Home Precious Metals
Options

Is this a rare 5oz silver bar?

I searched google regarding this bar and found 2 worthpoint sales with descriptions I'll post the links below. How rare is this bar and is it worth the 475$ mentioned in one listing? Thanks!

Worthpoint 1

Worthpoint 2

Forgot the photos! sorry image

Finest Coins and Relics

Comments

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New York Honduras mining company bar. I recall they were given to company shareholders with a cloth bag.

They are uncommon but not rare. $475 is pretty steep for one. Half of that amount or even less seems more appropriate.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    A real nice Rosario rare 5ozer just got $150 on eBay...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A real nice Rosario rare 5ozer just got $150 on eBay... >>

Thanks for the replies. Can you link this sale please, I can't seem to find any sales of this exact bar in previous ebay sales for some reason...Thanks!
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    When Spot was in the mid $30's, I got $440 for the 10 oz version. Wish I still had a pic of it but the computer I had that had it on it crashed awhile back.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    This might be the bar rt1 is refering to.
    not the same style as yours though

Seller goofed it up listing it as a 5 oz, showed a 5 oz, but described it as a 10 oz.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market for rare silver bars is very thin. Take a bar like this one to a coin shop and you'll be lucky to get full melt for it. About the only place that rare bars bring a significant premium over melt is eBay.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>About the only place that rare bars bring a significant premium over melt is eBay >>

Yikes!

yet true.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've paid a premium over melt for some scarcer and more interesting bars on the BST but I'm realistic enough to know that I'll have trouble getting that premium back some day when I or my heirs sell them. When you buy rare bars or even rare coins, it always helps to have an exit strategy in mind.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Picked these 2 bars up as well:

Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like those Keller squares.
  • Options
    The right items are being bid up by collectors. Unusual (read desirable) 5 oz and 10 oz Engelhard bars sold on Ebay this weekend. The 5oz sold for $560 while the 10 oz brought $461.

The new owners of these bars would never dream of trying to sell them at a LCS. For this collector niche local coin shops are as relevant as pawn shops.

Ebay is the route to reach fellow scarce bar collectors in addition to collector-to-collector deals.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like those Keller squares. >>

+1
    Never seem them before, nice!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < For this collector niche local coin shops are as relevant as pawn shops>

true.

I like the fact that truly "rare" bars are not tied to spot.

This is a developing emerging market.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    My only concern would be the single point of failure to get out.
    Not likely, but like any other collectible where the value (past melt) is determined solely by the amount of interested parties who are aware and clicking, no platform = trouble.

where an ASE roll is liquid by a variety of means.

But hey, collect what you like. I chased rare bars for awhile myself (and still overpay for Pamp!)

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My only concern would be the single point of failure to get out.
    Not likely, but like any other collectible where the value (past melt) is determined solely by the amount of interested parties who are aware and clicking, no platform = trouble.

where an ASE roll is liquid by a variety of means.

But hey, collect what you like. I chased rare bars for awhile myself (and still overpay for Pamp!) >>

I like to have plenty of bullion for liquidity

rare bars I have on the collectable side of the ledger.

I'm prepared to wait 10-20 years for this market to develop and sometimes you have to make a marketimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    The 5oz sold for $560 while the 10 oz brought $461.

If we're talking about the same 5 oz'er, ummm, I paid a little more than that image
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 5oz sold for $560 while the 10 oz brought $461.

If we're talking about the same 5 oz'er, ummm, I paid a little more than that image >>

nope, possibly that 5 ozer could be one of a kind...
    yours give to your great, great, great grandkids, sadly thats just the way it is...image
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>The 5oz sold for $560 while the 10 oz brought $461.

If we're talking about the same 5 oz'er, ummm, I paid a little more than that image >>

Indeed we are talking about the same 5 oz bar. It was the 5 oz Engelhard with the FPM company hallmark on the reverse.

Nicely done. There were 5 bidders including yourself at $500 or above in that shootout. Only two examples known now.