Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient NEWP

Just won this one at the Pegasi auction, C. 175 BC - 150 BC, 3/4 facing head of Helios obv., rose in square with grapes reverse. It's raw but looks about an EF to me and I thought the toning was attractive. The cracked flan probably kept the price down but that's ok with me, I really don't mind that in the ancients. I believe my theme for ancients is just coins I find the design attractive, or where I think they have an interesting/historical design. This one falls in the attractive category for me, I've always thought the coins with the head of Helios were very nicely done.

Any thoughts on grade from the ancient experts?

Comments

• Options
    beautiful image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Very lovely coin. The crack is minor, I wouldn't even consider it to be a fault. The coin shows almost all the design details and the strike seems to be excellent.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice piece. I have absolutely no problem with flan problems like you shared - I think the issues add personality and individuality.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no ancient expert, but this coin sure does have nice eye appeal.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, appears to be a nice looking coin. Don't know anything about the issue though.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks EF to me and the obverse image looks out of focus which is not untypical with that high relief.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a pop out ?image
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    No thoughts except "Jealous." I was drooling over the auction, but just too far out of my league.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lovely example of a lovely type.

My latest avatar coin has the same basic design, though the rose on mine isn't inside an incuse square like the one on yours, which I rather like.

I read about your flan crack before the picture loaded, and was expecting far worse. That's more of the kind of flan crack you'd expect from a strong strike rather than a flaw in the planchet itself, which is good.

It doesn't bother me at all.

Very nice coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I agree with LM here. Any detrimental value the flan crack brings is totally outshined by the coin as a whole.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    A stunning example, makes me wish I could fit one into my set.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com