Home Sports Talk

50 US Senators want to dump the Washington Redskins name.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
I guess it is safe to assume that they never took free tickets and attended the games played by this reprehensible franchise!

Text

"""Fifty senators, all Democrats, have signed a letter released on Thursday by Majority Leader Harry Reid that urges pro football’s commissioner, Roger Goodell, to take action over concerns that continued use of the Redskins brand is offensive to Native Americans."""

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    All this fuss isn't worth it. Just change the fracking name.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would like to think that senators have better, more important things to worry about. Theres a lot more worse things in this world than a football team changing its name. People need to get over it. If you dont like the name, dont watch or support the team. Its that simple. Its just a word. People get too offended by simple words.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All this fuss isn't worth it. Just change the fracking name. >>

Or as a very wise poster recently suggested, keep the name and change the logo to a potato.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They should have taken the time to pass the VA reform law today instead of asking for an NFL name change.

Get their priorities straight for a change.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the owner sticks to his guns!!!!

STUPID...STUPID...STUPID!!!!!!!!!
    I have despised the Redskins since Dan Snyder bought the team. I am now hoping for a Super Bowl ring for this guy that has the guts to stand up to the PC police.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    The time is coming ..............
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Good time to remember a fallen hero. Pat Tillman.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Good time to remember a fallen hero. Pat Tillman. >>

Agreed. And the worst part is the coverup that followed his unfortunate demise.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Good time to remember a fallen hero. Pat Tillman. >>

While I know Memorial Day is on Monday, what does Pat Tillman have to do with the original topic?

<< <i>

<< <i>Good time to remember a fallen hero. Pat Tillman. >>

While I know Memorial Day is on Monday, what does Pat Tillman have to do with the original topic? >>

Had to think about it for a bit. Nexus would be that our proud soldiers have fought valiantly and too often sacrificed their lives for the freedoms afforded by our Constitution.
    >>>While I know Memorial Day is on Monday, what does Pat Tillman have to do with the original topic? <<<

Which is more important.....Remembering soldiers who have given their lives for us....OR.....THIS STUPID BLEEDING HEART RANT ABOUT TEAM NAMES!!!???

Frankly I wish all the teams that BUCKLED and gave in to such STUPID following......would change them back!!!!!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting beyond stupid these moronic senators should be concerned with real issues not this stupid current PC crap
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the process of reading an interesting book right now called "a fate worse than death Indian captivity" Pretty graphic novel on how brutal it was in the Wild West back in the mid 1800's

<< <i>This is getting beyond stupid these moronic senators should be concerned with real issues not this stupid current PC crap >>

Like health care reform?? Face it, we are better off when they are occupied by the mundane.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    It'll be a sad day when the federal government can dictate what the name of a private business can and cannot be. It's unfortunate that the freedoms Pat Tillman died defending are being trampled on by the ignorant.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
    >>>It'll be a sad day when the federal government can dictate what the name of a private business can and cannot be. It's unfortunate that the freedoms Pat Tillman died defending are being trampled on by the ignorant. <<<

AMEN!!!!!image

<< <i>>>>It'll be a sad day when the federal government can dictate what the name of a private business can and cannot be. It's unfortunate that the freedoms Pat Tillman died defending are being trampled on by the ignorant. <<<

AMEN!!!!!image >>

Amen!

<< <i>>>>While I know Memorial Day is on Monday, what does Pat Tillman have to do with the original topic? <<<

Which is more important.....Remembering soldiers who have given their lives for us....OR.....THIS STUPID BLEEDING HEART RANT ABOUT TEAM NAMES!!!??? >>

So, should someone go over to the other Sports Talk threads and interrupt the current discussions with reminders that every topic is crap and everyone needs to start talking about who to honor on Memorial Day?

<< <i>It's unfortunate that the freedoms Pat Tillman died defending are being trampled on by the ignorant. >>

War heroes also died to protect the rights of people you call ignorant to have different opinions than you.

Look at it this way: we have it so good here in the US that people can get all bent out of shape about a professional sports team name. It's energy that folks in less fortunate countries are forced to spend on basic survival.

<< <i>So, should someone go over to the other Sports Talk threads and interrupt the current discussions with reminders that every topic is crap and everyone needs to start talking about who to honor on Memorial Day? >>

Do you know anything about Pat Tillman? He had an NFL contract worth over $1,000,000 a year. After 9-11 he was devastated by the attack and did what real men do. He chucked the football contract and joined the Army. His brother Kevin who had signed with the Cleveland Indians also manned up and joined on the same day as Pat.

Tillman was killed in Afghanistan by "friendly" fire after several tours of combat.

These men are heroes. True American heroes that should be honored everyday, and especially in the case of Pat Tillman, on Memorial Day.

• JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>War heroes also died to protect the rights of people you call ignorant to have different opinions than you.

