Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What would you do with Free PSA Gradings?

I have my 6 free PSA grade voucher to use and am wondering what people's philosophies are when using them. I'm thinking my best bet is to get some marginal cards graded that I am interested in selling, but would not be worth the cost of grading them normally… even during a monthly special. For example, get a 1989 score Barry Sanders card graded as an 8 for the purpose of selling….

What have other people done with their free PSA vouchers?

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    IMO I'm not sure I consider the renewal as "free subs" unless an SMR subscription is that valuable, and thus try to sub cards expected to be over $100 or pre-57. Things that might not qualify for bulk sub pricing or monthly specials. Unless you need the turnaround time that comes with the renewal. Otherwise a 89 Sanders in PSA 8 is likely a bulk sub but might take 2 months.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I always want to send in my best cards and if I do not have some good cards to send in, I will hold on to it and just use the monthly specials to sub cheap cards. I also think this is a good time to sub cards pre 1956 as the specials are usually best for modern cards. I would prefer to have my good raw cards back in three weeks in comparison to having to wait two or three calendar months.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    The cc renewal voucher is for any cards up to $500 value. If you want to get the best return on investment I would sub higher value raw , crossover or oversized cards. Moo
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    I save them for my more expensive cards and especially if they are pre '56. Thought process being that those cards don't fall into the monthly specials.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Since I grade mostly modern, I would use them to grade oddball and oversized cards that would typically not go on special often.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't consider them free submissions and with the cap at $500 and a 7 business day turnaround I try and get the most bang for my buck.

• Options
    i like to redeem them at the show, that way theres no shipping OR waiting to get the cards back image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    use them only on oldies but goodies that are eligible then get pissed off when I get the grades back.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've typically used them for crossovers or reviews of $100-$500 valued cards.