Options

When you see a penny on the ground.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    always
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a co-worker who had a cold a few years ago. She owed me a quarter from some change I gave her for the vending machine. I jokingly told her I didn't want the quarter because she had a cold and I didn't want to get sick. She decided to set me up. She put a quarter on the floor in my office before I came in to work the next day. She has the cubicle right next to me. When I come in to work, I bend over and pick up the coin. The whole office area erupts in laughter and she is squealing like a little kid at an amusement park. I ask, "what's so funny?" She says, that's my quarter you wouldn't take. I put it on the floor because I knew you would pick it up and we all had a bet on whether you would or not. And she says, "by the way, I coughed all over it!!!!"

I found it hilarious. Anyone who works in cramped office space should be able to relate. Everyday seems to be another prank or joke going on. It's the stuff of Dilbert or the T.V. show The Office.

So yes, I pick up change. Even a lowly cent. The real question is, what would it take for you to fish one out of a urinal? memorial, wheat, indian, 09 S VDB, 1877 ??????
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    I used to do it because I was frugal.

These days I don't bother unless it is 5c or higher. My knees and back aren't as good as they used to be. . .
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I see one, I run over and put my foot on it. Next, I look both directions.
    If no cars are coming I'll grab it and get the heck out of the road.
    If cars are coming I'll wave my arms and stop traffic before bending over.
    Have only been hit twice and caused one wreck. I'll be rich someday.
    Larry

• Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did a little math......
    If it takes 5 seconds to pick it up, that's equal to a wage of $7.20 per hour. If you make more than that, it's literally not worth your time.
    image >>

I did a little math to and if I'm correct that's an additional $7.20 per hour that you are making if you pick that penny up!
  • Options
    I will pick up cents (found a few wheat backs), nickels, dimes(found silver), quarters, $1 bills, $5 bills, $10 bills, $20 bills, $100 bills. Since moving to NYC, been here 7.5 years, I've found over $2500.00 on the streets of NYC. And this doesn't include the jewelry I've found image
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    My roommate and I have a daily competition who can find the most... I usually win image $0.14 today
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did a little math......
    If it takes 5 seconds to pick it up, that's equal to a wage of $7.20 per hour. If you make more than that, it's literally not worth your time.
    image >>

I did a little math to and if I'm correct that's an additional $7.20 per hour that you are making if you pick that penny up! >>

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    If the people asking for money for bus fare at the minimart aren't picking them up, well...
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never refuse free money of any kind. I thank you guys that just leave them there for me.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% of the time I pick them up. I always check the dates. My wife now will pickup any coin she see's and brings it home for me to check. She's a manager at a walmart and now she even checks the coinstars for me. image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I get up in my years, I've let a few pass by. The knees, the reaching down is becoming quite a painful stretch anymore. But today while out, I stopped the truck in the second lane just to grab a large bag of aluminum cans off the road. My reward turned out to be a hydraulic line to the slave cylinder had popped out. I immediately noticed the clutch pedal was hard as a rock and the truck wasn't going anywhere. There was no way to depress it and I know not to as I could mess up the master cylinder. Luckily, I was on a slight incline and was able to let the truck roll back into the first lane next to the curb. And after a second attempt with a screwdriver, I was able to pop the hydraulic line plug back in. It was one thing I haven't replaced when I replaced the clutch set and transmission and new oil gasket. At 56, I hated getting up and down during that whole process but did all that work for less than $1000. It was a great learning experience but it looks like I'm not finished with it.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reeled in a dime a few days ago

Had it been a penny, I would have done the same

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    I pick every coin up I find. One of the Meijer (sort of like a Wal-Mart for those that don't know) still has a 1cent horse ride by the check outs. When I remember, I'll bring a handful of pennies and set them on the change receiver or on the window ledge by the ride.

Can't remember the last time I carried more than $20 in my pocket, as 99% of all my transactions are through my debit card. Really don't have any use for pennies, except to give them away.

I'll keep everything else though!
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it's heads-up I pick it up if no one is looking image >>

If it's tails, I turn it over for the next guy.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If it's heads-up I pick it up if no one is looking image >>

If it's tails, I turn it over for the next guy. >>

Now that's a team player right there!
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Risk of suffering an injury is too great... It's simply not worth the risk to pick up cents or nickels. >>

Wow!! I hadn't even considered this.
    You might want to look into becoming an actuary! Well paid, last I checked- which was decades ago!
    You're likely correct though. Risk of back injury if poor body mechanics are utilized, could be significant!
    Bend at the knees! DON'T twist and bend!!!
    Risk of orthostatic hypotension is significant too! syncope (fainting) are a risk...

Love Bryce's take on this as well! :-)

I'm STILL going to pick em up!
    I survived surfing 9 days in Nicaragua during what some said was the biggest swell in four years! Just a couple of weeks ago. I'm in my upper 50's...)
    I really didn't think I'd survive this trip. My companions were getting injured daily... One requiring surgery, three need to be stitched up.
    I'm willing to take my chances on the pennies in the street. Just be cafeful about body mechanics and aware of the surroundings.
    Mitigate the risk with good judgement.... Got me through my latest surfing sagaimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Risk of suffering an injury is too great... It's simply not worth the risk to pick up cents or nickels. >>

Wow!! I hadn't even considered this.
    You might want to look into becoming an actuary! Well paid, last I checked- which was decades ago!
    You're likely correct though. Risk of back injury if poor body mechanics are utilized, could be significant!
    Bend at the knees! DON'T twist and bend!!!
    Risk of orthostatic hypotension is significant too! syncope (fainting) are a risk...

Love Bryce's take on this as well! :-)

I'm STILL going to pick em up!
    I survived surfing 9 days in Nicaragua during what some said was the biggest swell in four years! Just a couple of weeks ago. I'm in my upper 50's...)
    I really didn't think I'd survive this trip. My companions were getting injured daily... One requiring surgery, three need to be stitched up.
    I'm willing to take my chances on the pennies in the street. Just be cafeful about body mechanics and aware of the surroundings.
    Mitigate the risk with good judgement.... Got me through my latest surfing sagaimage >>

I always considered that bending over to pick up a cent to be an opportunity to get a little bit of exercise. Of course you can always use the risk of injury as an excuse to not exercise.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My reasons for picking it up:

1. Free money
    2. Check the date

I never leave money on the ground. I have a coin jar at thome and at the end of the year it puts quite a dent in my dental insurance. The amount I collect includes the change I find everytime I go to the carwash and search the ground around the vacuum cleaners. People just pull their floormats out and everything lands on the ground. I'll pick up around $20 per month in discarded or forgotten change. My dental insurance is $35.00.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes to both.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not both?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how I wound up in England....
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how I wound up in England.... >>

That's one of my pet peeves---they're cents and not pennies although I've gotten used to people calling them pennies a long time ago.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a kid I would notice if there was one cent on the ground there were more coins nearby. This especially true in metal detectingimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I first look to see if it a double die.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Who knows where that thing has been or what the hands that dropped it on the ground were doing before dropping it? image
    Edited to add: Now if it was a sawbuck or a $20. bill, I'd take the risk, but spend it as soon as possible. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder how I wound up in England.... >>

People from Europe aren't allowed to post here? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file