Home Sports Talk
Options

Which Running Backs WILL/WILL NOT make the HOF

In looking over the top running backs of all-time, there are a whole bunch of HOFers. But, there are a few that are not in because a) they aren't eligible or b) they haven't been elected yet. So here are the guys I'm talking about:

Tomlinson
Bettis
James
Taylor
Dillon
Dunn
Jackson
Watters
Lewis
Jones
Barber
George
Anderson
Peterson
Williams
Gore
Portis

OK, so I would say it is a slam dunk that LT gets in probably first ballot. I think it is a safe assumption that Jerome Bettis will eventually get in at some point (or maybe it isn't such a safe assumption, since Tim Brown is still waiting to get in). But what about the rest of the guys? Adrian Peterson is already over 10,000 yards and it seems that he's been so dominant that he's getting really close to the LT range of being a slam dunk. I'd say that Ricky Williams, Clinton Portis, Tiki Barber, Eddie George, Jamal Lewis, and Thomas Jones were just never so dominant over any stretch of time that they would be seriously considered. Frank Gore is close. Maybe another couple of solid years? Maybe a dominant playoff run might put him over the top? Ricky Watters was there. His personality might be what is keeping him out. Or am I overrating him? Fred Taylor, Warrick Dunn, Corey Dillon, and Steven Jackson all had excellent careers (with Jackson near the end) and rank in the all-time top twenty of NFL rushers. Have any of them done enough? What about the Edge? He led the league in rushing twice and is currently #11 all-time in rushing. Is that enough? His numbers say yes, but somehow when I think of him I don't feel it. What do you think? And what about Ottis Anderson? While he has been passed over numerous times, it seems like what he did at the time he did it should be enough to get him in. Any chance he sneaks in on a senior ballot, or do all of the gaudy numbers by the more recent backs make his chances nil? Any chance any of the other guys that are lower on the all-time list get in (Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, etc.)? Let me hear what you think.
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Tomlinson yes
    Bettis yes
    James maybe
    Taylor no
    Dillon no
    Dunn no
    Jackson no
    Watters maybe
    Lewis no
    Jones no
    Barber no
    George maybe
    Anderson no
    Peterson yes
    Williams no
    Gore maybe
    Portis no
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    The above but I think Fred Taylor deserves a shot not based purely on numbers but for almost single handedly being a face of a franchise an all around good person and 10,000+ rushing yards
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomlinson and Bettis as of now

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Peterson is as much, if not more so, a greater lock than Bettis already.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Peterson and Gore ,Thomlinson.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    This is a great post. I tend to collect cards by player, and RBs are some of my favorites. Here is my take:

Tomlinson definitely
    Bettis yes
    James no, for reasons you cited. He has some good numbers, but not an overwhelming amount. I just dont feel it with him, same as you.
    Taylor maybe some day, but not for a long time
    Dillon no
    Dunn no -- Hall of Very Good, as Peter King would say, but not HOF.
    Jackson probably not, unless he surprises and adds another 2,000+ yards total before he's done.
    Watters -- he should be. I think you are right, maybe his personality keeps him out. Maybe one day as a "senior" entry. I think he had a great career.
    Lewis no
    Jones no -- had his moments, but not enough of them.
    Barber -- no way. Not even his being in the NY market will help him, IMO.
    George maybe, kind of like a Fred Taylor
    Anderson -- probably not, but maybe a "senior" selection some day.
    Peterson -- practically a lock. The modern day Walter Payton, to me.
    Williams no
    Gore probably not, but maybe I am underestimating his achievements.
    Portis no

I wonder if the pass-happy nature of today's NFL will allow some of those borderline guys like Eddie George and Fred Taylor to get in down the road. Maybe in hindsight, their achievements will seem larger than they currently do, if we see fewer and fewer "feature backs" for a long time.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I think LMM has pretty much nailed it, although I would make Gore a "no"....as far as the "maybes" go, I think Watters has the best chance.
  • Options

<< <i>I think LMM has pretty much nailed it, although I would make Gore a "no"....as far as the "maybes" go, I think Watters has the best chance. >>

Funny you say that about Gore. I almost did put down "no" for him but I'm banking on him having 2 or 3 more productive seasons to pad his stats.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if the pass-happy nature of today's NFL will allow some of those borderline guys like Eddie George and Fred Taylor to get in down the road. Maybe in hindsight, their achievements will seem larger than they currently do, if we see fewer and fewer "feature backs" for a long time. >>

I think this has already happened. A guy like Ken Willard (for example) retired as one of the top ten rushers of all-time. He was consistently one of the NFL's leading rushers, but never at the top. Then, offense exploded. A 1,000 yard season was suddenly not that big a deal. So, a guy like Willard looks like a mediocre back (which he certainly was not). If a back in today's NFL put up Ken Willard numbers, they'd barely get drafted for a fantasy team, much less become a star. If the league goes to an 18 game schedule, the numbers might go up even more. Then, guys that retired with 10,000 yards will just be guys like Ken Willard is now.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I think Tomlinson and Peterson are the locks of that list- even if Peterson pulled a Sanders, and quit.

