Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Numerian 283-284AD NEWP!

Just a little addition to my collection, but another Emperor to the set, so I'm okay with that.

Numerian Obverse

Numerian Reverse

It was a decent coin at a good price, so happy to add a Numerian to my collection.

Marcus Aurelius Numerius Numerianus (283-284AD) was the younger of Carus' two sons, born c. 253AD. On his father's accession, he was appointed Caesar; his father's death made Numerian Augustus, along with his elder brother Carinus. Numerian, who had accompanied Carus on his Persian war, withdrew the army from enemy territory. He was murdered or died of disease in November, 284.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad example. He can be somewhat tough to get.
  • Options
    clear legends and portrait image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Thanks JCM, Bronze and Nice!

Yes I was pretty happy with the legends and overall appearance. Especially the name on the obverse. That was pretty much key for me. It's also why I haven't bought an Otho yet. You can buy plenty of cheap Othos with no legends, but what's the point if you can't read the word "Otho" on the coin?

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A full name on the coin was always important to me, too. Portrait first, full name second, then other concerns like centering and strike and so on.

I have what I call the "No Decapitation Rule" with Greek coins, now.

Meaning that if a major part of the design is man or beast, fish or fowl, that critter had better not have any part of its head off the flan.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I really do not like coins without legible legends and incomplete portraits or reverses. Sometimes though, if I am looking to maximize shipping value for coins with a high shipping charge, I will pick those unwanted ancients if they are a dollar or two as placeholders. Their eventual destination in my mind is to YN's who may not be able to afford ancients or need a helping hand getting started. Every coin has a place somewhere, I believe.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys all sure know your history. This is very impressive to read. Congrats on the pickup. I stitched these for others to see in thread

imageimage
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    While not a period in which I would have wanted to live, the late Third Century was an interesting historical period.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Yeah, Aethelred, it was an ugly time. I mean, peace, rule of law, major war, peace, slaughtering of followers of the not victorious emperor (Geta). Brutal.

Thanks for the stitch together too Z!