Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful stuff!

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    That 1625 is amazing! Worth the price IMO.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Where are these from? I know nothing!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Tookybandit, these are from France. Jetons, or basically tokens, were designed by some of France's finest engravers and used for various purposes such as commemorating events or as gifts/bonuses for business or government employees. There are literally thousands of different designs. I have always preferred the ship themes and the industry-themed jetons.

I should add that many copper or bronze jetons are local issues and not minted officially, as the silver ones were. The Paris mint officially produced and regulated the silver jetons, which is likely why quality seems at least as good as their coinage was.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are gorgeous! I can see how they would be addicting. What reference material do you use for these? (Like I need any more books to read or collections to start image).

Cathy

• Options
    Mitchiner's Vol.2 - Token, jetons, etc... here's a link to the book - jeton book

That's the only comprehensive book I've come across in English, although auction sites often have info from other resources (French publications). In my own pursuits, I've always been more interested in the artwork and designs than specific historical info. Each piece can be a puzzle and information is available but in bits and pieces and scattered about. The later issues are more publicized (1800's) but the early ones can be hard to pin down.
  • Options
    Added a plaquette today.