Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Pro Set Hockey

Hello,

I work at a warehouse and my boss just bought a large collection.
In it were some of the Pro Set Errors. I know some are hard to come by and can't find any that have sold on ebay.
We listed a set with the Krushelnyski error and it sold quickly.

We also have but not sure what to list them at.

Paul Gillis bloody nose and number 37
Mike Krushelnyski no position or number
Phil Bourque corrected.
Some all star cards with the backs printed upside down Tocchet, Sakic, Turgeon, Bourque, Propp and Mike Vernon
Penguins cards upside down Zalapski, Dineen and Rob Brown.

any help with fair value would be appreciated.

Thank You
Steve

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't already seen it, here is a link to an in-depth list of the long list of errors in 1990 Pro Set Hockey
  • Options
    Thank You,

I did see the junk wax gems page. I have some all star cards not listed on there.
    Just not sure how rare some off these are.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for the hockey, but do dabble in the 1990 Pro Set FB errors. Prices are way down from where they were 1-2 years ago on many of the difficult ones to pick up, some of the cards that were $45-70 are selling for $20 now. Some of the ultra rares are still bringing top dollar, a couple Manley no-bio's recently sold for $500 & $350 (only the second and third copies that I'm aware of). You can either price them high on a BIN and take offers or start them at $0.99 auctions and let the market decide.
  • Options
    I would be interested in any Bourque variations but have no idea what to offer. If you come up with a price, send me a pm.
  • Options
    Hi Dan,

There is a Ray Bourque error and it is common.
    send me your address I'll mail one to you.
  • Options
    The Gillis bloody nose error card is incredibly rare and I know many Pro Set collectors that have been unable to find it. I would expect that an auction of that card would easily fetch $200-$400.
  • Options
    Thank You
    Bronnerea
  • Options
    I'm not sure if you have any of the Stanley Cup hologram cards within the collection, but if you do I am looking for a version of the hologram card that does not have the Stanley Cup lettering at the bottom. Apparently, it was produced both ways.
  • Options
    I'll keep an eye out.
    There is alot to go through and more to come.
  • Options
    I didn't realize 1990 Pro Set Hockey had any value. I started putting a set together over 20 years ago but never finished.
    Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    How about this error??

LINKY
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I know many Pro Set collectors that have been unable to find it. . >>

Wow. You know "many" Pro Set collectors ? You're the first one I ever met.
  • Options

<< <i>The Gillis bloody nose error card is incredibly rare and I know many Pro Set collectors that have been unable to find it. I would expect that an auction of that card would easily fetch $200-$400. >>

For inquiring minds, a visual reference:

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Plus the jersey number on the front of the card is different!!
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Plus the jersey number on the front of the card is different!! >>

They also got rid of the blood on the jersey sleeve, too.
  • Options
    This card just sold for $393.00 on ebay
    check your Pro Set cards you never know.
  • Options

<< <i>How about this error??

LINKY >>

I love the coincidence of how when you click on the link, you get the ebay message "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing." Umm, wasn't there being an "Error" in the listing the whole reason the seller listed this straw-grasp in the first place? image

• Options
    True...I've seen others like that...If it was the players finger print it might be worth something,
    but not the pressman's finger print
  • Options
    $393 sounds about right frankly, given how few examples of this card have surfaced over the years. If people are able to dig up more (classic supply vs. demand) I am sure the price will drop some, but for now, this variation is as rare and hard to find as the Dexter Manley error in the 1990 football set. The other very rare variation in the 1990 hockey set is the Shawn Burr card (#66) without any text below the stats on back.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I think I have an unopened case of this in my basement. Is there a way to tell from any markings if this is a case that could contain the shorter print and rare variations? I do believe this case was from an early production run because of the timing when I first received it.
    Thank you,
    Robert
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    There isn't any way to tell that I am aware of. I have heard many things about Pro Set collation over the years, including people finding different versions of the same card within a particular box. I bought an entire case of Pro Set Series 1 hockey a few years ago and came away with only a single Adam Oates card. I am not aware that the Oates card was printed in fewer quantities - instead I think this speaks more to how wacky some of the distribution was.
  • Options
    Well I guess I will have to open it up and check. I guess I will do that tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Robert
  • Options
    From what I know There should be at least 10 of the Gillis card out there.
    Pro Set printed 10 cards each of 10 different players on a sheet, For a Total of 100.
    So if there is 1 sheet that got cut, then there has to be 10 of that card.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are the better errors in series 1 or 2?
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

Higher value ones are in series 1. The series 2 errors are easier to find. Seems like 25% of the Jagr ones I have are errors.

• Options
    Wow I never heard of the Burr before, I'll have to look for that one.
    I know there is alot of errors in the 1990 Football series 1 also.
    I think the Manley card is in the sealed update set only?
  • Options
    Well last night during the hockey game, I opened a half a box. I got 2 of the uncommon Brad McCrimmon cards with #4 on front and with the traded stripe, 1 Jari Kurri signed with Milan stripe and what I think is a Gilles Thibaudeau card with the wavy stat lines. It was a fun rip and I will be opening the rest and another box during the next hockey game.
    Robert
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1990 Pro Set hockey series 1 and fun rip in the same sentence??? Never thought I'd see that in the year 2014.
  • Options
    The only reason it was fun was because I was doing it with my 12 year old son. He wanted to keep all of the Penguins players................and we are from Flyers country!
  • Options
    I opened the remaining box and a second box.

Box # 1 contained 2 #39 McCrimmon with #4 and the traded stripe, 2 #348 Kurri with the signed with Milan stripe and a #290 wavy stat line. Also 1 miscut Dave Babych card and only one kind of coupon card.

Box # 2 contained #120 Kasper with comma in name, 2 #72 Hanlon with stats obscured and 1 corrected, #169 Kasatonov with full quotation marks, #150 Hayward with total printed partially in black and a corrected card, AND three Basketball cards. #21 K. Malone, #24 D Robinson and #12 R Blackman. There were also 2 miscut Dave Babych cards and 1 pack had 21 cards. There were also 2 different kind of 10cent off coupon cards.
  • Options
    I noticed some off the All Star cards and Penguins have backs that are up side down.
    Penguins-Zalapski, Brown, Dineen...All-Stars-Vernon Bourque Robitaille Propp Sakic and Turgeon
    were those ever corrected?
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, then, I totally understand Robert. Ripping junk wax with kids is great. You never know what they will think is the best card ever.

Nathanael
  • Options
    I always liked Pro Set, I liked the design of them even though they printed a billion of them.
    I have over 500 of the Hockey set signed. Still need Wayne and Mario....So I haven't been trying to finish it.
  • Options
    Here is a great listing of significant errors and variations in the 1990 set. There are upside-down All-Star and Penguins cards, all of which were corrected. Of course, the list doesn't account for finding basketball cards in packs! Out of curiousity, was it 1990-1 Hoops?

http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/2013/01/05/1990-91-pro-set-hockey-errors-variations-ongoing-checklist/
  • Options
    And yes, the Manley card was produced in the sealed update packs but is very hard to find....
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a great listing of significant errors and variations in the 1990 set. There are upside-down All-Star and Penguins cards, all of which were corrected. Of course, the list doesn't account for finding basketball cards in packs! Out of curiousity, was it 1990-1 Hoops?

http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/2013/01/05/1990-91-pro-set-hockey-errors-variations-ongoing-checklist/ >>

The above, link-ified
  • Options

For the Dexter Manley 1990 Pro Set cards, it seems the Gillis Bloody Nose might be similar in price with the Dexter Manley No Bio on Back. Copies of the "No Bio on Back" have recently sold for $350.00 & $500.00. The "Mentions Substance Abuse" version has had recent sales of $520, $700 and $750. The Manley "Phojo Back" seems to be a $20 to $30 card.

• Options

<< <i>For the Dexter Manley 1990 Pro Set cards, it seems the Gillis Bloody Nose might be similar in price with the Dexter Manley No Bio on Back. Copies of the "No Bio on Back" have recently sold for $350.00 & $500.00. The "Mentions Substance Abuse" version has had recent sales of $520, $700 and $750. The Manley "Phojo Back" seems to be a $20 to $30 card. >>

Personally, I think the No Bio version is more rare than the Substance Abuse, just not as well known. I've only seen 3 of the No Bio's ever, including the two recent sales. The Substance Abuse seems to pop up a couple times a year and Phojo is pretty much available whenever someone wants one.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For the Dexter Manley 1990 Pro Set cards, it seems the Gillis Bloody Nose might be similar in price with the Dexter Manley No Bio on Back. Copies of the "No Bio on Back" have recently sold for $350.00 & $500.00. The "Mentions Substance Abuse" version has had recent sales of $520, $700 and $750. The Manley "Phojo Back" seems to be a $20 to $30 card. >>

Personally, I think the No Bio version is more rare than the Substance Abuse, just not as well known. I've only seen 3 of the No Bio's ever, including the two recent sales. The Substance Abuse seems to pop up a couple times a year and Phojo is pretty much available whenever someone wants one. >>

I'd agree the No Bio seems to be more rare. However, the recent sales prices don't reflect the relative scarcity compared with the Substance Abuse one. I do wonder what the production quantity of those 2 variations are compared with the production quantity of Bloody Nose or the No Bio Shawn Burr?

Also, it was my understanding that the Shawn Burr no bio meant no text below the stats, while the Dexter Manley no bio means no height/weight/etc. data below the photo while the text writeup below the stats is still there. I've never seen a Burr no bio error, so not certain, but I thought this was the case?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Personally, I think the No Bio version is more rare than the Substance Abuse, just not as well known. I've only seen 3 of the No Bio's ever, including the two recent sales. The Substance Abuse seems to pop up a couple times a year and Phojo is pretty much available whenever someone wants one. >>

I'd agree the No Bio seems to be more rare. However, the recent sales prices don't reflect the relative scarcity compared with the Substance Abuse one. I do wonder what the production quantity of those 2 variations are compared with the production quantity of Bloody Nose or the No Bio Shawn Burr?

Also, it was my understanding that the Shawn Burr no bio meant no text below the stats, while the Dexter Manley no bio means no height/weight/etc. data below the photo while the text writeup below the stats is still there. I've never seen a Burr no bio error, so not certain, but I thought this was the case? >>

I can't speak to the hockey errors (though should start looking through them as I think I've got quite a few 90-91 Pro Sets), but you are correct on the Manley No Bio description.

I think the recent sales prices reflect public knowledge of the Manley errors, the Substance Abuse has been documented in the price guides since 1990 whereas the No Bio is know primarily via JunkWaxGems website and I don't believe is a recognized error by the TPGs.
  • Options
    Here is a scan of the three basketball cards I got in the packs. When I opened the first pack I fanned out the cards slightly looking at the reverse of the cards. When I noticed the difference in the card reverse I right away thought I got the Stanley Cup Hologram or something really good. No luck though but I did have a puzzled look on my face for several seconds.
    Also scanned are the three miscut Babych cards. Wonder why it was only Babych though. I thought there would have been others. Maybe in the other boxes.
    Robert

• Options

<< <i>Also, it was my understanding that the Shawn Burr no bio meant no text below the stats, while the Dexter Manley no bio means no height/weight/etc. data below the photo while the text writeup below the stats is still there. I've never seen a Burr no bio error, so not certain, but I thought this was the case? >>

This is true - the Burr "no bio" card doesn't have the text underneath the stats but does have the biographical information under the picture. The Manley has the corrected text (no mention of substance abuse) underneath the stats but is missing the data found underneath the profile picture.
  • Options
    I had heard that Pro Set printed NBA Hoops cards for a year or two. I guess that finding Hoops cards in Pro Set packs proves the point. That's a great find!
  • Options
    Is the Burr with no text as rare as the Gillis or Manley?
  • Options
    At one point, I thought it was rarer than the Gillis. But it is really tough to say. The problem with both the Gillis and the Burr is that they don't seem to be too well-publicized, so I can picture a bunch of either of them sitting in a box somewhere. That said, I have only seen, or even know of, fewer than five examples of the Burr card - and all of the ones I have seen have been within the past two years. (It took me YEARS to track one down - I had been looking for a long time). So does that mean that there are fewer than 100 of each? 50? My best guess is that there were probably less than 25-50 examples of both the Burr and Gillis errors produced, but that is nothing more than a best guess.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. Thanks for the scans of the bloody nose card. (And note they left the blood on his glove).

I'd really like to see some of the other rare variations. Just fascinating stuff!
  • Options
    Thanks bronnerea,
    If that's true there are less of those than the t-206 Wagner...
    Although I doubt the Gillis and Burr would be worth as much.
    I see a Burr up now with a pic