Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Calabria, Taras: silver obol, ca. 250 BC

Calabria, Taras- silver obol, ca. 250 BC.

Obverse- kantharos, surrounded by (five) pellets.
Reverse- kantharos, surrounded by pellets.

11 mm, 0.4 g. Ex-Brian Bucklan (bargainbinancients.com), 5/22/2014.

With cabinet toning from an old collection.

Original seller page
Coins of Calabria, Taras (Wildwinds)

Wikipedia links:
Taras (Tarentum, Taranto)
Kantharos (cantharus)

When posted here, this coin was part of my Greek & Roman Provincial collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I really Like the toning on this piece LM. Very nice.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I like this piece image

the kantharos is a cup mainly for wine attributed to Dionysus

interesting that a coin from Taras doesn't have Taras on it or say Taras when that city (modern day Taranto) has used that Taras riding dolphin founding myth image much like the twins and the she wolf from ancient times all the way to today
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Beautifull little coin ! congrats
    but 0,4 Gram ? ? is that correct
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if that weight is correct or not, yet.

Now when important life decisions come down to a coin toss, I can always win. Provided I choose "kantharos" instead of "heads" or "tails". image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Coin is in hand as of today, and it's nice.

Very tiny. I still am getting used to how tiny some of these ancient Greek pieces are. They must have lost a ton of them, and the metal detectorist in me dreams of what it would be like to get loose over there, if it were legal. So many tiny coins must be in the ground as casual losses, let alone the hoards that must be waiting to be found.

Andres, I haven't checked the weight, but the envelope felt empty. This coin weighs practically nothing!

And yet the design is clear and the toning looks good, even with my fading eyesight and just reading glasses on.

It's a neat addition and I don't regret it, though I'm still getting used to how all these microdot-sized coins are looking in my album. They swim around in a 2x2 inch flip like a frog in an Olympic-sized swimming pool!

(I guess it's sort of the opposite of what Zohar experiences with his big huge multiple talers, which require oversized slabs.)

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of size that piece is just a beautiful, nicely toned ancient.
    Congrats!
    Enjoy. I know I would.image
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Then I assume the weight is indeed 0,4 gram, amazing to strike such a nice coin on such a tiny piece of silver.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Indeed it is amazing, and it makes me wonder if the ancients had developed lenses for magnification, or if the engravers were all younger people with super acute eyesight.

(After Google & Wikipedia) Aha! They did have lenses!

Guess I shouldn't be that surprised, as brilliant as they were.

I had just never considered this before.

It is still impressive how they engraved the dies for some of these tiny coins. Many are so much more sophisticated than this piece, and even tinier.