Home Sports Talk
Options

Craziest sports stats you've ever seen?

Hello,

What are some of the craziest sports stats you've ever seen?

Here is one that really caught my eye from this past hockey season. While Alex Ovechkin led the entire NHL in goals with 51, his +/- rating was a -35. That seems amazing. I mean, I know he's not considered the best defensive forward and on a so-so team and such, but -35 is still shocking. His own previous worst was -19. Only 2 players in the entire NHL had a lower +/- this year.

Anyway, what are some the most shocking stats you can remember?

I hope this starts a good discussion.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

5:05 PM ET, August 22, 2007

Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore, Maryland

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    TEX 0 0 0 5 0 9 0 10 6 30 29 1
    BAL 1 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 9 1
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if this would be considered a "crazy" statistic, but it sure is impressive.

Bill Walton going making 21 out of 22 shots from the field (plus two free throws) for a total of 44 points in UCLA's 87-66 victory over Memphis State in the 1973 NCAA title game. He also had 13 rebounds.

He also had a personal winning streak in basketball from the middle of his junior year in high school through the middle of his junior year in college where the teams he played for (High School, UCLA freshman team and UCLA varsity team) never lost a game.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Tampa Bay's streak of 1,865 tries (32 seasons) without a kickoff return for a TD.

Cubs - haven't won a World Series since 1908.

Connie Mack - managed the same team from age 38 to age 87.
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    Cal Ripken's streak
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Alex Ferguson-- never losing a home game in 27 years where Man Utd lead at halftime.
  • Options
    The only one that counts. Edwin Moses.

"""Edwin Corley Moses (born August 31, 1955) is a former American track and field athlete, who won gold medals in the 400 m hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics. Between 1977 and 1987, Moses won 107 consecutive finals (122 consecutive races) and set the world record in his event four times."""
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Edwin Moses was a beast Unstopable. Didn't Carl Lewis do similar??

How about Al Orta 4x consecutive Olympic Gold in Discus
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sticking with the theme of the OP: hockey.

Bobby Orr had a +/- of +124 in the 1970-1971 season. Ridiculous for any player, let alone a defenseman who logged a lot of ice time.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tampa Bay's streak of 1,865 tries (32 seasons) without a kickoff return for a TD. >>

They also didn't even have a punt return for a TD until 1994, which covered 19 seasons.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Here is one that really caught my eye from this past hockey season. While Alex Ovechkin led the entire NHL in goals with 51, his +/- rating was a -35. That seems amazing. I mean, I know he's not considered the best defensive forward and on a so-so team and such, but -35 is still shocking. His own previous worst was -19. Only 2 players in the entire NHL had a lower +/- this year.

That tends to happen when when your primary even strength line-mates (Backstrom, Johansson, Erat) for the entire season combine for all of 27 goals. Terrible goaltending, terrible defense from the blueline out, and the entire Ovechkin/Backstrom/Johansson 1st line's defense is also brutal. When the Ovechkin/Backstrom/Johansson line was on the ice the collective combined for a .902 on ice save%. Then look at the primary second line, Brouwer (.927%), Grabovski(.932%) and a rotating cast of tens (Penner, Laich, Kuznetsov, Erat etc) was around a combined .925 on ice SV%.

Esther Vergeer (Dutch women's wheelchair tennis player) won 470 straight singles matches dating Feb 2003 until she retired in Feb of 2013. Over that decade run, she lost only 18 sets total. Retired with a 770-25 career singles record. Add another 440-35 record in doubles. A more dominating athlete over recent vintage there is not.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that Gordie Howe played in 5 decades is pretty amazing

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cal Ripken's streak >>

I consider this to be a highly overrated record, along with DiMaggio's hit streak.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One I heard during tonight's Tigers game: Victor Martinez went nearly a full year, playing full-time, without taking a called 3rd strike.
  • Options
    This clip will make your heart skip a beat.

Secretariat.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This clip will make your heart skip a beat.

Secretariat. >>

One for the ages

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cal Ripken's streak >>

I consider this to be a highly overrated record, along with DiMaggio's hit streak. >>

Totally agree about Cal's streak. DiMaggio's was tough though as the pressure builds with each game in a hit steak.
  • Options

<< <i>I consider this to be a highly overrated record, along with DiMaggio's hit streak. >>

I do too. For one thing, during Dimaggio's streak, he was outhit by Ted Williams, .412 to .408.

