Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Beware fake 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 4 on ebay

this is a pretty bad looking fake already been reported to ebay

fake mantle

Comments

• Options
    mattinglymint23mattinglymint23 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭
    Wow - granted I recently started educating myself on this card by reading the various resources about it - but it really stands out between the suspicious flip and the halftone printing on the blue background. Not a good job at all.
  • Options
    So I am clueless about this....can you educate me here...what are the dead easy, low handing fruit, giveaways that this is junk? What are the more hard to find areas that also prove this is a fake? Thank you. Meatloaf
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    So I am clueless about this....can you educate me here...what are the dead easy, low handing fruit, giveaways that this is junk? What are the more hard to find areas that also prove this is a fake? Thank you. Meatloaf

Here is a good site regarding FAKE 52 MICKS.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    The seller has ended the listing as there was an "error" in the listing. It was already up to $18,900.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $18,900 was the buy it now price.
    James
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I am clueless about this....can you educate me here...what are the dead easy, low handing fruit, giveaways that this is junk? What are the more hard to find areas that also prove this is a fake? Thank you. Meatloaf

Here is a good site regarding FAKE 52 MICKS. >>

Thanks Doug! Great info
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I am clueless about this....can you educate me here...what are the dead easy, low handing fruit, giveaways that this is junk? What are the more hard to find areas that also prove this is a fake? Thank you. Meatloaf

Thanks Doug! Great info on that site!
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I alerted him about the fake card, and he got really s***ty towards me! I was just letting him know so he could pursue getting his money back from whomever he bought it from.
  • Options

Great education, thanks for sharing
  • Options

<< <i>I alerted him about the fake card, and he got really s***ty towards me! I was just letting him know so he could pursue getting his money back from whomever he bought it from. >>

same here he got really s***ty with me to when i told him his card was fake. I told him to contact PSA or email a scan of it to Joe Orlando and they would confirm its fake. He even told me he is reporting me to ebay for costing him thousands of dollars lol what a je*k off
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Stupid question????? At what point do things like this become illegal and warrant some action by authorities. There's got to be some sort of legal response or this would be going on all the time....and it isn't. There's not tons of people trying to sell fake $20,000 items. Does anyone know what is being done with this 52 Mantle situation?
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stupid question????? At what point do things like this become illegal and warrant some action by authorities. There's got to be some sort of legal response or this would be going on all the time....and it isn't. There's not tons of people trying to sell fake $20,000 items. Does anyone know what is being done with this 52 Mantle situation? >>

Totally agee. Ebay needs to hire out some help with all that extra cash they pocket and get some expert eyes on supposed high end cards and bust these sellers. It's scam central on their site.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Also be careful of the Ruth card.......the cert number isn't checking out on the SGC registry. I think the welds in the holder may have been tampered with very carefully
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options

<< <i>Also be careful of the Ruth card.......the cert number isn't checking out on the SGC registry. I think the welds in the holder may have been tampered with very carefully >>

Yikes...ty for the tip...

And Semper Fi (Ode to your Icon)
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Stupid question????? At what point do things like this become illegal and warrant some action by authorities. There's got to be some sort of legal response or this would be going on all the time....and it isn't. There's not tons of people trying to sell fake $20,000 items. Does anyone know what is being done with this 52 Mantle situation? >>

Totally agee. Ebay needs to hire out some help with all that extra cash they pocket and get some expert eyes on supposed high end cards and bust these sellers. It's scam central on their site. >>

I am more likely to buy a high end card on the bst then on ebay.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

There's nothing about that picture which would indicate it's a fake card. If the extent of your expertise is watching youtube videos you should not be so quick to post your opinion and concerns in a thread created 5 years ago to warn people about a fake card on Ebay.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2019 12:24PM

Cards 100% good my man

There’s two different types if that’s what you think might be wrong with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-311-Mickey-Mantle-PSA-2-0773/132939991405?hash=item1ef3d7496d:g:AZQAAOSwwTlbEIJH

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Egshhhhh!

Can you imagine, being told that that 40k you just dropped was on a Fugazi,,,

@bobbyw8469 said:
    I alerted him about the fake card, and he got really s***ty towards me! I was just letting him know so he could pursue getting his money back from whomever he bought it from.

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

@Huckleberry said:
    Also beware of people selling reprint and fake babe ruth rookie cards on ebay. They will take the reprints and dirty them up and crease them to make them look older. Always check their feedback and also check the other items they are selling. Usually if they are selling fakes then they will have a history of selling these types of older, rarer cards. Alot of times they will also have negative feedback from other people they ripped off.

Or you could just look at the picture and see that it’s an obvious reprint. And if don’t have the ability to do that then you should stop looking to buy anything raw of value on eBay.