Home Sports Talk

Jerry Jones on playoff expansion

lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
As a Cowboys fan, this pisses me off.

Watch the video. The guy has given up and seems to have accepted mediocrity. Pretty much he is saying the only way the Cowboys will make the playoffs is by expansion.

How about fielding a winning team instead starting with getting a real GM?

link

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Ahhhh the lament of the long suffering sports fan. After the season of mediocrity (or worse) ends, the coach, with a satchel of FRN's heads off to Hawaii. The quarterback heads off with a satchel of FRN's to Aruba. The owner frolicks in a vault full of cable revenue.

The fan pulls out his hair.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Maybe DIMEMAN is onto something...

This is basically Jerry Jones admitting his own team sucks.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahhhh the lament of the long suffering sports fan. After the season of mediocrity (or worse) ends, the coach, with a satchel of FRN's heads off to Hawaii. The quarterback heads off with a satchel of FRN's to Aruba. The owner frolicks in a vault full of cable revenue.

The fan pulls out his hair. >>

Mets and Cowboys fan here. I've been long suffering times two lol
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>more playoffs = more $$$ >>

This. All about revenue.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Jones is an idiot.....what else you you say about an owner that will overpay an aging QB that chokes under pressure to a long term contract and let his 2 best defensive players go! TOTAL IDIOT!!!!

I remember when a bad year for the Cowboys was going 9-7 and only winning 2 games in the playoffs.

Now Tony ends our season and playoff hopes every year by choking as usual.

It's really sickening being a Cowboy fan now.......we used to be good most years and very good the others.

Now we are not even average!!!!!image
    Yeah, Jerry Jones is a real idiot~that's why he owns an NFL franchise and has a net worth of about 3 Billion dollars and you are pounding away at a keyboard with the same old tired complaints over and over again.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DIMEMAN...

Take a deep breath before you read this, it'll help you absorb my post.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is characterized by unreasonable thoughts and fears (obsessions) that lead you to do repetitive behaviors (compulsions). It's possible to have only one or the other and still have OCD.

With OCD, you may or may not realize that your obsessions aren't reasonable, and you may try to ignore them or stop them. But that only increases your distress and anxiety. Ultimately, you feel driven to perform compulsive acts in an effort to ease your stressful feelings.

Despite efforts to ignore or get rid of bothersome thoughts, the thoughts or urges keep coming back. This leads to more ritualistic behavior - and a vicious cycle that's characteristic of OCD.

YOU, YES, YOU have OCD about the Cowboys, Jerry Jones and Tony Romo. Get over yourself before you go crazy! It's only football!

I would suggest one of two things to ease your "problem"...visit Colorado for a week and enjoy Rocky Mountain High, or take your favorite lady on a cruise and spend a lot of time in your room...maybe both. You are making a fool of yourself with your rambling posts about something of which you have no control!!

>>>Yeah, Jerry Jones is a real idiot~that's why he owns an NFL franchise and has a net worth of about 3 Billion dollars and you are pounding away at a keyboard with the same old tired complaints over and over again. <<<

He may be good at business, but as far as an owner of a football team.... HE IS AN IDIOT!!image

I'm sure many here would agree with that, but don't want to offend the "All Knowing" Grote15!image
  • blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    <<He may be good at business, but as far as an owner of a football team.... HE IS AN IDIOT!!He may be good at business, but as far as an owner of a football team.... HE IS AN IDIOT!!>>

Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    ......and it started with the way he fired Landry!
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)

<< <i>......and it started with the way he fired Landry! >>

Let's face it, there is never an easy way to fire a legend such as Landry but it had to be done, plain and simple. No matter how it was done, fans will find fault in it because their feelings were hurt.

Like I've said many times, Landry had to go. The game, just as it does with every aging coach, passed him by. He was never good at relating to players but he was getting older and the players were getting younger. The league and the way it was played and coached was evolving just as any sport does.

Firing Landry brought the Cowboys a coach that in turn brought the Cowboys 3 championships in 4 years. There is no way you can be a real Cowboys fan and fault jones for that. In fact, i'ts one two things he actually did right with the hiring of Johnson being the second.

If you're going to blame Jones for anything, it would be the firing of a coach that just brought him back to back super bowl wins. The third championship over the Steelers is credited to Johnson as well. Johnson with his incredible eye for talent and his wheeling dealing nature is the reason the Cowboys were so successful. Jones knew that which is why he canned him. He wanted to run things and get the glory as Johnson did but look how it's gone for him.
    Lawnmowerman - I agree with some of your views, but I don't think the game had passed him by. He could have won those SB's with the same talent.

Nothing against Johnson. It's just Landry was THE man. Once Jerry brought Johnson in he should have let him do his job instead of forcing him out.

It's hard telling how many SB's we would have won in that time period.

Now we are DOOMED until Jerry is gone!!!!!

<< <i>Lawnmowerman - I agree with some of your views, but I don't think the game had passed him by. He could have won those SB's with the same talent >>

Of course Landry could've. Even you or I would have been able to win a super bowl with that talent lol! What you're failing to see is that talent wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for Jimmy Johnson bringing it through the draft and trades. The team was a wreck before Johnson transformed it with Jerry's money. Tex Schramm knew it. Why do you he decided to sell?

