Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need advice for Free background removal photo editing software

I'm trying to crop photo's of some irregularly shaped coins.

Square and Circular crops are the norm, but I'm having trouble locating a crop feature which will very accurately remove backgrounds from images.
Now, I've tried using Microsoft Word's Background Removal editing feature, but my results are rather poor overall (see below).

I've tried looking for a free software which expertly removes object backgrounds but I've come up dry (and I don't just want to download random software from unknown sources).
If you have any advice for which free software programs to use for this feature that would be great. Thanks in advance image

As you can see, there is still some scattered background which I am unable to remove using Microsoft Word's Background Removal editing feature

Comments

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if there is a background removal tool, but I use photoscape as my editing software. It is free to download.

Edited to add. Just looked and could not find any background removal filters.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no idea

but can take photos on black paper and crop
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    You could try GIMP link

The user interface is pretty kludgy but it has functionality close to Photoshop and it is free.
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    ms paint with edge finding used to take out background. but as previously stated just take pic on black background.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photoshop elements is not free but not that expensive and can do a great job at this.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    If using Windows, Paint.NET is an excellent free option. And you probably want to use some sort of quick selection or magic wand tool.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    paint that comes with windows. easy peasy.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>.
    paint that comes with windows. easy peasy.
    . >>

Honestly, I've tried this and have not found it to be all that easy
  • Options
    It's not perfect, but it's better than before!

I used: Adobe photoshop elements 9

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may not be perfect but perfect isn't very far away. Looks good.

In your thread title, you said (non-photoshop).

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

<< <i>It may not be perfect but perfect isn't very far away. Looks good.

In your thread title, you said (non-photoshop). >>

Yeh, whoops image I actually forgot I had that on my computer when I started the thread, but then came upon when searching my programs image
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be easier to go back in time and talk them into making them more round! Using that manual drawing tool to trace the edges is not fun!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the "pay for" tools have them? Maybe it is not free because it takes a lot of work to develop that type of feature?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

<< <i>Do the "pay for" tools have them? Maybe it is not free because it takes a lot of work to develop that type of feature? >>

Quite understandable. And I will definitely move to buying the software, I was just looking for a quick fix for the time being image
  • Options
    jmdm1194jmdm1194 Posts: 379
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do the "pay for" tools have them? Maybe it is not free because it takes a lot of work to develop that type of feature? >>

Quite understandable. And I will definitely move to buying the software, I was just looking for a quick fix for the time being image >>

looks like it worked quite well and probably quickly i bet. i tinkered with photoshop a while back and the edge detection from what i recall was quite nice, i bet elements is about the same.

that type of cropping is certainly a weak area of mine. oblique?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Quite understandable. And I will definitely move to buying the software, I was just looking for a quick fix for the time being image >>

looks like it worked quite well and probably quickly i bet. i tinkered with photoshop a while back and the edge detection from what i recall was quite nice, i bet elements is about the same.

that type of cropping is certainly a weak area of mine. oblique?
    . >>

A problem I ran into was edge shadows and not being able to crop around objects accurately.
    I compensated by using the eraser tool and just erased as much background as possible - not great, but ok.

Here's my Gimp image - again not great, but something! Also, the file size is REALLY big - it more than doubled the image file size from 3.3 MB to >7 MB
  • Options
    the image size doesn't seem to be a problem as it looks like you "cropped" the final image which reduces the size usually several times over.

there is a smart area detection tool in photoshop. it is very useful for all kinds of purposes. it should be a very quick and easy edge fix for when the edge detects does a poor job, which seems to be often, depending on the image. sometimes great, sometimes not so much.

the comparison in paint is called "free-form selection" and can be done in sections.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file