Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My 1ST Canadian Token Purchase...

1870’s H. Gagnon & Company, Saint Roch, Quebec, Canada, Merchant Token, Breton-571, 27mm Diameter, Plain Edge, Thin Planchet, Copper.

Although Canadian publications have always stated these post confederation tokens had been struck in 1878 or as late as November 1879 this token was already mentioned as early as January 1, 1877 in the American Journal of Numismatics. Once considered rare as a newest discovered Canadian numismatic treasure Samuel & Henry Chapman sold a example for $4.75 in the July 1881 sale of the Marshall Lefferts collection and this token was valued at $5.00 in 1883 just a few years after having been issued. Obverse: Beaver facing right with a twig in its mouth with script “Jacques Cartier House, St Roch, Quebec”. Reverse: Script of six lines occupy the whole field – “One Cent Payable at H. Gagnon & Company, Crown Street, Saint Roch, Quebec “. The dies for this token were engraved in New York and to prevent any Canadian Customs interference or interruption were sent not to Quebec but to Saint Epiphanie a small village about a hundred and fifty miles down the river. The coins were struck there by a tinsmith named Garnet. H. Gagnon & Company was a firm which conducted a extensive retail business in dry goods and struck these tokens to their customers as an enticement for them to return. This was the only token issued as there were rumors that the government intended on interfering with any of their further issues. Among the 1,000 issued, 200 were instantly purchased by prominent Canadian coin, currency, medal, and token collector Mr. Cyrille Tessier of Quebec. Both long and short branch twig die varieties exist with one end projecting beyond the beaver’s mouth to nearly the grass. The example shown here is a short branch variety and all have soft centers and excessive die polishing lines.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice. Mine is brown unc.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My 1ST Canadian Token Purchase... >>

Bet it won't be your last.

'Tis something of a slippery slope, I believe.

But in a good way. image

I've been wanting a Red (or even RB) Unc pre-confederation token for a while, but have never seen one of the specific type I'm after.

Lovely piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadie, very cool token!
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I saw that in Jim King's case at a show a while ago - I was going to buy it, but it was gone when I went back.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice beaver.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!