Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ebay shill?

Hi All...

Is this the signature of 1 possibly 2 shill bidders, note Bid activity / total bids with this seller. On surface appears suspicious but don't want to miss judge

Bidder 1 Information
Bidder: s***2( 242 Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Bids on this item: 1
30-Day Summary
Total bids: 9
Items bid on: 1
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

Bidder 2 Information
Bidder: l***i( 31Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Item description:
Bids on this item: 1
30-Day Summary
Total bids: 1
Items bid on: 1
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

All 5 other bidders have been outbid and have a bid activity with the seller in a range of 0% - 16%. Bidder 2 put the 2nd last bid in and Bidder 1 came over the top

Any insight appreciated... Cheers

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I don't see any problem from the bidder activity.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought over ten thousand coins on ebay.

I have NEVER once thought or cared about a shill.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have bought over ten thousand coins on ebay.

I have NEVER once thought or cared about a shill. >>

You probably should.image

BTW for the OP that's not enough to go on if both are only one bid probably not but it's real hard too ever know for sure.
  • Options
    EDBEDB Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Many thanks for the insight from all!!!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that both bidders have only bid on one item in the last 30 days, thus the 100% bid activity with this seller. No indication of shilling.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have bought over ten thousand coins on ebay.

I have NEVER once thought or cared about a shill. >>

Unless all of your ebay purchases are Buy It Nows, with that many purchases odds are strong that you on more than one occassion paid more because of shill bidding. Just send me the money you don't mind giving away on ebay.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only bid once and at the last second. Either I win it at my price or way below my price or I lose it and so be it as I did not pay too much for an item.

Spending any time researching a shill is a waste of time and time is the MOST valuable commodity on earth. I use my time wisely. Yesterday I caught a 30 pound yellowtail on my kayak two miles out in the Pacific as I was watching San Diego Burn. One of the fires came within a third of a mile of my house but was completely out when I left so no time worrying about the fire near me.

• Options
    greenwrgreenwr Posts: 69 ✭✭
    This is Shill Bidding LINK 162 bids over the last 30 days 100% with the same seller.

Item 1908-S St Gaudens NNC AU-58

Now relisted Item 1908-S St Gaudens NNC AU-60

Best of Luck
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Conservatively I'd say 75% of all ebay coin auctions have shill bidding going on.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Conservatively I'd say 75% of all ebay coin auctions have shill bidding going on. >>

May I ask where you are getting those numbers from? Also, I think the majority or eBay coin auctions are for cheap things. Do you really think sellers are shilling their acid date nickels or filler wheat cents? Maybe on higher end coins that are run as true auctions with lower starting prices, but I very rarely bid on those and am still curious where your 75% conservatively number comes from?
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The purpose of the shill bidder is to drive up the price, not to actually buy the coin. No shill here with only 1 item bidding in 30 days and also winning the auction.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Conservatively I'd say 75% of all ebay coin auctions have shill bidding going on. >>

Conservatively to boot! image
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is Shill Bidding

LINK 162 bids over the last 30 days 100% with the same seller.

Item 1908-S St Gaudens NNC AU-58

Now relisted Item 1908-S St Gaudens NNC AU-60 >>

That seller is the undisputed shill bidding king on Ebay these days. Nobody comes close. As greenwr's example shows, if you closely track his sales over time, you will find many of the same coins being auctioned, "won", then listed again over and over. He is so flagrant now that it is almost comical. I don't think Ebay does anything about it because he is a BIG seller. Money talks...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file