Of all the others, I think George is most likely. Gore, would have to have a few more productive years- I don't know how many he can have with the style of football the West plays in now.
  • Options
    corncobbcorncobb Posts: 516
    Other than Peterson

None of the above
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if the pass-happy nature of today's NFL will allow some of those borderline guys like Eddie George and Fred Taylor to get in down the road. Maybe in hindsight, their achievements will seem larger than they currently do, if we see fewer and fewer "feature backs" for a long time. >>

I think this has already happened. A guy like Ken Willard (for example) retired as one of the top ten rushers of all-time. He was consistently one of the NFL's leading rushers, but never at the top. Then, offense exploded. A 1,000 yard season was suddenly not that big a deal. So, a guy like Willard looks like a mediocre back (which he certainly was not). If a back in today's NFL put up Ken Willard numbers, they'd barely get drafted for a fantasy team, much less become a star. If the league goes to an 18 game schedule, the numbers might go up even more. Then, guys that retired with 10,000 yards will just be guys like Ken Willard is now. >>

That's a good point about number of games per season. When the league went from 14 regular season games to 16, getting 1,000 yards in a season wasn't as big of a deal anymore. Now it seems the threshold for a big season is about 1,200 yards. Then what will it be if (or maybe, when) they go to 18 regular season games, 1,400 yards?

At that point, it would seem the best hope for a lot of those 10,000 yard rushers will be getting picked in the senior selection process.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I'll say LT, The Bus, AP, and Gore

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally dont think LT should get in, the guy just disapeared during playoff games and was a huge crybaby.

• Options
    corncobbcorncobb Posts: 516

<< <i>I personally dont think LT should get in, the guy just disapeared during playoff games and was a huge crybaby. >>

+1 Lots of cosmetic yards, but never a serious threat to carry a team to a Chamionship.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LT will get in, I'd be very surprised if he didn't.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    You must be bored if you are coming up with reasons LT won't get in. It's a done deal. All Day is a lock too. He needs to really mess up to avoid the hall at this point.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    LT, Bettis, and AP. That's it from that list.

The rest had great careers, but not HOF careers IMO.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    Tomlinson,Easy
    Bettis, Yes
    James ,No
    Taylor,No
    Dillon,No
    Dunn,No
    Steven Jackson
    Watters, No
    Jamal Lewis No
    Jones ?
    Tiki Barber, No, shoulda stayed a few more years
    Eddie George, No but he's a Heisman winner so it doesn't matter
    Otis Anderson?, No
    Adrian Peterson, No question
    Williams No
    Frank Gore,Not yet
    Clinton Portis, No
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I personally dont think LT should get in, the guy just disapeared during playoff games and was a huge crybaby. >>

I agree, but he will.

These 3 are locks
    Tomlinson
    Bettis
    Peterson

Its been mentioned, the pass happy league is gonna make any running back with decent stats a contender for the hall.
    I dont like it, but it is what it isimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    GONEBATSGONEBATS Posts: 102
    3 Slam Dunks!
    Tomlinson
    Peterson
    Bettis

Ottis Anderson belongs and has the Stats! SB MVP does not hurt! Senior nominee in the next decade?
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I agree with most that LT, AP, and probably eventually Bettis will get in. But one guy I would not have even thought of being up on this list is Warrick Dunn. He's not a HOFer, but I was really surprised he was over 10,000 yards. Not somebody I think of when I think of all-time RBs.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with most that LT, AP, and probably eventually Bettis will get in. But one guy I would not have even thought of being up on this list is Warrick Dunn. He's not a HOFer, but I was really surprised he was over 10,000 yards. Not somebody I think of when I think of all-time RBs. >>

I lived in Tampa when he played for the Bucs and he could be a very dynamic player when he was at his best. But, he's another I'd put in the Hall of Very Good, not the HOF.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with most that LT, AP, and probably eventually Bettis will get in. But one guy I would not have even thought of being up on this list is Warrick Dunn. He's not a HOFer, but I was really surprised he was over 10,000 yards. Not somebody I think of when I think of all-time RBs. >>

I lived in Tampa when he played for the Bucs and he could be a very dynamic player when he was at his best. But, he's another I'd put in the Hall of Very Good, not the HOF. >>

Not to mention a super nice guy with a great heart.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Two locks in my opinion:

LT
    Peterson

The rest are very, very good to great RB's, but none jump off the page as HOF'ers.

Then again all would make the HOF down the road if the same criteria is used to put guys like Floyd Little and
    other position players in like Charlie Sanders at TE.
  • Options
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Tomlinson - Lock
    Bettis His personality not his stats will get him in. When he gets in he will have the 2nd lowest avg per carry of any HOF. He was just forced fed the ball.
    James - All Decade team won't be enough for him. What really hurts him is the year he left Indy they won it all without him
    Taylor - nope
    Dillon - nope
    Dunn - negative
    Jackson - not a shot
    Watters - If he acted like Bettis he would have been in a decade ago
    Lewis - nope
    Jones - not even close
    Barber - quit too early
    George - see Bettis comments above on stats. 3.6 yds per carry. EWWWW
    Anderson - sadly even the senior committee cant get him in
    Peterson - More of a lock than LT
    Williams - nope
    Gore - nope, always the step below greatness every year.
    Portis - Nope
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I posted this about a year ago. Since then Jerome Bettis has been selected for the HOF. Most believed Peterson was a lock for the HOF. What about now? What if he never plays again? If he does play, does his legacy keep him out?
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I posted this about a year ago. Since then Jerome Bettis has been selected for the HOF. Most believed Peterson was a lock for the HOF. What about now? What if he never plays again? If he does play, does his legacy keep him out? >>

Nothing has changed for me. He is still a hall of famer.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Not a shred of love for Roger Craig? Didn't even make the list. He's on the ballot, though only a few more tries...

He totaled over 13k from scrimmage (rush+rec) and averaged over 4yd/carry for career. First 1000/1000 player. 73 TDs. 3x SB Champ. 4 time ProBowl. AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year (88), UPI NFC Player of the Year (88), and one of the few members of the All-Decade team not yet enshrined.

I'm the furthest thing from a 49ers fan, but I hope he gets in alongside his teammates, as he was an integral part of a stellar offense.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Bettis..."his personality not his stats will get him in" When he retired he was 4th or 5th on the all time rushing list and a Super Bowl trophy. Those two must count for something.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    I think Peterson and Bettis should be HOF'ers

I know Im going to get flak for this but Im against LT getting inducted, the guy litterally disapeared every time the Bolts made the playoffs!
  • Options

<< <i>Bettis..."his personality not his stats will get him in" When he retired he was 4th or 5th on the all time rushing list and a Super Bowl trophy. Those two must count for something. >>

I still stand by this statement. Bettis is overrated just like Floyd Little is. If he deserved enshrinement it should have been a huge wait like Tim Brown.
  • Options
    I want to add Marshawn Lynch as a future HOF'er. Plays another two years he is a lock.

Regular season

8700 rush yards 4.3 ave
    80 Td Rush/rec
    1900 rec yards

10600 total yards rush/rec
    Plus great blocker.

Playoffs

10 games
    917 rush yards 4.9 ave
    112 rec yards
    9 td's ( should have been 10)
    1030 total yards

And always comes up hudge in big games! No RB in the league is as fun to watch.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bettis..."his personality not his stats will get him in" When he retired he was 4th or 5th on the all time rushing list and a Super Bowl trophy. Those two must count for something. >>

The guy is 201st all-time in yards per carry, never topping 5 yards in a single season, finishing at 3.9. He was good, a workhorse, but I wouldn't say great.
  • Options

<< <i>I want to add Marshawn Lynch as a future HOF'er. Plays another two years he is a lock.

Regular season

8700 rush yards 4.3 ave
    80 Td Rush/rec
    1900 rec yards

10600 total yards rush/rec
    Plus great blocker.

Playoffs

10 games
    917 rush yards 4.9 ave
    112 rec yards
    9 td's ( should have been 10)
    1030 total yards

And always comes up hudge in big games! No RB in the league is as fun to watch. >>

He doesnt have the Rushing yards just yet, plus this moron is talking crazy AGAIN about walking away. If he walks-which I highly doubt then no chance, if he decides to act somewhat normal and play another few years and is productive then he should get in at some point. Either way definately a great RB to watch and one of the toughest to get down..
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Most believed Peterson was a lock for the HOF. What about now? What if he never plays again? If he does play, does his legacy keep him out? >>

He will play. If he has two or three more very good to great seasons, he will get consideration for best of all time. I think his legacy will fade as long as he doesn't do anything else incredibly stupid.

