Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Census poll: If you own a 1909 Matte Proof Lincoln cent>

BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
Please post here which Die type your coin is, grade of your coin(s) and pictures if you wish.

The 2 die types are very easy to identify. Look at the images below and compare to your coin. Thanks for your participation.

1909 Matte Proof Cent Die 1-Obverse Die lines near Lincoln's nose

1909 Matte Proof Cent Die 2-Obverse Die lines out from Lincoln's eye
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PR 64 R&B, Die #1

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS PR65RB Die 1

Also recently sold an NGC PR65RB and an ANACS PR63RB, both were Die 1 as well
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR66RD, Die 1

There are more pics on the diagnostic threads:

MPL Diagnostic Threads
    Doug
  • perfectstrikeperfectstrike Posts: 677 ✭✭
    64BN and Die #1
    David
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

In March of this year. Eagle Eye R.C had a 1909 MPL 1C Die 2 in a PCGS "rattle holder" graded PR65RD.

He sold it for $6,500
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    66RB and 66BN, both Die #1.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a rattler 65RB but I don't own a glass so I cannot tell you which it is...
    1909 MPL Die 2 coin's can also be identified from the reverse. See images below.

Only the Die2 example will have the strong doubling on the "TE" of United,

Only the Die2 example will have the slanted line at the opening of the letter "C" in Cent.

Since the discovery of the 1909 MPL Die2 in 2010.

I have been able to locate and purchase only 4 of these coins.

1909 MPL Die2 in PCGS PR65RB (sold to another dealer)

1909 MPL Die2 in PCGS PR65RD (sold to another dealer)

1909 MPL Die2 in PCGS PR66RB (still own this)

1909 MPL Die2 in PCGS PR66+RD (still own this)
  • FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    A few of die 1's

Two of die 2's

Carl
    Collector

Hi Carl,

Thanks for responding.

Would you mind telling us what the grades of your coins are?

Thanks
  • FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Wagner

The first one is a PCGS 65 RB.

The other is a PCGS 63 BN and it is a very late strike.

Carl
    Collector
  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Any type of premium associated with Die 2 vs Die 1?
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!

<< <i>Any type of premium associated with Die 2 vs Die 1? >>

Excellent question.

I believe the Die2 coins had about 1/10th the mintage of Die1. So the coin is 10X rarer.

In my 4 years of handling this coin. I have seen it command at least twice the price of a Die1 coin.

Pricing factor's, such as toning, eye appeal, etc. will come into play for both coins.

Here is one on ebay with a Die #1 easily seen

1909 MPL

AND a die #2!

Text1909 #2
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

<< <i>Here is one on ebay with a Die #1 easily seen

1909 MPL

AND a die #2!

Text1909 #2 >>

WS- I believe the 2nd coin is also Die 1:

Even though the lines along the nose are not visible on the image, you can pick up two features of the coin that identify it as a Die 1 specimen.

1. On the blow-up of the obverse, you can see the die line running off the back of Lincolns coat heading up towards the "R" in liberty.

2. On the blow-up of the reverse you don't see any doubling on the "TE" of united, which is a must for Die2
    I thought I saw scratches, but hey.

There is a third one being sold on ebay by Coast to Coast. I looked up the Cert number and it was sold by Heritage last year. Unfortunately the Heritage photo is poor quality so you can not see which one it is.

WS

<< <i>I thought I saw scratches, but hey.

There is a third one being sold on ebay by Coast to Coast. I looked up the Cert number and it was sold by Heritage last year. Unfortunately the Heritage photo is poor quality so you can not see which one it is.

WS >>

I made myself a mental note to check out C to C 1909 when and if I see him at an upcoming show. I think he has two 09's in stock?

Went to C to C website and found the 1909 MPL Graded PCGS PR65RB.
    Looks like it might have some nice color.

I was able to see the die line coming from the back of Lincoln's coat,
    heading for the "R" in LIBERTY. The coin is also a Die 1.