Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How well do you know the statehood quarters?

Here is a question to see how well you know the statehood quarters.

Which 2 circulating statehood quarters have a distinction that no other statehood quarter has?

List the statehood quarters and what the distinction is.

No prize just want to see how well you know the statehood quarters.

This is just for statehood quarters that are for circulation which means no proof statehood quarters as they were not meant for circulation, no territories quarters, no ATB quarters.

I will update with the answer later today. Good luck.

Comments

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    They both share the same distinction?

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    North Carolina and South Carolina are the only two that bear the word CAROLINA.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They all share the fact that they can't even buy a cup of coffee anymore.image
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many pairings by name of state, year of admission, design elements (e.g. Wright Flyer), etc.

Are you saying this distinction is true for the 2 circulating versions, but not true for the 2 proof versions?
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>North Carolina and South Carolina are the only two that bear the word CAROLINA. >>

that doesn't make them distinct from Dakota or Virginia

Wisconsin? Hi / Lo leaf
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the North Carolina and the Ohio shown the Wright Flyer?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abalama - first coin with Braille

Hawaii - first us coin with king on it

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Rhode Island and New York were both designed by Daniel Carr.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a game of Guess what I'm thinking?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mountain on one fell off.
    The Buffalo on one was speared.
    There are extra trees on one.
    There are some with five legged horses.
  • Options
    tlake22tlake22 Posts: 299 ✭✭
    New Jersey and South Dakota. Both have Washington on Front and back
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only two have women on them

Pennsylvania and Alabama
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Iowa quarter has a resident and non-resident version. The inscription on the reverse of the resident version is "Iowa isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from here". The inscription on the reverse of the non- resident version is "Iowa isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from there". image

What do I win?
  • Options

<< <i>Is this a game of Guess what I'm thinking? >>

I think you're just guessing.image
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only two have grains on them

Arkansas (Rice) and Wisconsin (Corn)

• Options
    Which ones have bovines besides Wisconsin, Kansas and North Dakota?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alaska and Hawaii are outside the continental United states along with the other 5 states. There are 57, right ? … maybe more. I'm not sure. image
  • Options
    ckrakowskickrakowski Posts: 157 ✭✭
    What i was referring to was that only the Pennsylvania and Colorado quarters are the only ones minted in the state that are on the reverse of the quarter.

the Pennsylvania is minted in Philadelphia

the Colorado quarter is minted in Denver.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thus the proof

you could have muddied the water further with the inclusion of proof for 3

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only two bear legends in languages of indigenous people, Hawaii and Guam.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both the North Carolina and the Ohio shown the Wright Flyer? >>

Good thinking. Those quarters are actually the only two with planes of any type, as well as the only two with planes by the Wright Brothers. It's interesting to note though, that they are two different planes. The NC coin has the "Wright Flyer" and the OH coin has the "Wright Flyer 3."

My contribution is the only two with space exploration: Ohio and Florida.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like good questions that have multiple answers which can be Wright, or Wrong. And the best part is: they're modern. By golly that's the worst part, too.
  • Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭
    Well I have learned some State Quarter trivia today that's for sure. image

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the "Illinois " quarter? The only statehood Q. with two presidents on both the obverse and reverse! Illinois, my home state too. Great thread.-joey

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only two have grains on them

Arkansas (Rice) and Wisconsin (Corn) >>

South Dakota has wheat...
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    The statehood Quarters series, what a great idea at the time but why in the world did it fail with the collecting public? meaning, failed as to no real premium surge in value? Was it because it became too popular or what? When you really think of it, the government had a good idea but then again, FLOP!image

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

<< <i>How about the "Illinois " quarter? The only statehood Q. with two presidents on both the obverse and reverse! Illinois, my home state too. Great thread.-joey >>

There is only one President on each side of the Illinois coin. There are 5 [4 of which are different] on the South Dakota coin.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How about the "Illinois " quarter? The only statehood Q. with two presidents on both the obverse and reverse! Illinois, my home state too. Great thread.-joey >>

