Home Precious Metals
Options

Barclay's manipulating gold? Say it ain't so Joe6P.

roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
Barclay's fined for gold manipulation

Of course it was a "rogue" trader once again because we all know gold is not illegally manipulated. Coincidentally, the day of this mini-puke was June 28th 2012, the last low of that summer. Just the day before, they were fined for manipulating Libor....lol. Oddly, June 28th 2013 was also a major-puke day for gold. Have to wonder if Barclay's was playing on that day as well?

They don't call it the "gold fixing" for nothing.

They only got caught once. That means they were clean the previous 8 years. image
Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm shocked!

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do I feel that it is still going on?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skeptics!! all of you!!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I read that this morning and thought, gee, imagine that. The fine they got was just a slap on the hand. Like fining me $1 for doing something illigal. If they want to curtail it, which they probably don't, they need to increase the fines by say a factor of 10. As it is, these fines are just to make us average joes feel like some sort of justice was handed out.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But... but... there must be a mistake. There are posters here that keep saying there is no manipulation in the gold market... just normal supply and demand in action and is all to be expected.....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But... but... there must be a mistake. There are posters here that keep saying there is no manipulation in the gold market... just normal supply and demand in action and is all to be expected..... >>

Wonder if this was predicted by Coho's chart.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But... but... there must be a mistake. There are posters here that keep saying there is no manipulation in the gold market... just normal supply and demand in action and is all to be expected..... >>

there is manipulation and then theres manipulation, not the same...
    the pm doomers issue is if they havent already recognized... is you can manipulate what is relatively what this article is about, which is prices at close, but you cant manipulate a trend...

its all really how one defines manipulation... little pic, big pic...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>there is manipulation and then theres manipulation, not the same...
    the pm doomers issue is if they havent already recognized... is you can manipulate what is relatively what this article is about, which is prices at close, but you cant manipulate a trend... its all really how one defines manipulation... little pic, big pic... >>

Appears the regulators who levied the hefty fine in this case have a clear definition - probably no different than how most here define manipulation. There would be many more cases (particularly in the US) if regulators weren't afraid to do their job. Look for continued exposure of the "little" cases while the "big" cases remain too big to jail. Don't confuse PM believers with PM doomers; dollar doomers is what we are.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Wonder if this was predicted by Coho's chart.

image >>

I'm sorry.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Proof is clear from this exploitation of a computer system that gold was manipulated down from 1900 to 1200 to enrich the bankers and Chinese.

• Options
    gold was manipulated down from 1900 to 1200 to enrich the bankers and Chinese

or to create the impression that reckless debt monetization doesn't cause gold prices to rise

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i> gold was manipulated down from 1900 to 1200 to enrich the bankers and Chinese

or to create the impression that reckless debt monetization doesn't cause gold prices to rise >>

Some impression.

Funny thing about the story is that I doubt there is a broker alive that did not "paint the tape" by placing a trade in the last second to get a favorable print. In the old days of 25c spreads, a trade at the offer could make a portfolio look $2500 higher. This was great at the end of quarter or end of month. Or at end of month that is also end of quarter (june 28 for example). Even gets a few folks out of a margin call situation.

• Options

<< <i>Some impression.

Funny thing about the story is that I doubt there is a broker alive that did not "paint the tape" by placing a trade in the last second to get a favorable print. In the old days of 25c spreads, a trade at the offer could make a portfolio look $2500 higher. This was great at the end of quarter or end of month. Or at end of month that is also end of quarter (june 28 for example). Even gets a few folks out of a margin call situation. >>

You're probably right. This lone trader instituted a "mini-crash" to avoid paying out on a substantial gold contract. Now what if you get a dozen or more banks all lined up at a more critical time....let's say on April 11th 2013?
    Not to be outdone by Barclays, GS and JPM now being sued for "possible" manipulation of Zinc contracts in 2010. These guys used up so much paint in previous years, I don't know if they have any left to paint the current tapes.
    Have you seen the price of paint lately? The trading desks at the big banks and hedge funds often go an entire quarter (or year) w/o a single losing day. Why do they need to manipulate prices too? Wouldn't 90% per quarter be
    a good enough batting average? Or is this what the CEO's mean by 100% sustainability?

Zinc not to be left out of the party

• Options
    I don't know if they have any left to paint the current tapes. Have you seen the price of paint lately?

A "run" on paint? But now that the story is out, it's probably too late to buy Sherwin-Williams or DuPont.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, lighten up on Barclays.

It only happened this one time.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Why do they need to manipulate prices too?

Because they can. If you were in those traders' shoes you would be doing the same thing. These "manipulations" are very small scale for a few dollars per ounce and for seconds. Yes it adds up, but does not affect the price of gold or silver over months or years and for hundreds of dollars per ounce.

Every market since the first bizaar has had someone who influenced prices. PMs are not special.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    thought some may benefit from this i found this am...

mahty
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    JP Morgan has paid fines just about every few months for the past few years. Because most of the fines are not related to gold and silver, no one on this forum seems to notice. Anyone that is active in the stock market will sometimes get litigation forms in the mail regarding trading irregularities. Manipulation in various forms occurs in almost every trading instrument. Most blatant might be around options expiration time, when a small push with just a little juice can make or break large numbers of options because settlement is at a fixed time.

Whether long term manipulation occurs is something the little fish will never know the details about. How much is to the bull side, how to the bear side? The little fish will never know. These public stories, these fines and convictions may easily be part of a larger manipulation plan to convince the small fish about the lies spread by the big fish. Read any spy novel, or watch any spy movie or TV series, to get a feel for how deep deception can become. I tend to believe that people and firms smart enough to manipulate huge financial markets are smart enough to deceive those trying to report or blog on the subject.

If you ever talk to a really, really smart person, in any field, an observant person can tell they are just on a different level. For spies and manipulators those at the top level can run rings around 99.9999% of the folks out there. The levels of lies, their skill at the game, mean the real truth is never seen by the little fish. They don't use a broad brush or an ax as a tool, like this story seems to be about. The master manipulator massages the mood of the trading crowd. If they can convince the masses that they are manipulating to one side, they are almost certainly playing the crowd for marks, and may often be doing the reverse of what the crowd is thinking they are doing.
  • Options
    Anyone think coin auctions are not manipulated?

• Options
    Courtesy of Nanex, the charts show the active Gold Futures contract on June 28, 2012 during the London afternoon gold fixing (3pm London time, 10am Eastern Time), which is when we now know the Barclays trader intentionally manipulated the price lower.

1. August 2012 Gold (GC) Futures trades and quote spread over a 5 second period of time (10:00:21 to 10:00:26 Eastern).

The important London gold fix price was $1558.96 which is near the middle of the price on this chart. Approximately 1,100 contracts were traded during the sudden price drop
    .....and that saves you $3.9 MILL

This was only the equivalent of 3.4 tonnes of paper gold. What about the more significant dumps of the past 2 years where the volume was up to 100X larger than this?

Link to charts

Gold manipulation took place for a decade....or put another way....it took them 10 years to catch up to Barclays.

The FCA said Barclays had failed to “adequately manage conflicts of interest between itself and its customers as well as systems and controls failings, in relation to the gold fixing” between 2004 and 2013.

Some further details on Plunkett's manipulating the gold price.

The FCA said Mr Plunkett had manipulated the market by placing, withdrawing and re-placing a large sell order for between 40,000 oz and 60,000 oz of gold bars.

It's one thing to place a legit order and stick to it it. But using HFT's to place, withdraw, and re-place the same order? Show us where this guy did the same but with a "buy" order of this size.

More detailed info