Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Germain porcelain coins

I usually dwell on the US forum. I do, however occasionally visit here and will be doing so more often as I am becoming more into select foreign issues.

The question I have-does anyone know of a pricing or value guide for german porcelain coins from the 1920s? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about porcelain coins, but a collection of them (157 lots) sold yesterday at a Dr. Busso Peus Nachf auction in Germany. Maybe you can get some information from that. The prices realized can be found here:
    https://www.peus-muenzen.de/Alle_Muenzen_der_aktuellen_Auktion_en.AxCMS
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    By no means an expert on these things, but are these the notgelds of Germany? I believe that they were made in several different materials. I have about 50 different ones in zinc, brass, aluminum and iron. They come in round, square, hexagonal, holed, reeded edges, scalloped edges, ribbed edges as well as polygonal. I have none of the porcelain however. They were also issued in paper.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    1509eric1509eric Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Porcelain coins are made under the state of Saxony by Meissen Porcelan factory in the years 1920 and 1921. Is a type of "Notgeld" from that period.
    All coins have the manufactor mark, the crossed sword on it, same like othe procelan from the manufactur.
    They made coins with value 20, 50 Pfennig and 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 Mark.
    The issue 1920 is low in mintage, about 4.000 each the issue 1920 mintage arround 500.000 and 70.000 for the 5, 10, 20 Mark.
    Price for the 1920 coins 60 - 90 Euro and the 1921 issue 6 to 35 Euro
    collector from Germany
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all who have responded. Another area of interest for me are the modern doubled dies from Brazil and Mexico. Some real monsters in those. Anyone else here into them?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like these and have bought them over the years- they seem to add to any German collection as do the Westphalian notgeld issues up to 1923.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Thanks for the new info Eric and welcome aboard. I see that you are a new member.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    1509eric1509eric Posts: 43 ✭✭
    olmanjon...thanks

but not sure why is show "new member"....?!
    already here a while :-)
    collector from Germany
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Your title is based on # of posts not length of membership.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay