Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Norman Rockwell 1971 painting 'The Collector' set for May 22 Christie's auction in New York City

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Painting commissioned by The Franklin Mint in 1970 has $700,000 to $1 million estimate

LINK

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, maybe if I sell everything I own, my husband owns, and both kidneys I could buy a square inch of it. I love the albums! I'm worried about the dog though. If he has the same toxic gas emissions as my new dog he could cause excess impurities in the environment and accelerate the toning to the coins.

Cathy

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    I don't see even one TPG'd coin. Lol. Their auction estimate seems very low. I will be surprised if this work doesn't greatly exceed one million $ US.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a nice framed reprinted from the Franklin Mint Collectors Society hanging on my wall!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their auction estimate seems very low. I will be surprised if this work doesn't greatly exceed one million $ US.

This painting is not in the style or spirit of the classic (and mostly earlier) Norman Rockwell paintings, which can be much more expensive. So even though "The Collector" appeals to coin weenies, the "low" estimate is probably justified.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I like Norman Rockwell, well... it misses the mark. Rockwell did the Nixon portrait. Without question, he is one of the best illustrators of the twentieth century- behind Maxfield Parrish.

Why do you think a collector might think it misses the mark? And I am serious and it has nothing to do with timing of when it was painted.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I missed the estimate...I guess I don't need to sell everything image. Well it may not be typical But it's still fun to look at.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what it sold for?
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know what it sold for? >>

$965,000
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    Interesting result. His Boston Red Sox painting sold for 22.6 M
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Look at the painting. Look at the loupe he's using. Look at the coins displayed behind him as trophies. No decent collector in 1971 looked like him, or used what he's using, or displayed his coins like he does. Even the album coins, assuming that they're crowns look oversized compared to the album in a realistic painting like this. The dog has no place near the coins , and Cathy's joke made me laugh, but there's serious danger having him around (no offense Andy).

But most of all, who is this young gigolo behind him pretending to be interested? Just because it's a Norman Rockwell? THUMBS DOWN.

Edited to add: on second thought, the sarcasm with the young guy who's clearly his lover (look at the collector's clothes, and I don't think that the guy behind him is his son), might actually make it worth owning it. Just not by a coin collector.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has the dog, gigolo, coffee cup - but he is wearing gloves. Nice library in the background. Quite the "man cave" - I could only dream of having such setup for my hobby!
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    His young gigolo? image

........and who built that staircase? Looks slightly out of plumb, hein?

If all those "books" are coin albums, a thief could make quick work of the place.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Man, you guys are making me feel bad about bidding on it now, glad I didn't win it. image
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like The Collector's collection is made up of Franklin Mint issues.
    No surprise there.

The most realistic part of this painting is the dog! He's begging for attention, thinking "play with me, stop playing with your coins, pay attention to meeeee, I'm your friend!"
  • Options
    There are Franklin Mint items present... and not much else.

So we have a collector of Franklin Mint material. Today, I suspect 30% of what the Franklin Mint made has been melted-Especially World coin issues

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I seem to remember that this was a self-portrait. (Not sure about the gigolo, though.)

And as for the dog having no place around coins, well, I could say the same about most people.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spoon in the full coffee cup is asking for trouble.

If the collector doesn't spill it all over the table, the dog will.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CK - just to let you know, quite a bit of FM material is on the RISE! Just yesterday 1983 base metal uncirulated sets of Barbados and Trinidad reached 621 USD and 455 USD. These are exceedingly rare, and even though I collect them as a sideline was completely blasted out of the water. 20X gain in value.

Wow, giggolo? I was thinking maybe his son (well, assuming and hoping) was at his side...Dog and coffee no go, I agree.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Please keep in mind 7Jaguars, my point was not to bash Franklin Mint stuff. There are enough other people that already do that by melting what still remains. The reason I think it missed the mark is because there should have been a been connection to things, whether coins, stamps or something of a traditional collectable beyond Franklin Mint stuff. I see see "the collector", especially in Norman Rockwell's America, as having a broader interest than what is represented in the painting...

As for FM stuff- seems there is minimal downside in buying some countries as the surviving population diminishes and the middle class rises...

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes quite...Had to cater to the patron, I suppose. Never was all that great a fan of Rockwell's anyway....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.