Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay seller raising prices

This morning I bought a box of cards using the Buy it Now on Ebay. The seller had another box listed that I was interested in. His Buy it Nows require instant payment. When I tried to buy both Ebay wanted to charge full shipping on both auctions. I went ahead ant bought the first box and sent the seller a message about combining shipping if I bought the second one. He responded that he would give a break on the shipping if I bought the second box so I went to Ebay to buy the second one. Keep in mind that these are cheap boxes. The one I bought was $25 and the second one was listed for $25 obo. When I went to buy the second box the seller had raised the price to $65 obo. I politely sent an email telling him that since he raised the price that I would pass and he could ship the box that I already paid for.
James

Comments

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    You sound surprised.

I'd avoid this particular seller in the future.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a jerk move by that seller. I have heard of this happening on other threads before (a seller raising prices after an inquiry) but I haven't had it ever happen to me (knocking on wood now). I don't understand what his thinking is in this situation. If he would have raised the price $5 or $10 I could see that (it would still be a jerk move to do that but it would be a reasonable amount where you might still buy the product.) But to nearly double the price makes it seem like he was intentionally trying to not sell you the second box.

I actually had the same situation this weekend where I wanted to buy two BIN cards from the same seller and inquired about combined shipping. My situation worked out as the seller sent an invoice that I was able to pay with combined shipping. This is eBay's fault as they should just take the listing down once you have agreed to a BIN or BO. It is stupid that they will let someone else buy the card from under you while you are waiting for an invoice from a seller.

Who was your seller. If you don't mind outing him I will look to avoid giving the jerk any of my business.
    Steve
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    This ids completely asinine on the sellers part.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    how do you know he didn't raise it to make sure no one else hit it before you got to it?
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how do you know he didn't raise it to make sure no one else hit it before you got to it? >>

If that were the case the seller should have notified the buyer he was doing it. I probably would have asked the seller what his deal was with raising the price if I were excited about that second box, just in case he were trying to ward off other potential buyers.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If that were the case the seller should have notified the buyer he was doing it. I probably would have asked the seller what his deal was with raising the price if I were excited about that second box, just in case he were trying to ward off other potential buyers. >>

That could be it. I have done that myself when someone expresses an interest in a card and hasn't pulled the trigger on it yet. Usually they are offering to pay an alternative method, and I am waiting to the payment to come in.