Look at it this way: we have it so good here in the US that people can get all bent out of shape about a professional sports team name. It's energy that folks in less fortunate countries are forced to spend on basic survival. >>

I agree wholeheartedly. The ignorant have always been entitled to their opinions and I will never try to deny them of that right.

I start to have a problem when the ignorant attempt to gain control of the fundamental identity of a private business.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

<< <i>

<< <i>So, should someone go over to the other Sports Talk threads and interrupt the current discussions with reminders that every topic is crap and everyone needs to start talking about who to honor on Memorial Day? >>

Do you know anything about Pat Tillman? He had an NFL contract worth over $1,000,000 a year. After 9-11 he was devastated by the attack and did what real men do. He chucked the football contract and joined the Army. His brother Kevin who had signed with the Cleveland Indians also manned up and joined on the same day as Pat.

Tillman was killed in Afghanistan by "friendly" fire after several tours of combat.

These men are heroes. True American heroes that should be honored everyday, and especially in the case of Pat Tillman, on Memorial Day. >>

I know who Pat Tillman is. However, Pat Tillman isn't the guy I think about when the subject of a thread says "50 US Senators want to dump the Washington Redskins name."

Pat Tillman would be the guy I'd think about if I saw a thread subject of "Pro Sports Heroes to Remember on Memorial Day."

• bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Pat Tillman was as good as it gets and his story has no place in a cry baby thread supporting a racist sports team name. Pathetic.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
    Another NFL'er who gave his life for his nation.

Bob Kalsu

The offensive guard started his NFL career in 1968 with the Buffalo Bills, where was named “rookie of the year.” Because of his ROTC obligations, Kalsu joined the army after the season, becoming a 2nd Lieutenant in Vietnam. He was killed in action in a firefight in the A Shau Valley.

>>>Pat Tillman was as good as it gets and his story has no place in a cry baby thread supporting a racist sports team name. Pathetic.<<<

"racist sports team name"!!!! LOL! You need to get a life.....PERIOD!!!
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You need to get a life.....PERIOD!!! >>

That doesn't make any sense to put here, but I appreciate your concern with my happiness none the less. And with a million of these threads including the same comments from the same people, I don't see the harm in exploring your idea right here.

I'm kind of a busy guy with a normal middle management job. Nothing too fancy, but we get to do little things here and there. Mostly I spend every second I can being a dad. My oldest is turning 3 next month and my wife and I have not yet taken any time away from the kids. And that's where there is some truth to your concern.

As a solution we are heading out to Cancun on Tuesday morning. We are going to swim with whale sharks, snorkel in a cave and read on the beach. There's a few days left that aren't planned for but we will just have to call an audible when we get there. I'd be interested in suggestions on a "must see" attraction if anyone has one.

I hope this helps.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15

<< <i>As a solution we are heading out to Cancun on Tuesday morning. >>

Enjoy the vacation!

<< <i>

<< <i>As a solution we are heading out to Cancun on Tuesday morning. >>

Enjoy the vacation! >>

+1

It's also quite ironic imo that the guy telling you to get a life is the one who incessantly posts on a message board the same thing over and over again while obsessing about the man he loves to hate: Tony Romo. Talk about wasted emotion.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>It's also quite ironic imo that the guy telling you to get a life is the one who incessantly posts on a message board the same thing over and over again while obsessing about the man he loves to hate: Tony Romo. Talk about wasted emotion. >>

Sports with out emotion is like Numismatics without coins.

<< <i>

<< <i>It's also quite ironic imo that the guy telling you to get a life is the one who incessantly posts on a message board the same thing over and over again while obsessing about the man he loves to hate: Tony Romo. Talk about wasted emotion. >>

Sports with out emotion is like Numismatics without coins. >>

There's a fine line between emotion and irrational obsession.

Not to mention that telling another poster to GET A LIFE...PERIOD because he disagrees with his opinion is comically ludicrous to begin with.

"""There's a fine line between emotion and irrational obsession.

Not to mention that telling another poster to GET A LIFE...PERIOD because he disagrees with his opinion is comically ludicrous to begin with."""

Yes, stuff gets magnified here. Civil disagreement makes the forum. Personal digs do not.

Irrational obsession is what sports are all about. If not, we wouldn't pay a guy $30,000,000 a year to bounce a ball and get it into a hoop half the time.
    I agree with the civil disagreement part under which telling one of the better members of these forums to get a life does not fall.

As for the irrational obsession part, yes, there are many fans that do fall under that category (sports radio wouldn't thrive without them) but I wouldn't place the majority of fans under that heading. There are many salaries in society that one can label as bloated by whatever subjective criteria they prefer, but that is our free market at work.

Happy Memorial Day!

<< <i> There are many salaries in society that one can label as bloated by whatever subjective criteria they prefer, but that is our free market at work. >>

Yes indeedy. As long as the free market is free!