<< <i>Nothing against Johnson. It's just Landry was THE man >>

You're older than me so I undrstand your loyalty to Landry. He was an awesome coach and a great man. However, he lost his ability to relate to the players (he didn't really relate as it was even in his prime) and he failed to adapt to the league and it's changes. It's pretty clear to me given the fact when he was fired the team hadn't been to a super bowl in the 13 seasons. That's an eternity for a team that was used to success.
    Landry would never have pulled off that Herschel Walker trade that was the foundation for three Super Bowl titles. Keep Landry after 1989, and Dallas doesn't win those three titles. Only the most myopic Cowboy fan doesn't see that correlation.

I most surely agree that the Vikings trades and drafting by Johnson got us those 3 SB's.

I also think that with Jerry's reputation as it is......we will never have another top notch head coach.

When it comes to the way he runs the team NOW..........Jerry is an IDIOT!

I can't wait until he is GONE!
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a Chicago Bears fan since the late 70s. I grew up, however, in a household that ate, slept and breathed everything Dallas Cowboys. How did that happen, you ask? One name: Sweetness. But that's neither here nor there. Although I couldn't care less about the Cowboys, I do have about 35 years worth of perspective.

My old man was a die-hard DC fan growing up. He was at the game to watch the Cowboys beat the Dolphins in VI. He was there when they lost to the Steelers in X. He was there when they beat the Broncos in XII. He was there when Jackie Smith crapped all over himself in the end zone and they went on to lose to the Steelers in XIII. He was a Landry guy. A Staubach guy. A Tex Schramm guy. A Gil Brandt guy. A Verne Lundquist-on-the-radio guy. In other words, fairly old school. Granted he doesn't act like he's in dire need of a tranquilizer like DIMEMAN often does, but he comes from the same era.

So when you go from a winning culture in the 70s under the helm of a beloved man wearing a fedora hat, change is difficult. When Landry was unceremoniously jettisoned, I vividly recall my father being upset about it. Deep down he probably realized it was inevitable, but that didn't mitigate the sting. The 70s were a great, great time to be a Cowboys fan, and now it was a distant memory. When the new phase kicked in, it wasn't easy. Out went a hands-off owner in Clint Murchison...

...and in came an in-your-pants owner in Jerry Jones. That's like ordering well done and trying to stuff 16 ozs of rare down your piehole. Yet my dad was still there. He cherished the run in the early 90s, no doubt, but I sensed that it didn't quite have the same feel to it. I was never under the impression that he liked Jerry Jones. Or Jimmy Johnson, for that matter. Once again, it all goes back to that unavoidable change.

Now? My dad thinks the Cowboys are a complete laughingstock. I'll never forget him calling me during the Monday night game against the Saints last year. I picked up the phone and immediately heard, "How many points could Oregon score?" To say that he doesn't care would be a bit much. Extreme indifference would be more apt. Some might call that bandwagonish behavior, but honestly I'm not sure how one is supposed to absorb one playoff victory in 17 years when Super Bowl plans were once a ritual.

Bottom line is this: until the pseudo-GM Jerry Jones goes, nothing is going to change. And he ain't going. I would recite the definition of insanity, but instead allow me to offer some sage advice to those who follow the silver and blue: fight your way through yet another season of having your ass handed to you, then free your mind and enjoy watching the Bears in the playoffs. image
    Thanks for sharing galaxy! When you said this:

<< <i>When the new phase kicked in, it wasn't easy. Out went a hands-off owner in Clint Murchison... >>

It got me thinking. I always thought Tex Schramm was the owner of the team. So I looked it up and sure enough Clint Murchison owned the team till 1984 when he sold it to Bum Bright and partners. Bright in turn sold it to Jones. I never knew all that. What a fan I am haha

I'm guessing I always believed Schramm was the owner because the real owner was behind the scenes as one should be. Get a clue Jerry lol. I read Schramm was the face of the franchise from an organizational point of view. It said he was the most powerful gm in the league back then given free reign to do as he pleased with the team.
    The 60's and 70's were great and the 90's were the greatest. Heck even the 80's were better than lately. At least Danny While won some division titles and some playoff games.

But since Aikman retired it has been a down hill plunge of doom in both QB performance and quality of head coaching. A steady string losers including the do nothing "YES" man we have now! image

And it won't get any better until Jerry is gone! Doing away with the salary cap would help....then Jerry could just buy his way out of his stupid decisions. I HAVE ALWAYS HATED THE SALARY CAPS!!!!!
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for sharing galaxy! When you said this:

<< <i>When the new phase kicked in, it wasn't easy. Out went a hands-off owner in Clint Murchison... >>

It got me thinking. I always thought Tex Schramm was the owner of the team. So I looked it up and sure enough Clint Murchison owned the team till 1984 when he sold it to Bum Bright and partners. Bright in turn sold it to Jones. I never knew all that. What a fan I am haha

I'm guessing I always believed Schramm was the owner because the real owner was behind the scenes as one should be. Get a clue Jerry lol. I read Schramm was the face of the franchise from an organizational point of view. It said he was the most powerful gm in the league back then given free reign to do as he pleased with the team. >>

I knew Bright & Co. were sandwiched in between, but until I looked it up I didn't realize they owned the team for 5 years. Seems like JJ has been around much longer!

But yeah, you nailed it, Matt. Not many knew who Murchison was because he hired solid personnel and then backed off. Kinda the way it should be. Jerry treats the Cowboys like a play toy and molests the joystick.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>.....enjoy watching the Bears in the playoffs. image >>

you don't want me to start a Cutler thread now do ya. our favorite ballers are the current NFL version of a flying Molotov coquetail. image
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    If it's not broke, don't fix it. It's not broke!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik