Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

BIG 4" C. Megalodon prehistoric shark tooth fossil ***SWAPPED!***

This C. Megalodon (extinct giant White shark) tooth fossil is between 1.5 and 28 million years old and measures around 4" slantwise.

It was found by my fossil hunting buddy Matt Dixon, in dredge spoil material taken from the bottom of Saint Simons Sound in Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia, USA. Matt finds a lot of nice fossils, though I found some myself the other day. He gets out more often than I do.

This piece is intact with only a little bit of cracking and root wear, and is basically uncleaned as found, with a little bit of the seafloor sand still in it. (You could clean it with a toothbrush if you liked. Me, I like 'em with a little sand still in the crevices, for that natural look.)

This is a big 'un, folks. Bigger than the ones I have on eBay right now. In a tiny bit better condition than this, it could perhaps carry a 3-figure pricetag. In fact, I have seen similar Megalodon teeth of similar size and condition on some websites with $100+ pricecetags (and more, in better condition). Once you get up above 3 inches or so, these get more sought after and the prices rise almost exponentially.

You also get the BU 1950s Wheatie I used for scale and a little printed info tag.

Asking $75 delivered, or trade for similar valiue in average circulated silver Washington quarters.

As of this posting, a half roll of those- 20 coins- melts for $70.68. Something like that would do. (I'm working on a very casual album set of those and am not too picky about grade. No culls is all I ask.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey all I have in washing tons is. A gem bu 1963p DDO-I-0-II doubled in god we trust and the date
    A toned 1957 p type
    I have a 1928 standing liberty pcgs xf45
    3 raw album toned walking half dollars au
    Let me know what you would be interested in for that shark tooth
    What else do you collect?
    I have a bunch of old political buttons just sitting around
    Starting with William Jennings Bryan. 1896 button hole type..not pin backed

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Meant to be privat message but I m not writing this over
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent, Jim. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Wow that brings back memories!!! Probably 20 years ago my family went to Florida on vacation. We stopped at a gator park/zoo/whatever and they had a display case with random teeth and such. I immediately (I was a shark freak from the age of 5-16) knew what the big tooth was. They had a price tag of $25 on it, dad got them down to $20 and bought it for me.

I ended up with that Megalodon tooth, about 200 teeth I found on the beaches, a few shark embryos in glass jars, and about a dozen ceramic figures that I later painted from that trip. I have them all but that darn Megalodon tooth! Can't find it! Mom said she saw it maybe 15 years ago or so but forgets where she put it.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow that brings back memories!!! Probably 20 years ago my family went to Florida on vacation. We stopped at a gator park/zoo/whatever and they had a display case with random teeth and such. I immediately (I was a shark freak from the age of 5-16) knew what the big tooth was. They had a price tag of $25 on it, dad got them down to $20 and bought it for me.

I ended up with that Megalodon tooth, about 200 teeth I found on the beaches, a few shark embryos in glass jars, and about a dozen ceramic figures that I later painted from that trip. I have them all but that darn Megalodon tooth! Can't find it! Mom said she saw it maybe 15 years ago or so but forgets where she put it. >>

That's neat. Thanks for the reminiscences. I was born and spent my own childhood in Florida but didn't find my first Meg until I was in my mid-30s, here in GA. It was exciting.