Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG (to be), 1818 O.114a CBH ***GRADE POSTED***

I'm split between two grades on this one. It's going to PCGS shortly, but I'd like to get some more valuable opinions first image

imageimage
Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    35 or 40.

nice
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45, maybe 50.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toughie. My initial impression was 40, but those stars are hammered. I could see 35, 40 or 45. I would only think 50 if the variety is known for strike issues and if the grader knows that.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 45, maybe 50 on a good day?
  • Options
    XF-40, cleaned/altered surfaces
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    AU50
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>XF-40, cleaned/altered surfaces >>

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin should grade EF-40 Details. It appears to have been cleaned a while ago and is retoning. PCGS is schizophrenic when grading CBHs, so it could come back anything from VF-30 Details to AU-50.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    35-40 would be my guess.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF-Details they don't give numbers on the details.
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45-50....if they like the surfaces. Looks like its missing some skin, even with all the dirt in the crannies.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as a 45. PCGS will probably say 40.
    Lance.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    AU55 details. It could get bagged or netted to 50. You'll have more luck ATS getting a big net.
  • Options
    Looking at the pic on my IPad, it looks really nice ! (It's the same with my BST stuff...image)
    My computer monitor make coins look crummy sometimes...so, I'll go with AU 53 !
  • Options
    If the pics are accurate and there are no hidden problems id say 45. But if there is more luster than in the pics, then its an AU coin.

All assuming there are no tampering issues of course.

What will PCGS actually say? no idea.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    My guess is PCGS 40. PCGS graders don't seem to much like late die states.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say you got the "valuable opinions" you asked for.
    The following opinion is not to be considered valuable. I like CBH's way more than I know about them.

At first glance I had it at 45 and after a longer look, I'm sticking with it.
    Looks to be some luster here and there?
    Old cleaning of some kind? Appears so. Don't know at what degree it becomes a deal breaker.
    Lots of dark grunge crammed in the date, around the awesome stars and within the rev. lettering.
    Nice denticles and rims.

What's your take on it? What two grades are you hung on? 45/50?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    What two grades are you hung on? 45/50? >>

Exactly image

Everyone who said it's been cleaned - you're right, it has been. However, the olive-gold patina masks most of the evidence well enough to where I think it has a fair shot at grading.

I didn't have the opportunity to examine the coin in hand before buying it. I had my suspicions from the seller's photos that it had been messed with, but the price was reasonable, so even if it turned out to be cleaned, it wasn't much of a gamble.

On the chance that it does grade, I expect XF45 or AU50. I think it's a true, low-end AU, but PC might ding it a grade for cleaning (if they're feeling generous enough not to bag it).
  • Options
    Grade just in...

I showed this coin to David Hall at the last Long Beach Coin Expo (just for kicks and giggles) and he called it a problem-free XF45 image

This probably one of the nicest XF40's I've ever seen. However, as some suspected, the obverse was ever-so lightly cleaned at one point. I guess PCGS felt a net grade was necessary. I was hoping for a 50 net down to 45, at worst.
  • Options
    Its a fine addition to your set, and congrats on it getting a straight grade. I heard PCGS has been tough lately as well....
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. -- I agree with the grade on this one also.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    Didnt notice this thread the first time around, glad to see that I agree with David Hall at 45, at least!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 was my first opinion. And still isimage
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF40 was my guess before seeing the result. Accurately graded, imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    My initial impression was also 45. But only so much can be surmised from the images re surface quality. Star points plus AU luster sans hairlines prob would've garnered her a 50 on a good day. The 40 she got sounds like a modest netting. Beats getting XF details any day!
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have thought 45...
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My impression was 45 also, but it doesn't hurt to have a coin in a holder that looks a tad undergraded image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>Bean factory time? >>

That's a thought. I never really intended on keeping the coin as I already have a nice 1818, and you know how well CAC'd coins sell. image
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, I agree with the 40
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I would spend the money on CAC.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure if I would spend the money on CAC. >>

Ditto... doesnt strike me as a coin that would cac for some reason.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file