Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

World Coin valuation question

I deal primarily in U.S. obsolete coins, but I recently purchased an estate with at least 10,000 world coins that were accumulated over about a 50 year period. The coins were organized in 3-ring binders by country. There was a lot of Canada, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, along with others like Germany, Italy, Fiji, Austria, Denmark, China, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Belgium, France, etc. There are at least 50 binders in all. I've gone through the albums and pulled out all of the modern 5-for-a-dollar stuff, so everything that's left is good. There is a lot of silver, as well. This was a five-figure deal, so there is some really nice material in the group.

I'm meeting a friend tomorrow who has collected world coins for at least 30 years. He wants to look the group over, and I'd like to shoot him a price for everything.

My question is: how much under Krause is a fair price for both sides? I was thinking between 50% and 70%, but I really could use some advice from some folks who deal in this market.

Thanks !

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the rarity, 50% of Krause sounds right. Difficult to say without seeing the coins or a list. Common silver will go for melt or a melt - 5%.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    In my part of the world, and for such a big transaction, I'd say 35% tops.Then again, there isn't much cash flow over here lately.

Some pieces from some countries can make all the difference, Krause is useless in pricing so much decent material. If there are such nice and popular high grade coins among them, then ajaan's estimate makes much more sense, since it's you who's asking to buy, not your friend asking to sell and I'm sure that you don't want to offend him.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Thanks for the input. I don't want to run him off, but I also don't want to leave too much on the table.

Thanks again !
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are any of those modern coins in Unc?

What was 5 for a dollar ten years ago can be 5 for $500 now.
    Tempus fugit.
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Are any of those modern coins in Unc?

What was 5 for a dollar ten years ago can be 5 for $500 now. >>

That's all well and good if you know which coins the 5 for $500 are. If you don't, they're all 5 for a dollar.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage

Yeps, Mr Potatohead is right, you know or you don't. And there are still several overpriced coins from the 50s and 60s in Krause.

It took me half an hour to identify 7 Egyptian silver coins (this was 5-7 mins tops), write down the KM numbers (from 2 different volumes of Krause), values, grams conditions and put them into individual flips with a stapled 2x2 white envelope on each. I don't know how you guys do it with world lots by the kilo, but it's quite unpleasant to the eyes. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    Any Israel/Palestine material in that mix?