Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sikyon stater (and a museum pedigree)

This coin is a considerable upgrade to a previous example I owned. I bought it from the most recent Roma auction at considerably more than I thought it would go for, but didn't want to let it go and miss the opportunity to own it. This coin was part of the Jacob K. Stein collection, a great collection of 182 ancient coins displayed at the Cincinnati Art Museum for 12 years between 1996 and 2008.

Sikyon AR Stater. Circa 350-330 BC. Chimaera, with lion's body and goat forepart rising from back, advancing left, right paw raised, SE below, wreath above / Dove flying left, N below beak; all within laurel wreath BMC Peloponnesus 57-58. ACGC 306. Cf. Traite III 776; SNG Copenhagen 48; BCD 218. 12.25g, 24mm, 2h. Perfectly centered, struck on a large flan, and magnificently toned with exquisite violet highlights. Superb Extremely Fine.

Displayed at Cincinnati Art Museum, 1996-2008, no. 49. Acquired from Harlan J. Berk, July 1988.

Sikyon was located 11 miles northwest of Corinth in the northern Peloponnesus and was known in antiquity for its industries including wood sculpture, bronze work, andpottery. Its central location meant it was frequently involved in the wars of its neighbors, Thebes, Corinth, Athens and Sparta. It was the main mint for the anti-Athenian states in the Peloponnesian war and issued a substantial number of coins, most of which were melted down to finance further conquests.

Sikyon was the cradle of western art, credited with originating tragedy in theater, the modern art of painting as it still stands today, and the invention of using multiple instruments arranged orchestrally. The great sculptors Polykleitos and Lysippos both studied at the famous in Sikyon.

This coin comes from an issue of staters produced at Sikyon after Alexander’s appeal for mercenaries from the Peloponnese in 334 BC. They seemed to have been paid out as a signing bonus and then buried for safe-keeping. Unfortunately, many of these mercenaries never came back, explaining why many coins of this type still exist today and were never melted down.

The coin depicts a chimera, a mythical, fire-breathing monster composed of parts of three animals: a lion with the head of a goat arising from its back and a tail that ends in a snake’s head, walking proudly to the left in an almost heraldic manner. According to Greek mythology, the chimera was slain by Bellerophon with Apollo’s help, and appeared on most of the major coinage of Sikyon. A dove is also depicted, representing the main emblem of the city and a symbol of spirit.
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe - this is top of the line material. Great write-up, imaging. The coin itself has a beautiful design, is eye appealing and perfectly centered. THANK YOU for sharing!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin. Poignant history- interesting (if tragic) to think of how so many coins survived because their owners didn't.

The chimera, as if not already appearing supernatural enough, has a mystical glow from the toning.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Lovely stater accented by the very old electric blue toning and great provenance. Congrats.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a killer piece, congrats.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy hell, man. That is literally one of the nicest coins I've seen in my 40 years as a collector.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • What a fantastic piece! Love the write up as well, the explanation as to why they survived it high grade is interesting

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing... the coin and the image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin and great history!
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll second Weiss..Hello Heaven, this piece is spectacular, and the pic is awesome!
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll second Weiss..Hello Heaven, this piece is spectacular, and the pic is awesome! >>

This.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That coin is something I dream of owning. Very very nice.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must.Not.Go.To.The.Light

No money, no honey.

But, OMG, what nice honey!!!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Wow. That's just insane. One of the most beautiful coins I've ever seen.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Joe - this is top of the line material. Great write-up, imaging. The coin itself has a beautiful design, is eye appealing and perfectly centered. THANK YOU for sharing! >>

That.

Your posts are a jewel to this forum and they will become a great inspiration for several members who are finding themselves, switching to ancients. In 11 years here as a member, I can honestly say that this is the first year that the forum honors its name as "World & ancients" that were practically inexistent for the past decade with some notable exceptions, by Weiss, Hyperion and others. Now, there's clearly a trend, and you have a lot to do with its creation.

Fantastic write up.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems rather a rich irony that a coin struck for someone's war chest should so prominently feature a dove, doesn't it?

But of course they would have used the dove as a symbol before all that.

As an aside, I wonder how long doves have been associated with peace? Is that a biblical connotation? Could this coin even predate that?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Incredible piece with a fascinating story.

Excellent post!
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Your posts are a jewel to this forum and they will become a great inspiration for several members who are finding themselves, switching to ancients. In 11 years here as a member, I can honestly say that this is the first year that the forum honors its name as "World & ancients" that were practically inexistent for the past decade with some notable exceptions, by Weiss, Hyperion and others. Now, there's clearly a trend, and you have a lot to do with its creation.

Fantastic write up. >>

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words and support from the forum, and the pieces/information everyone else shares as well.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems rather a rich irony that a coin struck for someone's war chest should so prominently feature a dove, doesn't it?

But of course they would have used the dove as a symbol before all that.

As an aside, I wonder how long doves have been associated with peace? Is that a biblical connotation? Could this coin even predate that? >>

I do quite like the juxtaposed symbolism on these staters. In antiquity, it was well known that doves were kind, peaceful, and honorable animals, mating for life and working together to build nests and raise their young. Greeks and Romans felt that they represented love and devotion and it was the sacred animal for multiple goddesses, so I'd have to believe that the iconography was some form of "war and peace".