Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

fake 1971 nolan ryan psa 9 floating around....

just wanna give a heads up on a fake 71 ryan psa 9 that is floating around. cert # 90219833.

I bought directly. got it in the mail and felt off immediately both font wise and overall feel. slid around in the holder due to lots of extra space between card and slab edges. measured and almost 1/8 inch off. then proceeded to scan it. came back w. a different cert number.

the guy I bought it from was as straight up honest as could be and refunded my money immediately. I can assure you he would not try to resell it elsewhere, but he is returning it to whom he bought it from and who knows after that....but let me repeat, (for all you sleuths) the guy I bought it from was a stand up guy and would buy from him again any day.

anyways, it can be quite a pricey card and would hate to see anyone get burned.

download redlaser app now. save yourselves the headaches...and money!

-Bob

Comments

• Options
    svtPONY95svtPONY95 Posts: 689 ✭✭
    What is this Redlaser app ?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the link to the auction:

Bum Ryan

I remember seeing it and thinking that it didn't look right.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Bob,

Thanks for bringing this to light. image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    red laser is a simple app you can download on the iphone or android. it's free and takes about 5 minutes. anyways, it's a barcode reader and it actually scans the barcodes on the label.

once you scan the card the same cert number that is on the flip should be the same on the pops up on your phone. if it isn't, stay away!

ie:

good card would be:

cert #12345678 on the flip, cert # 12345678 pops up on the phone

fake card would be:

cert #12345678 on the flip, cert # 24680100 pops up on the phone.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think this is a bad card that got past PSA or a fabricated PSA holder?
    Daniel
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Fake flip. Same look as the bad mantles etc.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Thank you all for the heads up......I am building a 71' high grade set now and I think I saw that card....the Cert number concerned me on a few cards I had been looking at because they seemed to be pretty high, etc.

I am pretty new to all of the grading, and have only been submitting for the past year or so, but I noticed that all of my certs were numerical when I get them back of course. Usually, those certs start out 23XXXXXX, i.e. 23 million plus cards graded???

The certs I saw that I questioned were numbers like 90XXXXXX, 60XXXXXX and 40XXXXXX, meaning 90,60 and 40 million. Just wondered if these Hi number certs were legit if you will. Maybe it means nothing, anyhow thanks again for the heads up.

Thanks,

Michael
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wondered if these Hi number certs were legit if you will. >>

The certs don't go in order, so there are plenty of good ones that start with "6", "7", "8", "9" and higher. image