Home Sports Talk
Options

Kevin Durant

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you have yet to see this, there are far worse things you can do with 27 minutes of your day. I have always liked KD, but now he's one of my all-time favorite athletes. A total stud who gets it.

MVP acceptance speech

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Classy player.
  • Options
    I know his birthday.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have yet to see this, there are far worse things you can do with 27 minutes of your day. I have always liked KD, but now he's one of my all-time favorite athletes. A total stud who gets it.

MVP acceptance speech >>

This is the type of humility, class and gratitude that I wish every pro athlete could exhibit.

For me things got real once he started talking about his mother.

The early days of my childhood were not totally unlike his. After divorcing my father, we lived at first still in CA with my great aunt (my grandmother had died in a car crash), then moved back to IL where we briefly stayed with my aunt before getting our first basement apartment. One of the few things I remember of it was something electric sparking and smoking and the lights going out. We didn't have a lot but I can't remember going to bed hungry though I'm reasonably sure Mom probably did more than once. Family hand me downs, garage sales, Goodwill and the Salvation Army store were where my clothes and hers came from as a rule.

I remember her once taking me to this small snack bar attached to a local department store (a rare event); she told me later in life that it was to celebrate her first paycheck from her job at a local pottery business. As a petulant 4 year old kid often does, I had apparently pouted over not being able to get something in the store and barely touched the sandwich she did get me. I learned later on that the reason I couldn't get anything that day was not because she didn't want me to have it, but because she barely had enough money to pay for the meal as it was and still have bus fare to get us home. That was what was left of that first paycheck after paying bills and buying a few necessities at the store.

There's a lot more to her story, but- suffice to say that I could relate with much of what KD said.

Do me a favor and do something nice for your Mom this Sunday. I know I wish I still could.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    What a GREAT speech ... straight from the heart. For all the kids that look up to KD ... FANTASTIC decision!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only hope his eloquent and heartfelt speech translates into/is rewarded by an NBA championship.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can only hope his eloquent and heartfelt speech translates into/is rewarded by an NBA championship. >>

Agreed. What class, and humility.