Home Precious Metals

Weird APMEX Question

Hi everyone this is my first post on the PM side of the forum!

So I purchases 4 silver 2014 APMEX rounds from a seller and they come sealed in plastics flips. The plastic flips seem flexible like they would have PVC in them. I am assuming they came sealed from APMEX this way so I am not sure if I should take them out of leave them in the flips. Does anyone have any insight?

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

Comments

• bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    Apmex, if anything, bought several dozen monster boxes of them. So they'd have come in tubes of 20. You, not buying a tube, just got them put into the flips. I've gotten them like that too when I bought 10. Idk if they have PVC in them though. I took mine out and put them into a tube I had.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so doesn't really matter if they are in the original flips then. I will take them out and put them in something I know is safe. Thanks.

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valley Coin sells "airtite" capsules for a wide variety of sizes. The more you buy, the cheaper they are.

Airtite capsule specifications and sizes

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi everyone this is my first post on the PM side of the forum!

So I purchases 4 silver 2014 APMEX rounds from a seller and they come sealed in plastics flips. The plastic flips seem flexible like they would have PVC in them. I am assuming they came sealed from APMEX this way so I am not sure if I should take them out of leave them in the flips. Does anyone have any insight? >>

If they are sealed, it might be polyethylene bags sealed at each end. I have gotten ASEs in flips, but never ordered rounds. PCGS used to have submitters put their coins into little poly bags before putting them into the flip, but stopped that practice a number of years back saying the poly bags caused hazing. Depending on how long you plan to keep them either leave them in or put them into something else.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi everyone this is my first post on the PM side of the forum!

So I purchases 4 silver 2014 APMEX rounds from a seller and they come sealed in plastics flips. The plastic flips seem flexible like they would have PVC in them. I am assuming they came sealed from APMEX this way so I am not sure if I should take them out of leave them in the flips. Does anyone have any insight? >>

If they are sealed, it might be polyethylene bags sealed at each end. I have gotten ASEs in flips, but never ordered rounds. PCGS used to have submitters put their coins into little poly bags before putting them into the flip, but stopped that practice a number of years back saying the poly bags caused hazing. Depending on how long you plan to keep them either leave them in or put them into something else. >>

Ya I thought I saw a little hazing, so I did take them out. I have them in some traditional coins flips now. Thanks for the insight! I think that's what they were in.

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Welcome to the, "other side", coincast; don't be a stranger. We love company from the coin forum. Even if they did belittle our obsession and boot us out. We still miss you guys. image. Take care. jws
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the newer and older 10 oz bars are sonically sealed in PVC. I haven't had any problems yet with this set-up. We're talking about 999 fine silver which is fairly non-reactive to PVC so in a worse case scenario you can remove them from their plastic and dip them. Let's not forget that we are talking about bullion here whose value is tied to their melt value unlike coins whose value is tied to their grade or level of preservation. Of course, coins which are either copper or alloyed with copper should never be stored in PVC.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    What PerryHall said
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem I've ever had with PVC was with a small group of old J-M 10 oz bars that were probably from the 1980's. They were sonically sealed in PVC that had started to yellow and crack due to becoming brittle but the silver bars inside were fine with no ill effects. These bars were old when I bought them so I have no idea how they were stored by the previous owners but they may have been stored in a harsh environment such as a attic which can get quite hot in the summer but this is only speculation on my part. As an aside, my neighbor is a retired policeman and he told me that an attic is a good place to store valuables since burglars rarely go up into an attic because they are afraid that they may be trapped up there if a homeowner came home.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire