Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wax box resealing question

With the many threads I have seen about fake wax boxes and resealing of wax packs I had a question for the board. Do you see many people realing non sport wax packs or creating fake wax boxes. I have full wax boxes I got a while ago from the Return of the Jedi Series 1, 2 and OPC, all 3 Empire Strikes back series, and Star Wars series 4 and 5. Everything looks legit on them and I paid what one would expect to pay. Not a fantasic "too good to be true" deal but not overpriced. I do not remember the sellers on ebay but Is there something to be aware of.
Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I would only be concerned if the value of the box exceeds $5.00. Below that you probably don't have to worry.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I believe there was a gentleman on here who purchased resealed packs of the classic Battlestar Galactica cards, so this absolutely happens.

Edited to add - I think it was board member Stooge that fell victim to the resealed BSG packs.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Aside from the standpoint of making it easier to sell a bunch and the collector value of a box, I dont see where it would be too profitable to reseal boxes of non sport items.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Aside from the standpoint of making it easier to sell a bunch and the collector value of a box, I dont see where it would be too profitable to reseal boxes of non sport items. >>

Probably not on the ESB & ROTJ US editions, but OPC or any of the ANH (especially series 1) unopened would be quite profitable. A BBCE wrapped Series 1 box recently sold for $1650.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Garbage Pail Kids Series 1 would bring huge bucks unopened versus opened. Most vintage sets would bring a premium unopened versus opened as well.
  • Options
    I just know that people that reseal packs are the scum of the earth.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought a lot of nonsport boxes but nothing over ~$100. I always inspect the packs as soon as the box arrives and I haven't come across anything that looked suspect as of yet. However, I would look long and hard at the 77 SW boxes as I'm sure people are resealing those. If I had any 77 SW boxes I would send them to BBCE for authenticating.
  • Options
    DtyDty Posts: 310 ✭✭
    Actually there are a bunch of non sports boxes that have been known to be tampered with....

Star Trek boxes, Battle Star Galactica, and even The Incredible Hulk packs have been known to be tampered. Any of the original Star Wars boxes (all 5 series) have been sealed at times, too.

I would concur with any box of value should be purchased from a reliable source, and not just any unknown seller on Ebay- you may want to ask the board about certain sellers before you make purchases.

Most of the time, folks here are more than willing to tell you if they have had good experiences with certain sellers.

I think you are really going to start to see a lot of the non sports wax (especially boxes valued at $100+) being authenticated by BBCE, too.

Good Luck on your search.

Tyler
    Link to my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/halftimecardsandcollectibles/

Unopened Boxes, Packs, Cards, and Tickets

Just send me a PM or email me for discount off eBay pricing. Thanks