Home Sports Talk
Options

Your first baseball game....

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
How well do you remember it?

Just joined the Cub Scouts and at 8, went to a Tigers game with my father and brother as well as the rest of the den. 1964 I suppose.

Was not much of a baseball fan until that day, but was rabid after that. Walking through the corridor and seeing the bright green diamond for the first time is etched in my memory. Can't tell you the roster or the opposing team that day, but I recall asking my older brother which guy was Willie Mays. He tried to explain the American/National league thing to me, but I felt a bit cheated nonetheless.

Hot Dogs were exceptional and probably about a quarter a piece.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told I was going to the movies for my birthday. We got on a bus and headed down Michigan Ave. As a seven year old this was cool enough in it's own right. Twenty minutes later I saw it and probably wet myself. Instead of the movie theater I saw The Tiger Stadium fast approaching. It might as well have been Oz. My parents said I was shaking. I will NEVER forgot how green the grass was when I viewed the field from the tunnel for the first time. It was a shade of green that only lives in the memories of little boys that lived for the game. My parents said I ate one of everything. The Tigers won 5-1 over the Angels with McClain pitching a complete game four hitter with 12 K's. I scored the game in my program. MJ

One month later the 1967 riots broke out and that has forever changed the city of Detroit. We moved to the burbs after that.

Side note-----------The 1967 Detroit Tiger payroll. ( Today Miggy makes 185K a game or so)

Eddie Mathews $57,500
    Al Kaline $54,000
    Norm Cash $43,000
    Earl Wilson $34,000
    Denny McLain $27,000
    Dave Wickersham $24,500
    Jim Landis $22,500
    Fred Gladding $18,000
    Jim Northrup $18,000
    Gates Brown $16,000
    Bill Heath $13,000.00
    Lenny Green $10,000
    Jim Price $7,500
    Pat Dobson $6,500
    John Hiller $6,000

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Most of the 1960's players had off season jobs.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trip to Washington, D.C. 1968. Baltimore vs. Washington. I still have the program around here somewhere.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Spring training at Al Lang stadium in 1983 , Saint Petersburg Fl. For those not familiar with the stadium, it was shared by the Cardinals and Mets.

Got a foul ball hit by Wally Backman. Good times!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1964 bus trip, the METS at Shea Stadium. After the game there was time to go across the way to the Worlds Fair.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    May 22nd 1960 Briggs Stadium Detroit DH against the Redsox and had the fortune of seeing Ted Williams play.
    Tigers won both games WP Bunning Game 1,Aguirre Game 2 relieved by Burnside.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool thing about Al Lang stadium back then was the fact that it was on the water. Just a two lane street separated it from Tampa Bay. It wasn't a very big stadium so home runs were very attainable. The home run balls hit to left field would skip across the road right into the water where guys in john boats and people jumping off the seawall were waiting lol. It was loads of fun to watch as a little kid.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was not my first game, however, I remember it quite well... Senators v. Angels July 1969.

Anyone remember why this could be considered special?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.