

In NY, I like Steve Somers.

• Options

<< <i>

I am down to maybe 20 minutes a day. Too bad, I used to like the Papa Joe, Arnie Spanier etc lineup of a decade ago, >>

I lived in Phoenix in 1992 and Arnie Spanier was on locally I think. I thought he was excellent. Good voice, strong opinion, etc.... I wonder if he is still on the air!?

Never heard of Paul Finebaum.
  • Options
    Oh ya, and I really dislike Lebotard on ESPN. Driving home from lunch today reminded me.
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    Jim Rome is terrible.

I like Conlin espn I relate to his flow of a topic.

Dan Patrick is fun most days and I think gets info in a fun way

Mike and mike is good most of the time.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going off the grid. Mike Valente and Terry Foster in Detroit

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I tend to stick with local shows, usually just during drive time. Usually Baltimore-based sports talk station in the morning and DC-based in the evening. That is mainly due to the talent on the air and/or availability. Baltimore's afternoon pair is not nearly as good as the morning pair, and the DC sports station I listen to simulcasts Mike & Mike in the morning, so I tend to stick with that station just in the afternoons. The DC station's afternoon team is good. They added former Redskin Chris Cooley a while back, and he apparently loves to break down film and report his findings. It would not surprise me to see him become a scout or personnel manager someday.

Nationally, Mike & Mike is pretty good. Greene can get kind of annoying at times; he can be a bit whiny and tends to throw around too many superlatives (that was the BEST play I've ever seen, he's the BEST player ever at doing so-and-so, etc). Golic is really good, tends to lend an interesting perspective, especially that of a former player.
  • Options

<< <i>I tend to stick with local shows, usually just during drive time. Usually Baltimore-based sports talk station in the morning and DC-based in the evening. That is mainly due to the talent on the air and/or availability. Baltimore's afternoon pair is not nearly as good as the morning pair, and the DC sports station I listen to simulcasts Mike & Mike in the morning, so I tend to stick with that station just in the afternoons. The DC station's afternoon team is good. They added former Redskin Chris Cooley a while back, and he apparently loves to break down film and report his findings. It would not surprise me to see him become a scout or personnel manager someday.

Nationally, Mike & Mike is pretty good. Greene can get kind of annoying at times; he can be a bit whiny and tends to throw around too many superlatives (that was the BEST play I've ever seen, he's the BEST player ever at doing so-and-so, etc). Golic is really good, tends to lend an interesting perspective, especially that of a former player. >>

You summed up Mike and Mike perfectly.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Don't know how many of you heard him years ago but I believe Pete Franklin was one of the best at his trade, and who can forgot all of the feuds with Mr. Know-it-all.....

al.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The DC station's afternoon team is good. They added former Redskin Chris Cooley a while back, and he apparently loves to break down film and report his findings. It would not surprise me to see him become a scout or personnel manager someday. >>

I've become a huge Cooley fan since he started broadcasting. He always breaks things down and tells it straight. He's interesting, funny, and seems to enjoy talking and explaining the little nuances of sports.

I was hoping Cooley would join Larry Michael on the Redskins nation daily TV show. Larry Michael needs someone (who is not a complete "company man") to help make that show watchable.
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    The Fabulous Sports Babe
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Mike Greenberg is so soft. He talks about "getting permision" from his wife to watch a game. Gimmie a break!
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike Greenberg is so soft. He talks about "getting permision" from his wife to watch a game. Gimmie a break! >>

Right there with you. What exactly are his credentials anyway? Just a sports radio guy? He's annoying, acts like it's his show and has a type of subtle condescension that's really off-putting.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike Greenberg is so soft. He talks about "getting permision" from his wife to watch a game. Gimmie a break! >>

Right there with you. What exactly are his credentials anyway? Just a sports radio guy? He's annoying, acts like it's his show and has a type of subtle condescension that's really off-putting. >>

True, but he is a decent foil to the much better Golic.
  • Options
    Is there a worse "sports" radio show than Morning Men? I was reminded this morning driving to work. There were commercials on ESPN so I switched to Morning Men on MadDog 82. I think I would rather listen to commercials on ESPN Radio then listen to Morning Men. Horrible! They have been on for a while now and I can't believe the network doesn't find someone better. Mike and Mike are 1,000 times more enjoyable to listen to. Obviously these clowns have fans as they still have jobs. What am I missing!?
  • Options
    Of mike and mike, I hate the pre-commercial tease. Its old and a little bit insulting." Do you know which NfL QB is sleeping with the owners wife? Tell you after the break. And then, none. ha. If you guys know, phone in. h. Boy, thats a job id like to have. ha" I can hear it now in mikes voice.
  • Options
    Otherwise Dan Patrick. I keep trying to like cowherd. I want to like Cowherd. But i think he's just getting old and bitter which covers his talent.

And rich esien is arrogant for no reason. He seriously wouldn't even tell people what country or state he vacations in. Like anyone really cares or planning to do something. Spouts info with such confidence and turns out to be so wrong so many times.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    National radio for me: Mike & Mike and Cowherd.

McGinnis on Tap on PGA Tour Radio and Brian Katrick on PGA Tour radio is good.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik