Home Sports Talk

Would Michael Sam have been better off undrafted?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
The non sporting world does not seem to grasp that being drafted 249th out of 256 spots is far from a contract guaranty.

As a free agent, Sam would have a much broader selection of teams to sign with.

Comments

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He'll get a contract
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember. Is he a tight end or wide receiver?
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't remember. Is he a tight end or wide receiver? >>

Not sure which position he will play for the Rams.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe San Francisco passed on him.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Do you guys all play offensive line for the Dolphins?
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<He'll get a contract>>>

There's only a handful of teams where Sam could even have a chance, and St. Louis is one of them, but I'm not so sure he makes the final cut. Based on most pre-draft reports, his talent is questionable at best. He won the DPOY based on his sack numbers alone, which were accrued mostly in 3 games vs. lesser competition. He was only on the field for something like 60-70% of the defensive snaps. If he was so great, he should never leave the field. Take that award away from him, and there's a good chance he'd be an undrafted free agent right now.

<<As a free agent, Sam would have a much broader selection of teams to sign with.>>

He ended up in about as good a situation as he could hope for. The only better situation would be New England, where Belichick would diffuse the distraction very quickly, like he did with Tebow. But if Belichick thought he had any talent, he would have drafted him at the end of the 6th round.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you guys all play offensive line for the Dolphins? >>

Seriously.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Do you guys all play offensive line for the Dolphins? >>

Seriously. >>

+1
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

Not sure which position he will play for the Rams. >>

I think that was a rhetorical question on Matt's part!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not sure which position he will play for the Rams. >>

I think that was a rhetorical question on Matt's part! >>

It was also a rhetorical answer!
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious... What happens if/when he doesn't make the cut? You know that every talking head on the planet will be on TV spewing BS about discrimination.

Call me a cynic or whatever, but I think he was/is following the Jason Collins model of trying to get a job with mediocre skills.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

<< <i>Curious... What happens if/when he doesn't make the cut? You know that every talking head on the planet will be on TV spewing BS about discrimination.

Call me a cynic or whatever, but I think he was/is following the Jason Collins model of trying to get a job with mediocre skills. >>

....and it worked. He will likely make the cut and perhaps be a decent professional player. If not, St Louis can prepare for boycotts, loss of advertising and endless nights of grilling by CNN.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Leonard Little? Trust me, if Sam can play, there wasn't a better fit.
    <<<Call me a cynic or whatever, but I think he was/is following the Jason Collins model of trying to get a job with mediocre skills.>>>

Skill-wise, the comparison to Collins is valid. The difference is Collins didn't conceal lining up a TV show prior to being drafted. Sam is not starting off on the right foot in terms of endearing himself to his teammates. He set himself back big-time with this Oprah show.

And if anyone thinks another team will pick up Sam if he gets cut, think again. He went roughly 10 picks from the end of the draft. Every team passed on him multiple times.