Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OK, I admit I lied.........

When I posted this thread, I said that I've got an Ionian coin (a 1835 1 lepton), which I've decided to return, after I realized that it was inferior to my own example. I also said that I didn't want reimbursement, because said dealer is someone I want to become a client of his : no great collection has ever been built by auction purchases only and/or purchases ,trades with collectors, a few good DEALERS are absolutely needed in order to fill some voids and more. This is one dealer that I want to become his client, and for this reason, I've decided not to ask for a reimbursement, but to switch this Ionian for another coin, even more expensive.

But did you really believe that I would have done such an effort for an otherwise nice, but a 0.500 silver Turkish coin? image Politics aside, they have no business in coins, why on earth did I sell my beloved

AH 1277/4 10 para proof NGC PF66BN in order to replace it with that? No, no no.

I ended up switching the Ionian with this Italian gold coin, reasonably priced,1932-R 50 lire gold, raw BU, virtually as struck according to the seller and with a mintage of 12000.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with gold. Sweet coin. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, the Italians put some very interesting historical designs on the coins of this period.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive design with low mintage to top it off. Nice addition.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early 20th century Italian material represents (to me) some superb designwork - I saw a bunch with an Italian dealer at the NY Show, and quite a few are of low mintage.

I agree Dimitri regarding support from knowledgeable dealers.

BTW - who did the image?
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Image is by the dealer himself Z., he's quite talented at that.

BTW, thanks for all the nice comments so far.

And it wasn't an outright lie. I did indeed thought of choosing that Turkish coin, but instead I've browsed the dealer's inventory, and this was a coin I always wanted to own.

Now that I have it, I've looked it up and was quite curious. The same design was introduced in 1912 I think, but with LMU standards, as in 20 lire = 6.45 grams. Mintages are infinite in this version, and prices vary from $3500 to over $30000 , which I assume is way more in reality with a mintage of 20.

Then, in 1932 and around that date, the same design resurfaces but with a peculiar weight of 4.6 grams, but who cares in the end? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! But then, I like that 'between the wars' stuff designed by the Italians (like the Albanians image). Cool coin and worthy.

• Options
    One to lust after all right.

I just can't afford to get into high grade gold until it's a must in a registry set.

Lovely piece though.
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.