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One I heard during tonight's Tigers game: Victor Martinez went nearly a full year, playing full-time, without taking a called 3rd strike. >>

another V-Mart stat. He has 12 HRs and 11 K's this season. That's a good ratio, I'm told.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    For me the craziest (in my lifetime) is farve. There was at least 3 guys trying to kill him on every play, but usually more. It's the not for long league and many of the players are currently experiencing major issues from the multiple concussions they suffered. If he wouldn't have ended his career in the way he did, I think it would have been mentioned already.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Secretariat. >>

Absolutely amazing, a 2:24 1 1/2 mile world record that still stands today. No horse has ever even broken 2:25. Classic call by Chic Anderson, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    He is moving like a tremendous machine!
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Just read this one today:
    "Zack Greinke's stretch of 21 straight starts allowing two or fewer runs ended. A mark that hadn't been matched since at least 1914 was done in by some sloppy play."

Game Recap

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>Just read this one today:
    "Zack Greinke's stretch of 21 straight starts allowing two or fewer runs ended. A mark that hadn't been matched since at least 1914 was done in by some sloppy play."
    >>

Not bad, but Zack pitched 3 innings in one of those games and 5 innings in a few of the others. He's got a pretty big advantage over the pitchers from previous eras because they were probably averaging about 2 more innings per start.
  • Options
    Jerry Rice,
    22,895 receiving yards. Next closest was TO at 15,000
    197 TDs, next closest is Moss at 156
    1549 receptions, next closest is Gonzalez at 1300, and behind him is a logjam at 1100

I doubt these records will be broken anytime soon
  • Options
    May as well throw in Nolan Ryan's career strike outs at 5714.

Next up is Randy Johnson at 4875

7 no hitters for Ryan.

Next up Sandy Koufax at 4.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Secretariat

Years ago a buddy card shop owner had a signing with Ron Turcott the jockey.

He said the owners were thinking during the race, "what the _ _ _ _ is he doing to that horse,"

Turcott said from the opening gate to the finish line he did nothing else but hold on.

The horse ran on his own.

I remember watching that live on TV. Mouth opening wow!!!!!!!
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Continuing along the horse racing theme, I always found the 1978 Triple Crown chase between Affirmed/Alydar amazing. Given that they both ran 1-2 (Affirmed/Alydar) for 3 races at 3 different distances and were seperated by a total of less than, IIRC, 2 lengths, was really amazing. Derby-1+1/2 length,Preakness-neck,Belmont-Nose. Alydar did eventually turn the tables that year at Saratoga, but was on a DQ of Affirmed. I believe Alydar was the better sire of offspring to hit the races. Since Affirmed is my all time favorite horse I have been keenly observing the shots taken at the Triple Crown by the various horses these past 36 years. I have gone so far as betting on the challenger in the Belmont that had won the first 2 legs of the Triple Crown, hoping to jinx the horse who had the chance to win the Belmont/Triple Crown. I am counting on my poor horse betting luck to stymie Chromes effort and "protect" Affirmed legacy as the last triple Crown winner. So far I have "won" this bet. But it has been worth the actual monetary $2 loss. I wish no ill will to the horse physically, rather just to have his nose come up just a tad short at the wire. Guess this is how Babe Ruth devotees felt in hoping Maris did'nt break the HR record. We fans sure have our devotions to sport stars/records don't we?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one thing I like about Chrome's chances is that he has demonstrated the ability to accelerate late~I think this horse has great stamina which will serve him well over the mile and a half course. If he takes a clean trip, I certainly like his chances.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Over the last 30 or so years the Belmont Stakes brings out odd events. Spectacular Bid stepping on a safety pin the morning of the race. A 1 eyed horse, Coastal, winning the race. Highly touted horses like:Big Brown, Smarty Jones, Funny Cide losses. Big win payoffs. It seems there is always a New York based horse/trainer that sits back and goes "gunning" to derail a triple crown hopeful. Usually it's a fresh horse as well that comes out ahead with the grind of the triple crown taking it's toll on the holder of the first 2 jewels. A long time/well noted handicapper/horse enthusiast, Harvey Pack, who used to host the NYRA horse recap shows in NY, had an interesting betting theory:"Never bet a horse as a favorite in a distance they have never won at before at that distance." Since this 1+1/2 miles will be a first for all these horses, and most likely their last, I will bet Chrome to "hex" him, but my serious wager will be elsewhere. As there will be alot of sentimentality dollars wagered on Chrome to complete the sweep, it should provide some juicy/fat odds on the remaining horses in the field. Many will not even cash the winning ticket on him, opting to keep it as a souvenir. My friends father still has his winning ticket on Onion who defeated Secretariat at Saratoga. If he does complete the feat, he will certainly get my praise for his effort, as it is a difficult task to achieve.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>

Secretariat. >>

Absolutely amazing, a 2:24 1 1/2 mile world record that still stands today. No horse has ever even broken 2:25. Classic call by Chic Anderson, too. >>

I believe Secretariat was voted the only non-human as Athlete of the Year in 1973. Or Sports Illustrated Athlete of the Year.