Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Troas, Birtytis: bronze AE8, ca. 300 BC

Troas, Birtytis: bronze AE8, ca. 300 BC

Obverse: bearded head of Kabeiros right, wearing conical hat.
Reverse: B-I/P-Y around club, all surrounded by laurel wreath.

8 mm, 1.1 g. Sandy/earthen patina. Ex- Andreas Reich ("areich" on FORVM ancient coins boards), Berlin, Germany. Sold to and later repurchased from "bronzemat" (Collectors Universe), 5/20/2014.

Birytis' precise location in Western Asia Minor is uncertain, but it probably stood either south of Troy or near the Hellespont (Dardanelles). Thus far, coins are the only surviving evidence of this city's existence.

Coins of Troas, Birtytis (Wildwinds page)

Wikipedia links:
Troas (the Troad)
Kabeiros (the Cabeiri)

When posted here, this coin was part of my Greek & Roman Provincial collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all "cheap" ancient coins are unappealing. This tiny little coin cost me a mere $15 the first time I bought it. At some point I sold or swapped it to Mat for $20 or so. Now that I've started collecting Greek coins, he offered it back to me at his cost, but I paid him $25 so he could make something off the deal. It was worth that to have it back, as I really like the well-executed portrait and the contrasting sandy patina on this piece. I still considered it a good buy at 25 bucks. I've seen several out there which were more expensive and not as appealing. It's really an impressive coin for one so tiny.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

I had to look up that location and deity

good detail on such a tiny coin and you can't go wrong with that patina image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of bang in a coin for a mere $25 the latest time you bought it!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very nice LM. It reminds of me of the Seleucid coinage that I am fond of as well.