I think he should honor his contract and play for the Vikings, but who knows what this guy will do. He doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>I know Im going to get flak for this but Im against LT getting inducted, the guy litterally disapeared every time the Bolts made the playoffs! >>

But was that him underperforming or the defense simply keying against him, figuring the passing game wouldn't hurt them? I'm going to say it was the latter.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I know Im going to get flak for this but Im against LT getting inducted, the guy litterally disapeared every time the Bolts made the playoffs! >>

But was that him underperforming or the defense simply keying against him, figuring the passing game wouldn't hurt them? I'm going to say it was the latter. >>

Well how many games did he just stand on the sideline in full uniform with some type of injury? He didnt even play much and when he did his numbers were nothing compared to his regular season, I will say it was a combination of injury, underperforming and defenses but the bottom line is he didnt do much regardless and I have a hard time calling him a HOF'er, but I guess players are not judged by playoff numbers so he will probably get in as His regular Season numbers are great
  • Options
    Tomlinson is lock for the HOF. First ballot is my guess. Being a Patriot fan Perkdog has those playoff games etched in his head. You have to remember back in '07 Tomlinson got hurt in the Colts playoff game prior to the AFC Championship against the Patriots. The guy mashed up his knee something nasty the week before and could not recover. If you remember those two carries he had he was tentative to a fault and he needed to come out. I remember the announcers calling him out and soft. That was crap in my opinion. The image of him sitting on the bench is in every football fans memory, which sucks for him.

In 2008 he tore his groin the week before the wildcard playoffs. He played a bit in that game which he scored a TD but sat out the second half and did not play against the Steelers in the next round that SD lost. Again, he was hurt. There is a patter forming here ;-)

In 2008 and 2009 his play was starting to decline and he was getting hurt more and more which led to lesser carries in the regular season. And his O-line in 2009 was screwed with constant injuries. So, you can't put all of the blame for his crap 2009 playoff game against the Jets. To the best of my knowledge he was at full strength this game and played like crap.

In 2010 he joined the Jets and it was known he was going to split time so his numbers of course dropped but against the Colts and Patriots I thought he played well even though he had less carries than Shonn Greene. He was the guy out of the backfield for screens and scored against the Patriots.

Why do I know all of this, because I signed him to a lifetime contract in my Fantasy league his 2nd year in the league and we run into the playoffs for an added bonus payout. I did need a little help from Profootballreference.com

Long story short, Tomlinson is a lock for the HOF and I am guessing a first ballot guy.
  • Options

<< <i>Tomlinson is lock for the HOF. First ballot is my guess. Being a Patriot fan Perkdog has those playoff games etched in his head. You have to remember back in '07 Tomlinson got hurt in the Colts playoff game prior to the AFC Championship against the Patriots. The guy mashed up his knee something nasty the week before and could not recover. If you remember those two carries he had he was tentative to a fault and he needed to come out. I remember the announcers calling him out and soft. That was crap in my opinion. The image of him sitting on the bench is in every football fans memory, which sucks for him.

In 2008 he tore his groin the week before the wildcard playoffs. He played a bit in that game which he scored a TD but sat out the second half and did not play against the Steelers in the next round that SD lost. Again, he was hurt. There is a patter forming here ;-)

In 2008 and 2009 his play was starting to decline and he was getting hurt more and more which led to lesser carries in the regular season. And his O-line in 2009 was screwed with constant injuries. So, you can't put all of the blame for his crap 2009 playoff game against the Jets. To the best of my knowledge he was at full strength this game and played like crap.

In 2010 he joined the Jets and it was known he was going to split time so his numbers of course dropped but against the Colts and Patriots I thought he played well even though he had less carries than Shonn Greene. He was the guy out of the backfield for screens and scored against the Patriots.

Why do I know all of this, because I signed him to a lifetime contract in my Fantasy league his 2nd year in the league and we run into the playoffs for an added bonus payout. I did need a little help from Profootballreference.com

Long story short, Tomlinson is a lock for the HOF and I am guessing a first ballot guy. >>

Good points, again I know his regular season numbers almost lock him in for a first ballot.
  • Options
    Troy has obviously followed him more closely than I have, and I'm a fan, too. Good analysis. Also, it is not "supposed" to matter, but I have to think LT's exposure in New York with the Jets and also on TV now helps his case.