There is only one President on each side of the Illinois coin. There are 5 [4 of which are different] on the South Dakota coin. >>

Yeah, I forgot about that one! What I meant was two presidents total on the quarter. My bad forgetting of the South Dakota!image

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The statehood Quarters series, what a great idea at the time but why in the world did it fail with the collecting public? meaning, failed as to no real premium surge in value? Was it because it became too popular or what? >>

Your measurement of success with the collecting public being tied to increase in value seems flawed. I think it was successful with the collecting public if it got people looking at coins in their change and choosing to put a set together, ignoring the potential for an increase in value. The 11 years required to do so, however, probably resulted in some fatigue and loss of interest, especially among kids.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The statehood Quarters series, what a great idea at the time but why in the world did it fail with the collecting public? meaning, failed as to no real premium surge in value? Was it because it became too popular or what? When you really think of it, the government had a good idea but then again, FLOP!image >>

Really, man I guess I shouldn't have just paid $400 for an MS 64 Statehood Quarter, image

Actually the statehood quarter was a HUGE success. This programs created a whole new generation of coin collectors.

These young collectors are not in the market right now because of girls, fast cars, and the fun of being a young adult.

Many of these YN's will return when they get a little older.

The future is bright for the king of hobbies.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The statehood Quarters series, what a great idea at the time but why in the world did it fail with the collecting public? meaning, failed as to no real premium surge in value? Was it because it became too popular or what? When you really think of it, the government had a good idea but then again, FLOP!image >>

Really, man I guess I shouldn't have just paid $400 for an MS 64 Statehood Quarter, image

Actually the statehood quarter was a HUGE success. This programs created a whole new generation of coin collectors.

These young collectors are not in the market right now because of girls, fast cars, and the fun of being a young adult.

Many of these YN's will return when they get a little older.

The future is bright for the king of hobbies. >>

You are exactly correct in saying this series was a GREAT success! Generating to peak the interest of some that never collected before. Sure it was a success to that extent, but like I first stated in my original post, it hasn't become successful in value. not yet anyway, and will it ever? I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong. Esp. the "silver" statehood series. Fingers crossed.-joey

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The future is bright for the king of hobbies. >>

You are exactly correct in saying this series was a GREAT success! Generating to peak the interest of some that never collected before. Sure it was a success to that extent, but like I first stated in my original post, it hasn't become successful in value. not yet anyway, and will it ever? I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong. Esp. the "silver" statehood series. Fingers crossed.-joey >>

I think most people need a broader perspective on the potential of these coins.

In 1995 the coin market was dying and you couldn't give away a neat little col-
    lectible like a 1924-D Lincoln cent in VF. It listed for only a few dollars but most
    collectors had one as good or better leaving these accumulating in dealer stock.
    But then millions of baby boomers came flooding back into the hobby with the
    states coins in 1999. They were attracted by the quarters but they spent their
    money on things they couldn't afford when they collected as children in 1964.
    This meant there was lots of demand for all the key and semi-dates and prices
    exploded.

As the states collectors come back into the hobby they will seek first the coins
    they couldn't afford 5 or 10 years ago. They'll be looking for the varieties like
    the extra leaf WI and high grades. They will look to upgrade many of their coins
    putting pressure even on the preices of much more "common" coins like MS-64
    DE's or MS-65 non-SF WY's.

Perhaps many will want to add the proofs and/ or the silver proofs and these are
    being melted even now despite their small mintages.

There have to be hundreds of possible answers to the question. I guess I don't
    know the series as well as I thought. Part of my problem is I keep thinking of
    some of the rejected designs and it confounds the answer.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having been in the trenches when it came out, the Statehood QUarter series was a great boost to collecting.

The problem was the Territories, which made people's albums obsolete, and the America The Beautiful series. People were burnt out after the Statehoods, and needed a break.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file